jj: Too true, and I'm so guilty of saying I was, for example, 160 lbs. when I was really 180. I think the concept of the numbers means little to men, who just have a "benchmark number" and no clue about what it really looks like. Good point!
Kathy: I love that attitude! It's up to ME to do the work and them to support, and that's it! No more construction-worker supervising (how many dudes DOES it take to dig a hole, anyway?)
Muna: Too true, and that's why I picked a goal towards the top range of my healthy weight. It felt doable, whereas even 130 I was wincing in my head. 140 just feels right, for all the right reasons, and I want to really give it a shot.
VTC: Thanks for the encouragement. If either of them try to lose weight and have troubles, I'll try not to say "I told you so" too hard
Originally Posted by tracyd2011
congrats on your weight loss....i am almost same height and starting weight as you were....how did you lose it if you dont mind me asking?? just beggining here and need the advice!!
Thanks! And welcome! Having a bit of a bad week this week, but that's how it goes...
I've tried a few things to lose it, but my main goals as of right now are these:
1) Try to achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit every week through eating and exercising
2) Drink as much water as I can stomach (it's usually between 96 and 112 oz. a day)
3) Try to keep up my protein
4) Stagger my calories... that is, one day eat a high-calorie day (between 1400 and 1600) and then for a day or two have low cals (under 1200) -- for some reason doing it this way seems to help my metabolism.
5) Do HIIT training 2-3 times a week -- that stands for high-intensity interval training, meaning I'll push myself really hard on the machine for a minute, and then go slower, and then back up to pushing as hard as I can, etc. I'd suggest looking it up if you're interested though, because I built myself to the point I am now, of one minute on, one minute off for 60 minutes.
However, though, those are MY goals, and your mileage may vary. I've been tweaking for about three months now, and I've only had this set of goals in place for 2-3 weeks as they seem to be working. Everyone needs to figure out what's best for THEM
My goals 3 months ago when starting out were very very different - I'm pretty sure at that point I was just trying to exercise twice a week, and getting myself used to a different diet. Starting slowly, with gradual changes, may help you
Female, 31 years old, 5'4 1/2" tall
Starting weight 1/4/11 = 215.2 lbs.
Weight 10/11/14 = 175.2 (net: -40.0)
Last mini-goal: 180 lbs. REACHED! Reward - new sports bra
Current min-goal: 175 lbs.
Next large goal: 165 lbs. by 12/25/2014
Lowest weight: 156.7 lbs.
150.2 lbs. <--- Official "Healthy BMI" weight
Estimated final goal: 130-140 lbs.
"You don't have to change your life today. You only need to change your day today."