Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread 4/25/11

Old 04-27-2011, 07:14 AM
FitDay Member

Mai, best wishes. Cassie has a good point: just because something worked for each of us doesn't mean it will work for you. I hope you and DH will be able to sit down and have a serious discussion and come to an agreement or compromise that will make you both happy and alleviate some of your financial stress.

Cassie, you are so sweet. Yeah, a 64 year old usually DOES have a lot of experience--some good, some bad, some happy, some sad. I've certainly made my share of mistakes along the line--the key is to learn from the past, deal with the present, and hope you use good sense in the future. LOL OMG--high school orientation is such a milestone. Good for you for eating the cucumber--I've eaten that before going out in order to avoid chips. It helped most of the time. So how'd you do at the Mexican restaurant? Congrats on your reports so far this week and I'm glad you're feeling in a little better spirits. I DETEST the term "morbidly obese" but that's what I AM according to Dr. Oz and other TV shows. FitDay is nicer--calling me "extremely obese." But I'm working on it. I saw your pics on Photobucket. You look very trim and gorgeous!

Julia, congrats on the weigh-in! Nice that you've still got three months to change Lou's mind on the rent or reach a compromise. DH and I have always been good about compromising and if for some reason we couldn't compromise on any certain matter, whomever it affected the most was given the right to make the final decision. If something affected us both equally, if one said no, the answer was no. I used that "veto" power only once--when DH wanted to take out a home equity loan to buy stock after our house was paid off in full. Yes, I surely DO hate it that men lose weight so easily, but then, too, look at how hard Mike is struggling to maintain--so it's not all cut and dried, I guess. It really is hard for me to be confrontational, too. I think of things I WANT to say or do, but sometimes have a hard time implementing them. My problem is sorting out whether my idea is really helpful in relieving the stress or just a way of venting and not solving anything.

Almeeker! Wow, you certainly DO know how to get the most for your grocery store bucks! That's amazing and my hat is off to you, gal!!! By the way, I'm absolutely with whoever said it (was it Quinn?)... I'd politely tell that person my husband should not have said I'd babysit Mother's Day--that I already have other plans. I don't feel that's dishonest--your plans are to NOT take on extra child care that day. No need for you to come up with an explanation of what you will be doing. Golly, that's just darling about the little boy crooning to Mr. Screamy Pants about wanting to stick Play Doh in his ears so he couldn't hear all the screaming. You're doing great on your protein--and pretty darned close on the carbs. Congrats on all your positive achievements. "Sunday Supper" chickens. LOL I remember once when I was a kid my siblings and I each got a duckling for Easter. They were really cute when little, but my Mom hated stepping in duck poo in our back yard, so when they got big enough they became Sunday supper. My little sister, then about five, cried all during dinner.

Mike, I have no idea what men have where we have ovaries. Could it be a pulled muscle or something? I hope whatever it is heals soon! That's great news that things may be looking up for you financially soon. Your report looks pretty darned good, too! Congrats!

Cybervox, it's wonderful news that Aki seems to be improving. I know nothing about chickens but wondered if she could die from having that broken egg inside her--so sad to read that's what happened to Jane. It's so sweet that you get so attached to your chickens--each with her own story and personality. Good that you respect the safety precautions about Aki's eggs as far as other people go. As long as you make an informed decision for yourself, that's fine. Oh, I loved reading about your weather and chickens--so kind of you to elaborate. Glad you like William and Kate. I'm getting up at 5AM Friday to begin watching coverage. So glad I'm retired and have nothing I have to do that day--besides exercise--and I can do that in my living room with my DVD in the computer while watching the wedding coverage on TV. That's great that your dad will record it for you. People here are anticipating both the dress and the cake--some bakers already making knock-offs of the cake and knock-offs of her dress will be a big seller. Interesting about your grandfather's skin coloring and uncles'and aunt's tanning abilities compared to yours. I guess you got all the fair-skinned recessive genes, eh? LOL I had unusually pointy canine teeth until my dentist's assistant needed practice and offered to file them down somewhat and add on fake material for only the cost of the material (free labor) to make them look nicer. I agreed and it's lasted over 20 years so far.

