Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread for 4/18/11

Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report Card

1. Eat clean and kept calories 1,350-1,600, 50 push-ups for days I'm over. 1,538 1,892-50 push-ups, 1,565, 2,188, haven't done my push-ups yet
2. Drink 96 oz of water. Y, Y, Y, Y
3. Exercise 6 hours. 60 min, 62 min, 12 min, 60 min (total 3:14)
4. Calorie deficit of 3,500 for the week. -934, -689, -604, -326 (total -2,553)
5. Carbs 45% or lower, Protein 30% or higher. (53c/25p), (51c/24p), (47c/26p), (47c/17p)
6. Log food and report every day even weekends. Y, Y, Y, Y

Non-Fitness Goals:

7. Get DD practicing for State finals (with or without nagging). Y, Y, Y, Y
8. Sign up for Summerfest Race. No, just found out I'll be at a family wedding that day, so it's a complete no go.
9. Call the autobody place and set up appointment. N, N, N, N, I have GOT to do this TODAY!!!
10. Call the eye doctor and read her the riot act. Y
11. Smile more, bitch less and (stealing from Crimpet) 10 push-ups for infractions. 20 push-ups, YES, YES, YES
12. Clean out pantry area in basement. Some, NO, YES, YES
13. Order more parts for elliptical (I'm starting to call that thing "the money pit"). N, N, N, N
14. Housework:
Monday bathrooms, laundry
Tuesday kitchen, stairwell, hall, laundry
Wednesday living room, bedroom, laundry
Thursday dining room, bedroom, laundry
Friday den, master bedroom, laundry
Saturday, closet, porch, laundry
Sunday, basement, cupboard, laundry

Yesterday was NUTS, absolutely NUTS, (top secret EB shopping, basement cleaning, dress rehearsal, soccer games and on top of it all I had 4 extra kids with me, YIKES!!!). Anyway, I was away from home all day and when that happens I almost always go over calories and don't get enough protein. This time I was my own worst enemy because I made peanut butter scotcheroos on Tuesday, and yesterday I caved and ate one. I didn't think they were all that bad, until I did a recipe calculation on them, 360 calories EACH and loaded with sugar and fat. I guess I'll have to look at a way to make them less totally horrible for me. But not today, I'll be off line the rest of the day, we're going to see my cousin. I haven't seen him in like 4-5 years, although I did visit with his wife and children about 2 years ago. Our families were really close when I was growing up, so it will be really great to see him again. Staying on budget today is going to be almost impossible, cuz is staying at grandma's house, she's a retired pastry chef, good for a gain of 2lb/day minimum. OY!!!!

Last edited by almeeker; 04-22-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:59 AM
FitDay Member

I've failed pretty miserably on all of my goals this week except for my calorie limitations... go figure. My weight is staying stable despite the high carbs and lack of fruits and veggies probably because I've been super physically active. Planning a quiet weekend (starting at noon today... ) Don't foresee any eating mishaps or high cal, no choice meals coming over the holiday weekend so I should be ok. (May have to slip in a frozen yogurt or a diet A&W root beer float, though. )

Thursday:

Food and Fitness Goals:

* 1200-1400 calories per day. Y, Not sure- no time to log. I seriously can't remember what I ate. Y
* Multivitamin daily. Y, Y, Y, Y
* Floss Daily. Y, Y, Y, Y
* Joseph's Lavash Wraps instead of bread. Y, N, Y, N, Arby's Jr. roast beef sandwiches were 49 cents and 250 calories!
* Walk as weather permits. No time. Walked ALL day. N, Y
* 3-4 fruits and veggies per day. N, N, N, HUGE FAIL this week!
* No cheese, bread or cereal. N, one granola bar. N, force-fed mass quantities of bread in a car by a crazy old woman. N, No, stupid Arby's. (I'm a sucker for a bargain.)

Personal Goals:

* Figure out an Easter Brunch menu. Kind of. Yes.
* Prom dress fitted and beaded by Friday... no excuses. Fitted, not beaded. No time.
* Clean office closet. No time. No time. No time. No time.
* Do something kind while smiling and bitch less. Y, Y, Y, Y
* "Just say no" rule. If someone asks me to do something that they should handle on their own, just say no... and mean it. No, didn't come up. Spent the entire day doing things for others, but they needed the help. Ditto. Ditto yet again.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Pam, I think Cassie's been out partying for spring break.

Julia, I've been good, thanks. My diet has been bad though.
I was reading through some of the other threads last night and it seems like an awful lot of people, who are normally really good, are having trouble this past week. Busy family schedules, work issues, Easter goodies... lots of ways to cause a slip.

I've been the same. Tired and overworked usually means my nutrition slips, which it has.

