Notices

100 lb club

Old 03-22-2010, 04:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by speedyfair
Hi all

It's sounds like everyone is doing good- we all struggle some and sometimes your hit a plateau- same weight for three days -trying to get into the next decade and the scale won't drop - just keep going and I know it will eventually get there. I realize I'm in the for the rest of my life and not a short term loss.

We went out last night and had a couple of drinks, but did not do bad with the food- left room to splurge a little, but the greatest thing is I actually got out on the dance floor- I would have never done that six months ago. Yea.
I'm nearing a decade mark myself and have been fearing this as well. The last time I hit a plateau was getting below 200 and I hovered between 201 and 200 for 7 days. I was starting to think I was sleep walking and eating in my sleep, but I got past it - eventually. This morning I weighed 191.1, so over the next few days I imagine I'll feel like you do trying to get below 190. Do you think we psych ourselves out over a decade mark?

Good job on the dance floor! Maybe you burned enough calories to break the plateau? I love to dance, it's my absolute favorite workout.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Hello everyone.I am sorry I haven't been here to write. I had abad headache adn then a bad sinus ifection. I missed work. When I got on the scale yesterday I was down 4 pounds-hurray-. I am so tired of not having any energy and the weather is anot helping much. there has been a cold wind blowing the last couple of days and tonight it is snowing and sticking to the garage roof. I am so glad I don't have to scrape windows and 5:30 am. I have been trying to get the caloires and fat grams down. I have been a bit more active. Saturday I went to a garden symposium and listened to four speakers. I did relly well on lunch. I love chocolate but can't eat it anymore as I gives me migraines, I do cheat once in a while. I to am looking forward to shopping in the regular closes rack.Though I think it will take a while. I can't believe it is snowing tonight. I am going to make myself do my walk away the pounds tapes at least twice this week. I am going to have to clean out the greenhouse so I can move all the seedling out there this coming saturday, that will be a work out. I have thought about getting a wii but just can't come up with the money yet.
I have found out something over the years about platues. If you measure yourself when you start and about once a monthy there after when you hit a platue pull out the measureing tape. Muscle wieghs more then fat and takes up a lot less room. Sometimes the body just has to take up some inches rather then loose pounds.
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend. Nyda
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

Hi All, I just joined too, and am in pretty much the same boat. It's actually nice to see that there are others out there in the same place I am that can relate! I'm just starting Fitday today, but have been working out for about a week now and starting to watch everything that goes in my mouth very closely. About 5 years ago I did a similar plan which involved keeping a journal of everything I ate, drank, and exercised, and it really made a huge difference. Also being accountable (having someone else weigh and measure me, which this time is going to be my husband) is a huge thing as well. Then if I cheat, it's not going to be just me that notices! Anyway, good luck and I hope we will be welcomed into the 100+ group! Can't wait to start reading everyone's success stories and hoping soon I'll have some of my own! Cindy
Old 03-23-2010, 09:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default This BOard has really taken off...

I'm glad to see so many of you ladies joining in. It's been a while since I've posted anything here. Not that I've been too busy. Just trying to get some things straight. When I re-started my losing in January, I wanted to do Low-carb. I've been very successful with it before, losing over 100 lbs. But the strangest thing happens while on it. I crave fruit. Oddly, though, I rarely eat fruit otherwise. I was doing low-carb for about two weeks then just stopped. Then I bagan reading about the Low Glycemic Index diet. It sounded really interesting. I bought a couple books, looked at the benefits, and have been doing low GI since February 22. I've gone from 312.4 to 294.4 This is a really great alternative to the conventional diets. I don't even call it a diet, because I eat just about anything anyone else can eat, with modifications. And by looking at my food log, there is so much more stuff on it. I keep my fat to 20-30% of my calories and go from there.
My biggest problem is that I haven't started exercising. I will walk the dogs about 20 or so minutes, but I really need to step it up.