Quinn, calories "over by 10 malted milk balls and 2 peeps. Good luck with the beading and with REST. Sometimes I wonder if the guilt about rest is something we learned as women--most of us work/worked from the time we got up until the time we went to bed whether we worked outside the home or not, whereas (it seems to me) most men could relax when they were done with their work for earning a living. Mike, I know it's not ALL men--you are probably an exception.

Last edited by Mern; 04-27-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM
FitDay Member

I made such good veggie soup yesterday out of homemade ham stock, leftover Easter ham, cabbage, green beans, celery, tomatoes and spices that DH wants just soup and a sandwich for dinner tonight. So I don't have to cook! Yippee!

Tomorrow I have to be extra careful during the day because we're going out to a retirement dinner/seminar with friends and I have no idea what the dinner will be. I plan on eating a tossed salad with low carb dressing before we leave the house. I already put a piece of sugar free candy in my purse to help me avoid the dessert offering/s.

Last edited by Mern; 04-27-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

OMG my faux ovaries are killing me. I know, I know, y'all are thinking 'what does he know about pain?' Well, I can say that my faux ovaries have me worried. Between that and my lower back pain, I don't know what hit me. I had a doctor's appt scheduled (yes I go to the doctor, and yes I ask for directions) for Friday. I think I'll mention this to my doc. I would so much rather have muscle soreness than this!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:33 AM
FitDay Member

Mike,

I'm certainly not medically trained, just a mom. But the first thing that comes to mind, especially with back pain, is bladder/kidney infection or hernia.

If it gets any worse, try to be seen by your doctor tomorrow.

... or maybe from hanging with all of us and all of the estrogen floating around, you actually DID sprout ovaries!!! lol
Old 04-27-2011, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Mike,

I'm certainly not medically trained, just a mom. But the first thing that comes to mind, especially with back pain, is bladder/kidney infection or hernia.

If it gets any worse, try to be seen by your doctor tomorrow.

... or maybe from hanging with all of us and all of the estrogen floating around, you actually DID sprout ovaries!!! lol
lol, God I hope i didn't sprout any... what's next, hot flashes?

First thing that came to mind (besides ovaries) is a kidney stone, but I don't drink sodas and I'm able to pee just fine.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
FitDay Member

Um no you don't get hot flashes after you sprout ovaries, you get PMS. It does sort of sound like PMS, or maybe a groin pull or possibly spinal/nerve pain. Any of those hurt like the devil and would be in that area. Is it from starting P90X or did it start before that? You might ask the doc if you can get a script for Flexeril, it's a muscle relaxant, helps me tremendously when the shoulder acts up, which is a spinal/nerve/pain issue.

Mern you are right, I need to have a discussion with my husband (and his sister) about exactly where my boundaries lie. I talked to my mother earlier, she of course took DH's side (she always does). She firmly believes that I get kids dumped on me right and left because clearly I'm the best mom for the job. Whereas I'm convinced I must have the word "SUCKER" printed somewhere on the back of my head where everyone can see it, save me. I'm better now, I was in a particularly bitchy mood earlier. You are so sweet to write such thoughtful things to all the regulars here. I'm loving the plans you make to go out and have fun and keep yourself on the straight and narrow health-wise. I think I need to find myself some of that sugar-free candy you are using. I also think it's sort of funny that your husband gets annoyed with Richard Simmons, I'm sure mine would too LOL.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-27-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
OMG my faux ovaries are killing me. I know, I know, y'all are thinking 'what does he know about pain?' Well, I can say that my faux ovaries have me worried. Between that and my lower back pain, I don't know what hit me. I had a doctor's appt scheduled (yes I go to the doctor, and yes I ask for directions) for Friday. I think I'll mention this to my doc. I would so much rather have muscle soreness than this!
You know it's funny, the first thing I thought of when you mentioned your faux-varies (haha!) was inguinal hernia -- which is fairly common in men but rare in women. They're usually VERY low in the abdomen, though -- somewhere between the faux-vary area and the groin, and they usually have bulges associated with them.