I'm giving myself a "semi-pass" until Monday. Keep my calories under control, but eat what I want otherwise. Not really all that hungry lately... I think I'm just tired. End of the year school schedules are killing me.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie: Maybe so - Dad and BF don't talk much, and the convo with BF happened before the convo with Dad. I think he just saw that my mood was off, or perhaps I'd made comments about my weight without realizing it? I don't know, I talk to myself a lot, I'm fairly certain he hears my ramblings more often than I think he does. Thanks for the kind words. Things there are good now. I hope you didn't beat yourself up too badly about the granola bars - they're not TOO bad, when all's said and done (you could have had the pop tarts! Be happy for yourself!)

almeeker: Your Easter sounds amazing for your girls! I'm envious! Great job, and of course you had it all planned!

Mern: Enjoy your gradkids!!

Julia: Oh man, you're taking me back -- I remember my freshman ecology class (which consisted of going out for four hours, hiking, and having the teacher call out whatever plant/wildlife we came across and making us repeat scientific names...) we'd come across spartina almost every day. I will never, ever forget the scientific name of Spartina alternaflora until my dying day. I think I said it out loud like 300 times. Beavers are AWESOME, so are you planning on sticking with freshwater, or going for brackish/marsh? I think they're such interesting and undervalued ecosystems. And...I know what you mean about feeling stupid. I feel stupid at some point almost every day and am fairly certain I snuck my Ph.D. out of the back somewhere by fooling everyone into thinking I was smart. I love meeting the prospectives too, and hearing things from a consideration of how they picked this place to interview, and where their research has taken them, how they picked a research goal/path, etc. You gotta love it!

quinn: We're all beat. I think it's great you feel you can give yourself a little break. I still wrestle with that.

Man...everyone is so so busy and it seems like we're all having a rough week. I'm having a weird week - I'm hitting my goals for the most part but am really starting to feel blah'd out. I think too much time with a lot of mentally tedious/difficult work is making me feel zombie-ish, and my body is just dragging...

Thursday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week M: -924 T: -654 W: -1,752 Th: -734 (Week Total: -4,064)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Roughly 30 minutes weights, 15 minutes non-HIIT cardio (stationary bike) T: Day off W: One hour HIIT cardio (elliptical) Th: Day off
3) Achieve a 30% protein average for the week M: 20% T: 32% W: 29% Th: 31% (Weekly average: 28%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 53% T: 37% W: 43% Th: 44% (Weekly average: 44%)
5) Protein powder after every workout in a smoothie M: No T: N/A W: out of fruit! Had powder + milk (ew) Th: N/A
6) At least 96 oz. water daily M: Yes T: yes W: yes Th: yes
7) Report here each and every day - that includes weekends! M: Yes (following morning) T: yes W: yes (following morning) Th: yes (following morning)

Other Life Stuff:
1) Easter cards out by Wednesday!!!!! M: No T: No W: Crap, I forgot! I'll have to get them out tonight and pray... Th: Yep
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Minimal... T: Yes, but no makeup W: Yes Th: Yes
3) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours M-W: No Th: 1 hour (Week total: 1 hour)
4) Don't worry, be happy! M: Yes T: Yes W: Totally Th: Meh...I wasn't happy, but I wasn't sad either

Weighed myself this morning --- aaaannnd I weigh pretty much exactly what I did Monday (actually up 0.2 lbs.). It's weird. I know I'm not actually gaining weight (in fact I should be down about a pound) so I'm guessing that I'm just retaining water for whatever reason. Chalk it up to eating out a lot this week, probably. I'm in a really weird space. Bodily, I'm tired. Mentally, I'm clear but also tired. I've been cranking out lots and lots and LOTS of writing and I feel this sort of nebulous stress that probably has to do with not producing much physically except words on a screen. And stress does wonky things to metabolism. I'm just going to keep on keeping on. Perhaps I'll try to be more cognizant of having up-and-down calorie days, as that's slipped this week and I've been pretty much between 1200-1300 every day.

I work in a job of ideas, but sometimes I wish I had more physical fruits to my labors than words. I think it's one of the reasons I like embroidery so much! Haha.

Happy Friday!
Old 04-22-2011, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

terri, you reminiscing about your freshman ecology class makes me smile! i love environmental science type stuff bc i'm most interested in looking at things from a broad scale--ecosystem level--and how diff stressors impact numerous things relating to people, land conversion, pollutants, climate change, economy etc... I feel stuck in a niche of the N cycle and not broad enough to really make interesting findings, but hopefully I can broaden myself after the phd. the other part of me wants to be a stay at home mom after my phd and just volunteer w/ fun people doing rewarding work! who knows. When did you get your phd? you are fast!! i'm at the 2.5 yr mark, i hope to do it in 4.5 yrs...
you are very inspirational to me as you seem to be so productive! i'm jealous. i hope to learn how to crank out the writing one day, but right now I am slowly writing my first chapter. figures, results, and methods are done...the rest is scary.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator

cassie & quinn, yeah I've slipped badly. I do have "wiggle" room, when I jump up and down my belly wiggles. Today I'm back up to 174.4#.
Low carb? Sure, yesterday I had ice cream, cookies, cake, jambalaya, etc. etc. I was at an even for the Chamber of Commerce and there was more junk food than you could ever want... oh wait.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
cassie & quinn, yeah I've slipped badly. I do have "wiggle" room, when I jump up and down my belly wiggles. Today I'm back up to 174.4#.
Low carb? Sure, yesterday I had ice cream, cookies, cake, jambalaya, etc. etc. I was at an even for the Chamber of Commerce and there was more junk food than you could ever want... oh wait.
I used to do Chamber events every month.. the food (and booze) were endless! ...but pretty tasty!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blackrhino2
terri, you reminiscing about your freshman ecology class makes me smile! i love environmental science type stuff bc i'm most interested in looking at things from a broad scale--ecosystem level--and how diff stressors impact numerous things relating to people, land conversion, pollutants, climate change, economy etc... I feel stuck in a niche of the N cycle and not broad enough to really make interesting findings, but hopefully I can broaden myself after the phd. the other part of me wants to be a stay at home mom after my phd and just volunteer w/ fun people doing rewarding work! who knows. When did you get your phd? you are fast!! i'm at the 2.5 yr mark, i hope to do it in 4.5 yrs...
you are very inspirational to me as you seem to be so productive! i'm jealous. i hope to learn how to crank out the writing one day, but right now I am slowly writing my first chapter. figures, results, and methods are done...the rest is scary.
I'm a broad-scale sort of person too! In neuroscience this equates to being interested in brain circuits and systems (and not, for instance, genetics and molecules). Don't worry too much about niches etc. for your Ph.D. - you're there to figure out what you're interested in and get some solid methodology/bench work under your belt while you're learning concepts. You're absolutely right that post-doctoral work is the time for broadening yourself.

I hear you on "stay-at-home-mom." The Ph.D. is a funny thing. Sometimes I think life in academics - especially hard-nosed grant-driven research, is not for me. It's a stressful lifestyle that seems to delay a lot of "life" - you do your grad school, you do your post-doc, then you slave for 6-7 years to get tenure -- suddenly you're pushing 40 (or more) and are only just then getting a glimpse of job/financial security and respect. Crazy! Much of the time I feel as though I might be happier teaching at a four-year college with less emphasis on research. I LOVE research, but I really, really love teaching too, and I feel it a-calling me...

I got my Ph.D. in May 2010 (almost a year, criminetly...) and I started in August 2005, so that puts me in at just under the 5 year mark. And oh, you will learn to crank out the writing, never fear. You're smart to start now -- what my advisor did was had me start writing papers in year 2/3 and get them out there - my first publication was in late 2008, with another following in early 2010, right before I graduated. I'm working on my third from my final dissertation project now. Then, when I went to actually write the dissertation beast, I already had chapters 1 and 2 done, with only minor tweaking needed. That was half of the body! Chapters 3 and 4 were well-outlined and I got a lot of help, and my advisor left the General Intro/Discussion up to me.

I got the General Intro done about a month before my defense, and then completely staggered on getting the General Discussion done. Suddenly it was 5 days before the dissertation was due, or something like that, and I just had to write it - I wrote it in a blur of rage and insomnia (and carb-highs!) but I got it done (Hilariously, my advisor said it was the best writing I'd ever done, hahaha! Obviously, I just need to be half-insane, that's the ticket...)

The Intro and Discussion are the scariest parts of any paper, especially when you realize you have to suddenly form an argument and integrate ideas. I always wish I could just say "Okay, so this research is SO COOL, just read it, and you will see it is awesome! It speaks for itself!!" That should totally be the intro of every paper! You'll get it though - have faith in yourself, and don't worry if you think your drafts are crap. EVERYONE thinks their drafts are crap, but getting that first draft down is really important, because revising is easier than idea generation any day. You sound like you love what you do, and that is 90% of the battle!
Old 04-22-2011, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hey everyone~sounds like everyone has had a crazy week, mine also has been crazy at home and work...TGIF though thats for sure. Busy Easter weekend for most of you I see, I hope all goes well...I plan to relax a little and have dinner with my side of the family, my parents go to Arizona 6months a year so this is the only holiday I have with them. Hopefully I will have time to actually write some goals this wknd...been behaving for the most part this week, could really use some "comfort" food about now but will resist until Sunday dinner... Well it's back to work I go, Everyone have a wonderful Easter looking forward to hearing how bad or good you were
Old 04-22-2011, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

hi all,
I'm seriously lacking motivation. I have become very lazy during the last 2 months or so, making this excuse and that one.... DH told me that my body is becoming 'soft' again (( so here I am, returning to you guys.
On the positive side, I hadn't put an ounce on, thank God. It's just that my muscles lost their tone. Maybe I am yo-yo proof
Very glad to be back

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.