Well, just thought I'd check back in.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
I went back later and bought a pair of 14's, just so I would have a new pair of "skinny" jeans that don't fit, something to egg me on a little. I picked them up at Goodwill, got them home and noticed that they are LL Bean! How funny is that?
Sorry to hear about your seeds, the weird part is that it's snowing here too! It was all melted, sun was shining, 50+ degrees for days on end, then BAM snow storm - and it's sticking!!! Happy first day of Spring... I'm jealous of your spare bedroom converted into a greenhouse. Firstly we don't have a spare bedroom of any sort and if we did my garden starts would be the last cause to get dibbs on it. I get a small stretch of the kitchen counter and even that is a battle.
Yes our garden is huge, like 2 acres or some such. We grow it out at my parents farm, because our lot is way too small for all that. The flip side is that my parents pick whatever they want, so does my brother and his family. So the garden feeds 3-4 families and whatever charity cases my mother decides to feed. With the economy where it was last summer I want to say mom gave away maybe 80-100 bags of food and I gave away 30-40. Gardens are good.
OMG 2 acres!?! I can't even imagine....it would be heaven to me. You must get a fantastic workout. Just planting & weeding would tone so many muscles & harvesting must be killer. The kitchen counter? Girl, you need a real greenhouse for that many plants. That's so cool that you're providing food for so many ppl , especially with this economy-what a blessing your family is. I bet your family also cans & freezes a ton of food each year.

I'm converting my flower beds in the front yard into tomato gardens for canning this year. The back yard has a wicked prevailing dry & hot wind from the desert and most veggies don't do well back there unless you use a sunshade & wind screen & use lots of water daily, but onions, peppers & tomatilloes do fine. The bedroom 'greenhouse' has been fun (yes, I'm lucky-no kids at home & 2 spare bedrooms). I'm hardening off the first batch of Roma tomatoes that will go against the front of the house, which should survive freezes. We can get hard freezes up to the end of April, but you never can tell what the weather is going to do. Some years the last hard freeze is in March. When does your growing season start up there? Do you have a short growing season? Our weather is so crazy we never really know, some years it doesn't freeze until December and other years it'll freeze in Sept.

I was so glad to read that you bought those jeans! I bet they're a great motivator & LL Bean, too! When is your next goal and reward? I'm 3 pounds away from my first reward, which is a good salon haircut & just found a $30 off coupon for the Aveda Salon. Synchronicity, gotta love it.
HTML Code:
As for looking sexy for the husband, all I have to do is put on a Red Wings jersey and/or a UofM hat, and scream "What do you mean he was off-sides?" at the TV and make the occasional slow roasted pork tenderloin. He would love me no matter what size I am, so long as I don't disparage the Wings or the Wolverines he's a happily married man.
ROTFL He's one of the good guys!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:04 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to all of the new ladies! It's so good that you're doing it - getting in shape, making goals & then making them happen.

Pattialbert: Thanks. I'm determined to make exercise a daily habit. Good luck on staying off the scales until Friday...sometimes that's so hard to do.

Speedyfair: I'm cheering you on for getting out there and dancing & having a wonderful time & staying on track while you were out. Great news. I bet you've broken through that plateau, too.

AutumnHuntress: so sorry to hear about your back. Let's hope it heals quickly so you can get into exercising again soon. That's great that you haven't given up because of your injury.

I ordered a rebounder so I can walk & do cardio without it hurting my knees & lower back. Can't wait for it to arrive.

My husband and I are going to start P90 on May 5th (our anniversary). Does any one here want to join me for mutual support? I'm starting off really slow & easy with modified movements - not pushing it at all but doing it daily. The last time I did P90 I lost 50 pounds. I gained a lot of it back when I fell off the wagon, but you do get results very quickly.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM
FitDay Member

Hi All

I'm so glad to see so many new people joining our group. It's a real motivator to hear what everyone else is doing and feeling the same way that I am. The dancing must have worked, because I am down to 258 this morning and so happy- still on track to be 255 by the 31st. 3 lbs in a week is a little much, but I have been very careful these past few days and am really motivated to hit my mark.

Can really relate to the weather- Fri & Sat was so nice and then Sun & Mon being so cold, I started to crave warm comfort foods. Really looking forward to Spring and grilling out- love fresh veggies from the farmer's market as well- congrats to you ladies that grow your own, that's really fresh.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by speedyfair
Hi All

I'm so glad to see so many new people joining our group. It's a real motivator to hear what everyone else is doing and feeling the same way that I am. The dancing must have worked, because I am down to 258 this morning and so happy- still on track to be 255 by the 31st. 3 lbs in a week is a little much, but I have been very careful these past few days and am really motivated to hit my mark.

