Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread for 4/18/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread for 4/18/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread for 4/18/11

Old 04-19-2011, 01:20 AM
FitDay Member

Very busy day ahead, but I just wanted to pop in and say "hi". Busy days for me usually don't mean making bad food choices, but rather not taking the time to eat at all which I have to guard against, too. I have a list of errands the length of my arm, so I better get to it.

Food and Fitness Goals:

* 1200-1400 calories per day. Y
* Multivitamin daily. Y
* Floss Daily. Y
* Joseph's Lavash Wraps instead of bread. Y
* Walk as weather permits. No time.
* 3-4 fruits and veggies per day. N
* No cheese, bread or cereal. N, one granola bar.

Personal Goals:

* Figure out an Easter Brunch menu. Kind of.
* Prom dress fitted and beaded by Friday... no excuses. Fitted, not beaded.
* Clean office closet. No time.
* Do something kind while smiling and bitch less. Y
* "Just say no" rule. If someone asks me to do something that they should handle on their own, just say no... and mean it. No, didn't come up.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Super Moderator

Nice job, Mern! What do you do with the ricotta, just mix cinnamon in and eat with a spoon? I have a ton of FF ricotta in the fridge; it was buy-one-get-one free this week.

Mike, what a pain...does your company think they own you? I hope things work out okay. If not the gym, I'm sure you'll make it happen somehow.

almeeker, I've not tried Laughing Cow. I've picked them up a hundred times and then put them back for some reason. My son snacks on the Babybels, though. For cheese I usually use the Cabot RF, but I hear LC is really good, so I'll make a point to try it next time it's on sale.

Well, I made my morning difficult. My son asked for minimal candy this year, just a bag of Jelly Bellys and his favorite, Robin's Eggs. So I got to thinking, maybe I could find a recipe for malted milk eggs...well, that was a mistake, because I've spent the past 30 minutes reading about everything yummy that you can put them IN, like cookies, brownies, cupcakes...and I have a serious chocolate jones now. I'm planning to hit cardio tennis class at 10 and hopefully it will be out of my system by the time I get back.

Have a great day, everyone
Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 AM
FitDay Member

Mern,

I love Richard Simmons. When I was going through my old cookbooks over the weekend, I found a cookbook he had written in the early 80's called the "Never Say Diet Cookbook". I'm really looking forward to going through it. When he's not being an entertainer, what he has to say is usually pretty spot on. Nothing candy coated; just brutally honest. He reminds me of Mike's "Hey, Fatty" thread. I like that.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

Fat free ricotta makes incredible gnocchi with your favorite marinara sauce! Very quick and easy although it uses white flour but it's much lower in calories compared to its usual potato-based cousin. They freeze well, too.

I usually skip the sauce and instead use zucchini ribbons and cherry tomatoes.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie, yes they do. I'll just leave it at that since I'm on my work computer. Time for me to get busy. I'll check in later.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:18 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, most often when I eat ricotta I add it to a veggie omelet or use it with Dreamfields low carb pasta (5 "digestible carbs" per serving) and tomato sauce for a lasagna type casserole. Some people use cabbage leaves instead of pasta for a veggie lasagna, but I haven't got a recipe for that--never tried it. But last night I just added cinnamon to ricotta and ate it with a spoon. I'm glad you didn't get the freeze-back this year. Our grass is Easter-new, though. Kudos for fighting temptation and successfully making it through yesterday calorie deficit! Mmm, shrimp and walnut stir-fry sounds delicious. I'll have to try that sometime soon. So have you got an idea where you want to go with DH for a couple days in May? Home made malted milk eggs sound delicious--yeah that's got to be tempting your chocolate sweet tooth hunting up recipes for that! Best wishes on keeping in control.

Aw, Mike, I hope you can think of something else to cut back on instead of having to give up your gym membership, but I know one can get great workouts at home, too. Kudos to you for using good sense, though, and not considering a gym membership a necessity of life. Way better than people who put entertainment and eating out before rent/house and utility payments.

