Notices

Not enough calories help

Old 03-01-2010, 03:52 PM
FitDay Member

Default Not enough calories help

OK I know this is so weird. Been on fit day since August. I have only lost 15 pounds 35 more to go. Suddenly I am having trouble eating enough calories. I am eating three meals a day as much as I want and some times just have to stop before my portion is gone. My dogs are getting fat. I seem to fill up between 750 and 900 calories for the day and then I have to force myself to eat more because I know this is not enough.

My usual calorie intake has been between 1000 and 1200 a day and some times up to 1300. I am 5'5". I am really not hungry. Any suggestions on something healthy to fill the calorie amount and not be bad for me. Easy to swallow when I am not hungry. Not sugar or sweets. I know not eating enough is bad. Been having this trouble for a couple of weeks and I am not sick. Good energy for 60 doing lots of things.

Sorry I am having this problem and whining about it when every one else is so hungry but this is almost as bad because I know I will go into body starvation mode if I do not eat enough.

Thanks Maggie
Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Default Hi Maggie

The first thing that comes to my mind is nuts...relatively high in calories and the good kind of fat, as well as protein. In addition to eating them by themselves, you could add them to salads or other dishes, breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

Raisins and other dried fruits (don't know if that's included in "sweets" for you) are calorically dense also; you can eat a small portion for a good bit of calories and the sugars are natural, at least.

Good luck .
Old 03-01-2010, 04:07 PM
FitDay Member

Another food you can add is beans. They are a good source of protein and fiber and should help your intake. They are good on salad or make a homemade bean soup that you can control what and how much goes in it.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:22 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Cassie and Peanut, Great idea and we do have some nuts here. Never thought if that one. Would not take many. Like the raisins too. I think fruit is fine just not candy and cookies will be the end of me. Maybe this will all pass soon and just a phase of my journey. Will be exercising more soon and maybe that will help with wanting to eat more.

Thanks again. Maggie
Old 03-02-2010, 04:20 AM
FitDay Member

try peanutbutter
Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

How about smoothies? You could make them with skim milk and add protein powder and fruit.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM
FitDay Member

OH Yes I love peanut butter too. Good one. Sounds like the peanut thing is in my favor. I like Smoothies too. Just not as much in the winter as I do in the summer. Burrrr.

Thanks so much. This really helps. I was feeling so frustrated needing to eat and not wanting to because nothing sounded good. Peanuts and peanut butter went totally out of my head.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 AM
FitDay Member

if you like almonds and peanut butter... you can make your own almond butter. same sensation, better option, and i really love the taste. i buy a bag of almonds, roast them for 5-10 min, let them cool to just warmer than room temp and put them in a food proccessor. then you just run it until you have almond butter really. it take about 5-10 min of mixing and you have to stop to clean off the sides quite a bit. once the oil has separated and it has formed a butter, if it isn't as smooth as you want, you can drissle a bit of olive oil or coconut oil in the proccessor while it is running. (it doesnt take much). Then if you want to add a bit of sweetness to it ( i do) i slowly add a 1/2 tbsp at a time of sweetener while it is running. Pick whatever sweetener you want. i've used splenda or brown sugar in the past, but i found some natural cane brown sugar stuff that i use now. i only add about a tbsp and a half most times.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Another thing to do is to look at what foods you are eating. If you are using fat free products, switch to low fat. If you are using low fat, switch to "regular." That can increase calories without increasing portions.

Also, be sure you are drinking plenty of water, but not right before you eat.

...and my personal favorite addition is avocado...

Be well,
janice
Old 03-04-2010, 03:19 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you for answering mcestnik and janice. I did do peanut butter the one night and 20 peanuts last night and a little milk. Was able to get the calories up to 1166 and 1177. Weird how that worked out.LOL Great idea to go with the higher version of the same food. Will also try that. Almond butter sounds wonderful.

Maggie

Last edited by missmaggieelizabeth; 03-04-2010 at 03:19 AM. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.