Notices

Tough week

Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Tough week

Hi All,
Last week while I was away on business one of my kitties ended up in the critical care unit after being hit by a car. My husband found him pretty shortly after it happened (we don't know exactly when) and was sure he was dead. But after being put in the car, the kitty (Humphrey) started hyperventilating and DH spun around and took him to our regular vet. They managed to stablize him enough to transfer him to the critical care center about 30 minutes away and there he has been for a week.

Poor DH had to call me to give me the news - at that point we didn't know whether he would survive until I could get home 2 days later. But survive he did, and although he has had some ups and downs, it looks like he will make a mostly full recovery. DH was doubley heartbroken that this happened, because normally Humphrey wouldn't have been outside at that time of day. But he was being pesty and since DH was working at home that day he figured to just let Humphrey burn off a little energy.

I've been checking in here from time to time, responding to the easy threads, but not really logging foods. So far, it doesn't seem that I have channeled any of my sadness or anxiety into poor eating decisions, so I guess maybe the good eating habits are sticking.

Humphrey has one more surgery to repair a fractured hip which should happen tomorrow and if all continues to go well we are hoping to have him home by Monday. We are so grateful that there was not spinal or cranial damage. The hip fracture is affecting mobility of his left leg, but we are optimistic that once the pressure is off the nerves following surgery that he will regain mobility... time will tell.

Needless to say I have been a bit distracted, but I continue to enjoy reading about everyone's unique lives and experiences.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

Oh Pam, how heartbreaking! I'm glad that Humphrey is hanging in there for you, and you have my thoughts and best wishes for him and your whole family. I hope that the surgery goes well and he can be home with you and all his comforts just as soon as possible. Big hugs to you.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Sorry to hear that Pam, I have two kitties who delight me every day, and I've gone through extensive medical care with several in the past. A little purr and whisker touch for you.

Abby
Old 05-11-2011, 06:48 AM
FitDay Member

Poor Humphrey and poor you. My darling Henri is lying on my lap as I write and I just hate when he is under the weather or off his food. They are so independent but still rely on us and that's why I love my cat so much. Hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default From one cat person to another...

Oh, Pam, I am so sorry that happened, but glad to know that Humphrey will be okay. I know it's a stressful thing. I hope his healing is quick and complete! Keep us updated, please!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Sorry about Humphrey Pam. I hope he makes a full recovery. I'm sure you will catch up on fitday once things settle down. Mary
Old 05-11-2011, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, and have my fingers crossed for his full recovery. Dealing with Humphrey injuries without feeding your stress is very inspiring to me, since I'm a stress eater too. Humphrey sounds like an amazing little fur baby, it's a good thing he's a cat and had 9 lives to start with eh?
Old 05-11-2011, 05:15 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Thank you for all you kind thoughts and wishes

We visited Humphrey this evening and he was pretty high spirited.

Although he is still more anemic than the surgens would like, they feel time is running out and they need to start resetting the hip bones before they start reknitting on their own... in all the wrong places. If it weren't for the anemia it would be full steam ahead. But with the low red blood counts there is an outside chance that he may not have the strength to make it off the table. DH and I have decided to take that chance. So tomorrow afternoon he'll get the pelvis, the sciatic nerves, and the thigh bone restored to their proper location.

Dave and I think that he is a pretty strong kitty with a very strong will to live, so one more little invasion will only set his resolve.

But we'll keep you posted. He sure looked great this evening, even if he couldn't really use all 4 legs, yet.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM
FitDay Member

Keeping my fingers crossed for Humphrey today.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator

Humphrey will be in my thoughts today Pam, best wishes, stay strong kitty!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.