If the pain is in your back though....might be another type of hernia like quinn said! I'm glad you're going to talk to your doctor about it.
FitDay Member

Time to try and catch up...

Quinn - Chickens are among the most low-maintenance pets, most of the time. I just seem to have bad luck with them. They can live in a garden (minimum 6 foot fence all round and no holes, mainly to keep dogs and foxes out, but chickens can get over lower ones too) roaming free or in a covered run. They need a "house" with perches to sleep on, and preferably nestboxes to lay their eggs in in peace, but apart from that, clean water and food and the occasional mucking out and they're good. They will usually lay slightly later each day, then take a day off and lay early the next morning, but a good layer can lay 5-6 days a week. Houdini didn't take a day off for a couple of months when she was younger. Try and talk him 'round, it's so worth it, and if you get youngsters and read up, you can get them pretty friendly and some even enjoy being made a fuss of.

Almeeker - as far as money goes, it looks like a lot of people could learn a lot from you. And for the most part I mean my 19-25 yr old colleagues who "don't have the money" to chip in when they ask me to bake a cake, but manage to go out drinking in a club with £10 entry and £4 drinks and get so drunk they can't stand up, and THEN moan about being unable to afford their bills or buy their favourite chocolate or whatever. They don't see the connection somehow. They see their "wants" as more important, rather like Terri's BF's iPhone, and have no idea how to budget whatsoever. I rather like Julia's % budget plan, I don't see why it wouldn't work for a single person too.
I wouldn't want a rooster with my chooks, Houdini (and now Pol) is noisy enough. Houdini's the only one not laying now, tho I don't know why and apart from being rather heavier than she was she seems fine. Everyone else lays most days. As far as colours go, Jane laid, and now Sakura lays, large eggs in the standard off-white-pinky-beige, whatever you'd call it. Misty, the Araucana, laid little eggs that were pale sky-blue to oceanic green depending on her day, and every breed that lays blue eggs is crossed with the araucana at some point in its past. The Sussex twins, Pol and Bel, lay the usual colour but very small. Aki lays medium (despite being a tiny chicken) brown eggs, tho how brown varies from day to day, and Houdini's eggs were always PURE white and absolutely huge. They all taste sooooo good, with nice dark yellow yolks from all the greens they get given. I wish I could look on cabbage and spinach and similar as "treats", I'd be much healthier! Although they do rather like bread and cake, but only get an ounce or so between 5 of them. Porridge goes down well in winter too, mixed with their regular food to kick-start their day. There's not usually a lot to do maintenance-wise with the birds themselves, but they're the only pets we have (the Darkling beetles I breed for their larvae - mealworms which all birds adore - don't really count, you can't really cuddle them, tho I did find one escapee in my shoe once ) so we pamper them with treats and playtime like we would any other animal.
I'm slightly confused - Mother's Day here was in March - when is it over there? I always know now, my mother's funeral was 2 days after MD last year, and still no-one would cover my shift at work. This year didn't feel much better, but while everyone asks me to do theirs, their nights of drinking are more important than returning the favour, so I'm not doing them any more favours until they learn about give-and-take. Your husband should really not have agreed that YOU would babysit on YOUR day, so if he won't compromise, make him do it. HE agreed to it, afterall, when you'd already said no. And the child's mother doesn't really sound responsible enough to be a parent, even tho it's not really my place to say it, if she just goes off like that without any regard for anyone else.