Can really relate to the weather- Fri & Sat was so nice and then Sun & Mon being so cold, I started to crave warm comfort foods. Really looking forward to Spring and grilling out- love fresh veggies from the farmer's market as well- congrats to you ladies that grow your own, that's really fresh.
WooHoo Speedy Fair 258!! Congrats on doing great & breaking through the plateau!! Cold weather triggering comfort food cravings isn't something I've heard of before but I know you'll be successful handling them, Speedyfair -- because you've been so string handling the emotional triggers recently. Emotions are a really difficult trigger for me. I recently discovered crushed Hershey's Sugar Free Dark Chocolate mixed with a little air popped popcorn (added to the bowl while its still popping to melt it). It's not mac & cheese, pastry or cookies (my ultimate old go-to comfort foods) but I can stay within my daily calories & it only causes a stall not a gain. I don't know what else to do with the triggers except to identify them and then try to eat something good for me. What do you do? From reading your posts here you've been very successful with keeping busy & staying on track.
Yeah, grilled veggies sound really yummy! I'm going to try to come up with recipes to grill/smoke veggies this year - my first experiment is going to be smoked/grilled eggplant, portabella mushrooms & zucchini using the woody parts of my rosemary bushes for the smoke. I also kept all the wood trimmings from my fruit trees to experiment with, too.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Desertmountain: Yes the 2 acre garden is a great workout, I always get semi-ripped and farmer tanned. But alas I love all that stuff so much that it's also calorie mountain. I actually gain weight in the summer when it's all fresh and rolling into the house by the wagon full. Because not only am I gardening, I'm cooking and canning and peeling and washing by the hour, and eating at will out of the sink and roasting pot. Argh!!! This year will be different! Maybe I'll have to log in advance, if it's not logged, it doesn't go into my mouth. The garden is actually the perfect size, it feeds my family all winter long and everyone else that wants anything out of it, but it's still small enough to manage with a big fat daddy rototiller and a pair of hoes (mom and I joke that we're the pair of hoes).

Our growing season is probably short by your standards, outdoors we go from mid-May to early October (God willing), so 120-150 days tops. And I would LOVE a greenhouse, but it's not going to happen this year. Mom and I talk about it, but usually end up at the nursery to buy some of our starts. The more you describe your weather being crazy the more it sounds like Michigan. We always say about our weather "If you don't like the weather in Michigan, give it a minute". I can't even imagine putting a sunshade over the garden, I'm usually praying for rain overnight and bright hot sun all day long.

Congrats on your coupon, I think it's fate, now you have to lose the 3 pounds if not by the end of the month, then most definitely before the coupon expires. My next reward will be in 7 pounds. That's when I'll have lost 62 pounds and be 1/2 way to my goal weight. I've decided that I will spend $172 on myself. $112 from winning second place in the Biggest Loser couples contest we entered, and an extra $60 just because I rock! Okay yes it was a "couples" thing but since I lost 32 pounds and my husband lost 8, I get to spend the majority on me right? I'm going to buy some jeans, some shorts, a fleece jacket or sweater that fits and maybe a new dress to wear to my cousin Tom's wedding. Possibly something tight and red?

Speedyfair: Congrats on breaking the plateau! See dancing is a fab workout, and even better it never seems like work! So turn up the stereo and shake your booty - off!

Well desertmountain may never have heard of cold weather causing comfort food cravings, but I might have written the book on that one. I'm all about warm comfort food cooking and the impulse hits me really hard in the fall especially after the first hard frost. I've been known to bake Christmas cookies in October. I like the sound of your popcorn with chocolate. I bought some 98% fat free micro popcorn, on sale no less. I can eat the whole bag and it's only about 100 calories. When I need a hit of comfort food I eat a frozen blueberry-yogurt parfait, or a pudding cup or an ounce of cashews. Although stopping at an ounce takes some strategy.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-24-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

You ladies are so awesome! Everyone seems so motivated and has great plans for working outside! I'm hoping my dad puts in a garden this year - so I can help with that....we don't have the room at our place. I would love to do a small herb garden though - so I'm going to start researching that!

I've been doing really good with walking. I've been trying to go for at least 30 mins a day. I know it's not much - but from going from nothing to everyday feels like a huge leap! I'm going to start adding strength training, and increase my walk time. A local hospital has a free program call Minutes in Motion - with the goal to move for at least 30 mins a day for 6 weeks. Everybody at my job has entered. It's not really to compete against each other - just a tool to keep yourself moving.

Well I've rambled on enough - tomorrow night is my weigh in...let's hope for another drop!!

Happy Wednesday!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.