Notices

Tough week

Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Things are looking much much better

Humphrey got through his pelvic surgery last night very well. He now has 2 titanium screws reattaching and reorienting his left pelvis to his spine. I got to see the before and after X-rays, pretty dramatic - no wonder he was in so much discomfort.

This afternoon when we went to see him he was in such good spirits. I even got him purring for the first time since the accident. He thinks it is definitely time to blow this pop stand and tried, on a couple of occasions, to stand - which is a super sign - the surgeon was most impressed.

The biggest problem has been persistent anemia due to an auto-immune lyseing of his own red blood cells. Apparently it is pretty common with trauma victems. They started some steroid treatments but have now backed off as he seems to be repairing it on his own - yeah!

So if things continue on this trajectory we should bring him home by Sunday or Monday. Which is really good if for no other reason than settling our other kitty - Harriet - down. She has just been beside herself and really rather annoying without Humphrey's company and entertainment.

Thanks for the thoughts and well wishes, all!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

So glad to hear this news! Thanks for filling us in, Pam.

I'm not surprised Harriet is out of sorts...they really notice when something's not right. Best to both your kitties .
Old 05-14-2011, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

I am sorry to hear about Humphrey. But also glad that he is better now.
It's tough on you.
Mai
Old 05-22-2011, 01:19 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default update on Humphrey

Humphrey came home last Monday, so tomorrow will be 1 week. At the moment he does not have the use of his left leg, but we are seeing, little-by-little, improvement in his ability to pick it up and move it.

He has to be fed pureed food by an esophogeal tube 3 times a day, which took a little time to master. If it goes down too fast he throw is all back up. He still doesn't have much of an appetite, but he is in major snuggle and purr mode, so we don't think that he is in too much discomfort. He can actually eat around the tube, but I don't think it feels very good so after a few of his favorite treats he isn't much interested in food.

Once his red blood cell count gets back in the normal range in a week or so, we will reevaluate the feeding method

We are optimistic that he will fully recover. At worst he may lose the leg. But as young and strong as he is/was/will be, we are sure that he will adapt to the the tri-pawed lifestyle with the gusto he brings to the rest of his life.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

What a brave guy! I'm glad he's got his purr machine going and seems content, after all he's been through. He's lucky to have his doting peeps .

I hope he recovers fully, and quickly. Though the cat across the street from my mom has three legs and it hasn't slowed him down a bit.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 AM
FitDay Member

Glad to hear things are looking up for the little guy. Hope he continues to improve, he sounds like a fighter.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Happy to hear that he's content and able to snuggle and love with you at home, if nothing else (and I hope Harriet is at ease as well!) I hope that his feedings continue to go well and he makes little improvements every day!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default On the road to recovery

Humphrey after his hip surgery, which was a week after the abdominal surgery.

Humphrey today. He managed to climb up on the 1 piece of furniture he is not allowed on... but what could I do???

His adopted sister, Harriet, still doesn't quite know what to do

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and comments. Much love to all of my cyber friends!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Humphery post surgery.JPG (13.8 KB, 11 views)
Humphrey home.JPG (15.5 KB, 10 views)
Harriet trying to deal.JPG (15.7 KB, 9 views)