Mern - I can't imagine life without my chickens now, every bird has a totally different personality and voice - I can tell who's shouting (I suppose you'd call it squawking or crowing - it's bloody loud tho) without looking. Aki doesn't generally shout tho, she's extremely quiet, and when she does squawk she's a bit hoarse. I don't think she sees the point.
I would never have my canines file down, I rather like looking like a half-vampire It also has practical uses when people are bugging me - I grin and they go quiet, or when threatened, I snarl, curling my lip up dog-like to show a fang and people tend to back off. I was also once told they were cute, which I found weird, and one halloween I was asked where I got them from... and found myself very much alone 10 seconds after I said - and proved by yanking on them - that they were real. When all else fails and I just feel fat and ugly, as sometimes happens, I always like my weird eyes - which confuse even the optician - and my fangs.

Mike - I really hope the pain goes away soon. I agree with Quinn, it sounds a little like kidney trouble. This link SHOULD work in the US, I know it's a UK thing, but it lets you check your symptoms and gives you possible diagnoses and advice or instructions to go to/call a doctor, depending on what it seems to be. It's usually pretty accurate NHS Direct - Check your symptoms I hope it's just something transient, so you're back to your normal self soon. I watched the vid, it's nice to be able to have a voice to go with the face and the words, and even with the little gain in BF% you still look pretty good

I've eaten a load of crap today, but since I ate very little yesterday and didn't eat any of my easter eggs AT Easter, I've been eating them. I hit 2400 cal, but with my job i burn about 2600-3000 per day, and i don't take into account the time I spend working around the fridges, which must up it a little to help me keep warm as I don't bother adding extra layers, and I still have a deficit for the day, albeit a small one. I did manage to drink plenty before work, tho very little AT work, and am gonna down one, possibly two, 16oz glasses before bed.

OK, it's coming up to 1am and I have work tomorrow afternoon, a late Easter delivery for tomorrow, and a possible trip to see the chicken expert who runs the local feed store and breeds chickens there, depending on how Aki is, so I should probably try to get some sleep now. Aki's eaten a fair bit and was apparently quite energetic when they let her out with Houdini and Sakura (Pol and Bel are still too flighty and likely to run away, our rear fence is low enough for them to jump over into a ditch that runs for a few miles) and actually jumped out of her hutch when the lid was lifted, so it looks like she's gonna be fine. Maybe I'll be able to sleep better tonight, I've been having bad Aki-centred dreams when I HAVE gotten to sleep, which then wake me up 'cos I can't stand the thought of finding her like *that*. She's back on her own in the hutch, but she grew up in it so it's far less stressful than the box in the garage we always had to put Jane in when she was in that state. Although I expect Aki, being the completely fearless little creature she is, would probably go exploring. The garage has been converted into an electronics workshop in which dad builds transducers, some of which he designed, as his home-based business, so she'd find lots to do. Knowing her, she'd probably jump up onto his workbench in the hope of finding treats.

Anyhow, that's enough from me, I call it bedtime... *yawn* Catch y'all tomorrow... or rather, this morning...
Old 04-27-2011, 12:22 PM
FitDay Member

Cyberbox, I ate too much today too!

I secretly devoured 4 brownies at school. I say secretly bc no one saw me eating them. I feel more guilty because of that for some reason. Maybe bc I ate them too quickly which wouldn't have happened if a professor was standing next to me.

I ran for 30 mins today and did a 40 min walk while talking to my parents on the cell. I'm not sure how many cals I burned but my total consumption was 1,959. I feel overly full.

The scale this AM read 122.6. Which is great! Then I sabotaged myself. I'm worth it, I'm worth it, I'm worth it. Need to talk myself out of going overboard when I feel like I'm near to goal.

Tomorrow is a new day. The kitchen is closed tonight and hopefully tomorrow I will be satisfied with my own healthy, home cooked food, and will be able to talk myself down from inhaling brownies.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe inhaling brownies is an epidemic, I had the SAME problem today, only I had mine with ice cream. Low-fat, sugar-free ice cream, but at 90 calories/serving it's not exactly health food. I have PMS and had a little spat with DH over his pain in the behind sister, tomorrow is a new day and I have to start it with push-ups and planks. Maybe I'll throw Bob Harper in the DVD player as a penance for my failings today.

Last edited by almeeker; 04-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.