Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/16/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/16/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 5/16/11

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blackrhino2

Terri, what's the name of your book? I want to look at it! You are so accomplished!!
Hahaha! Go ahead and look, it's nothing like a major breakthrough or anything Self-help book!

It's called "Train Your Brain to Get Happy" -- you can amazon.com it. I think there's even a portion of the text you can look at for free now.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Mern today is going well. I made the healthy choice of coming back to the office to eat the lunch I had brought rather than join some others for lunch. My will power is still low so avoiding temptation is good. The sun is trying to shine here which may help. Mary
Old 05-19-2011, 06:27 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, sorry you had a rough day. I think it's like the stomach bug and can be spread through cyber-space. Yesterday I did fine, but this afternoon I had a break in the willpower and wouldn't you know it, stuffed down 3.5 brownies. Granted I made them myself so the house smells like heaven, I served 20 to the pre-school students and their parents, split one with the little girl I babysit and then BAM I ate the last 3 in the car on the way home from the park, which was all of 4 blocks. OY!!! Why do I do that? Oh well, time to move on and have added the required 50 PU's to tomorrow workout (I'm actually not over budget yet, but I will be if I eat more than 14 calories for dinner). I think part of the problem is Mr. Screamy Pants. I have him today and he's living up to his nickname. It's very stressful to say the least. He's also been very very difficult to feed since all he wants to do is arch back and howl. Just a minute ago he finally finally finally stopped screaming, he'd been at it for 1hr 10 minutes. That was his second long bout today, the first was for just about an hour. And here's the worst part, his mother isn't due to pick him up for another 5 hours. Wow that kid has a serious pair of lungs.

Canary, no I have not have tingling and/or numbness lately, every now and again I'll have a bit of it, usually only when I'm extremely stressed out, over heated, exhausted, haven't eaten enough or have had too much caffeine, and more often than not it takes a combination of those things. For the most part I keep it well managed. The last time I had that feeling my husband was having heart surgery, I had been too nervous to eat or sleep for about 3 days, and the only thing in my stomach was nasty hospital waiting room coffee. Terri says that she gets tingling and numbness from chronic low blood pressure, which I also have, although I've rarely fainted from it like she does. I fainted a few times when I was pregnant, once after sitting in an extremely hot car in FL and another time after I'd had knee surgery and had been unable to eat for a couple of days, although that might have been from the pain meds, the dose was off because I'd lost a bunch of weight following the surgery and should have been taking a lower dose. Live and learn.

blackrhino, believe that woman that says she's copping out by coming back to work after maternity leave, she is. Staying home with the kids is very difficult and simultaneously rewarding. The Army stole the motherhood slogan when it said "it's the toughest job you'll ever love". Part of the stress of it comes from ourselves, as we have expectations of being perfect at it. Impossible and unrealistic, but ingrained in us all the same. Mom's are on duty 24/7, "doing it right" is a constantly moving target, and even when you get a break or get it "right", it's only for a few moments at a time. Every now and then I tap my husband on the shoulder and say "You're it" and leave the house. I need just a little bit of time away to reboot, long enough to miss them for a second. I'll be doing that to him on Saturday (he doesn't know that yet...). It's been run run run this week, next week will be worse. He's been away on business for the last 2 nights and then tonight he has golf until after the kids are in bed, same schedule next week too. The hardest part for me is that DH is the strong silent type and he spends most of his work day on the phone talking to other adults, so by the time he gets home he's out of things to say, and I'm left starving for adult conversation.

Good grief, screamy pants is at it again, maybe I need to read him Terri's book? Gotta go.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-19-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
Good grief, screamy pants is at it again, maybe I need to read him Terri's book? Gotta go.
Ouch!!! Are you saying that her book would put him to sleep?

Cat fight?
Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by almeeker
Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Ouch!!! Are you saying that her book would put him to sleep?

Cat fight?
LOL!

I'd take it as a win if it puts him to sleep OR helps him zen out -- because at least SOMEONE'S brain would be happy (almeeker or Mr. Screamy Pants, take your pick!)

I'm too tired to catfight. Maybe later
Old 05-19-2011, 09:14 AM
FitDay Member

Update for Wednesday:

1. Enter foods every day - including the weekend. Yes, Yes, yes
2. Keep calories under 2,000 good lord no, No, NO
3. Physical therapy for my wrist 3x/DAY sort of, again sort of, yes
4. Prepare & bring lunches from home. YES!, yes, yes.

I'm going to keep checking in even though clearly I'm not mentally in the place where I need to be to actually be on a diet of any sort. All the more reason - no?

I brought a healthy lunch to work yesterday but still grabbed a bagel & soda in the afternoon. Then I worked late & when I got home I did a lot of emotional eating. A little piece of cheese here a slice of bread there, a spoon full of peanut butter. I'm not hiding in the closet with a bag of doritos & a gallon of ice cream... but it's still not a good thing.

Do any of the other emotional eaters out there have any good tricks for stopping? I may just drop a truth-bomb on someone today to see if that will release some of my anxiety. I hesitate because you know, I want to be nice, don't want to upset anyone, but it's worrying about those kinds of things that run me into the kitchen.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:03 PM
FitDay Member

hey rebel,
what if you allowed yourself one treat a day, and knowing that you had that treat to look forward helped keep you on track?

i generally allow myself one treat a day. I try to keep it small. Then on the weekend I can have a bigger treat. I used to just eat really well all week, and then try to also eat pretty well on the weekend, but then a pizza would be put in front of me and before I knew it I had eaten 5 pieces. So I am trying to indulge more often, while still being healthy. This is hard, but hopefully do-able. I think it takes practice, as I might have eaten too many sweets today, but for me it seems to keep me saner since I haven't binged in maybe 1.5-2 weeks.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Rebel, a new trick for me is to use the journal tab in FitDay before I eat something. I go in there and write a quick note about what's going on and why I'm eating. "Because I'm hungry" is a good thing to have in there. "Because I'm ticked off!" isn't. It does make me stop and think.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Rebel, a new trick for me is to use the journal tab in FitDay before I eat something. I go in there and write a quick note about what's going on and why I'm eating. "Because I'm hungry" is a good thing to have in there. "Because I'm ticked off!" isn't. It does make me stop and think.
that guy on YouTube that I was talking about yesterday just posted a video about that. I think this is his other channel, geared towards women.
YouTube - ‪4 UNSTOPPABLE FAT LOSS TIPS For Women- Unleash Your Inner Goddess!‬‏
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

Rebel,

If "emotional eater" were in the dictionary, my picture would be beside it.

If something is bothering you enough to cause you anxiety, I would consider talking it over with the other person. Sometimes the subject may not be fun, but necessary to clear the air. In my younger days, I stayed up many a night worrying about things that seem silly now or things that never ended up happening at all. Now, I've learned to get things off of my chest quickly. Some may find me "direct". I think it's quite liberating. It's a lesson that I've been trying to teach my kids so that they don't make the same mistake that I did.

When I need to mull over something, I also use journaling... have since I was in high school. Sometimes, the answer I seek is obvious once written.

When I'm angry, I hike. (People that have read my posts have heard me say this a million times.) I'm fortunate enough to live on the edge of a woods. So, when I'm angry or frustrated, I pound the trail HARD! A good sweat, a good climb, some good music, or the solitude of a stump in the middle of nowhere provide me with a release. I come home refreshed and the need to eat has passed.

Well, I have to pack for tomorrow. Wish me luck, y'all!

quinn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.