Almeeker, I didn't add to the 24 minutes dancing with my sweet little UPS guy as I said I would but it burned more calories than my usual 30 minutes of aerobic walking. I'm actually looking forward to adding more time today, although yesterday was such a push that I may be able to add just another minute or two rather than another whole song. The time passes so much more quickly than with my aerobic walking and I get an even better workout. P90X!!!! I think I'd rather LIVE a little longer. LOL

Quinn, I forgot about the zucchini lasagna. Sounds great with tomatoes, too! Thanks for the idea! I guess just about everyone knows Richard Simmons was an obese child and teenager. He has such empathy for the obese, but doesn't allow excuses for us to stay that way. I used to find his perkiness so annoying, but now I find it encouraging.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Mern: I hadn't thought of myself as an inspiration at all - I'm flattered that you think so! thanks! And baby steps is definitely the way to go. Sometimes I need to remind myself of all the baby steps I've forgotten that I've even done in the past few months! It's sort of amazing when you think about it Your Monday looks great! Nice job!

almeeker: If anything, I've found that this economy has made everyone way more scared of losing their jobs - and that means NOT sticking their neck out for their customers. Sad. Sometimes I'm grateful to be insulated by acadamia (though that has its headaches too) but good for you for speaking your mind. More people should do it - too many people let themselves be walked all over for fear of rocking the boat.

Mike: Sorry to hear about losing the gym and that your job is completely unreasonable in terms of dictating your life I hope you figure something out; don't be too discouraged! Remember to look for the open window when all the doors are getting slammed in your face - you've got a good head on your shoulders about the whole thing, you'll figure it out.

quinn: I'm so like you in that busy = I forget to eat and drink. Make yourself stop and think about it if you have to! Good luck on getting that list done!

Monday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week M: -924 (Week Total: -924)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Roughly 30 minutes weights, 15 minutes non-HIIT cardio (stationary bike)
3) Achieve a 30% protein average for the week M: 20% (Weekly average: 20%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 53% (Weekly average: 53%)
5) Protein powder after every workout in a smoothie M: No
6) At least 96 oz. water daily M: Yes
7) Report here each and every day - that includes weekends! M: Yes (following morning)

Other Life Stuff:

1) Easter cards out by Wednesday!!!!! M: No
2) Make an effort on my appearance every day M: Minimal...
3) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours M: No
4) Don't worry, be happy! M: Yes

Not the world's best start to the week in terms of goals - I was smacked pretty hard by the carb monster yesterday afternoon and I caved into it during lunch and when I got home from work. For accountability's sake, I consumed an order of Arby's value fries during lunch (lab mate bought them for me), and when I got home I had 1/2 of a large slice of 2-day-old cheese pizza, a couple handfuls of tortilla chips, and a bagel with peanut butter on top. I did manage to get to the gym, but I had a truncated workout because I got there late in the day and I had to cook dinner.

My deficit looks decently good, and even though my cals-in was about 1,450 yesterday (not bad) they were not good calories for the most part. I feel a little bloated today. I'm sure it was a high-sodium day. Regardless, though, I still feel pretty good and I'm in a mental state where I'm feeling like I can shrug off the bad day. I'm telling myself that I got a lot of scut work done yesterday (I did) and today I can relax a little and pay more attention to what's going into my mouth. I've got some grilled chicken (leftover from dinner) and broccoli for lunch, I'm going to drink a ton of water, and move on!

~Terri
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Good Morning everyone...gosh darnit it is snowing Oh well it is part of living in this wonderful state...Did good yesterday with food and exercise, hopefully can keep it up today even with the depressing weather. Got on scale was happy to see 176 Liked seeing the ideas for ricotta although now I am starving!!! The Veggie lasagna sounds wonderful, would have never thought to use cabbage, maybe will try to get creative this wknd. Hope the day goes well for everyone, will do a check in later if work permits, been kind of crazy lately.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by quinnesec
Cassie,

Fat free ricotta makes incredible gnocchi with your favorite marinara sauce! Very quick and easy although it uses white flour but it's much lower in calories compared to its usual potato-based cousin. They freeze well, too.

I usually skip the sauce and instead use zucchini ribbons and cherry tomatoes.
Thanks for this idea, Quinn! Last time I bought it, I did ravioli with wonton wrappers (and some of it ended up in a cake ), but I love gnocci and I just found a great recipe for gnocci in marinara with spinach. It calls for frozen gnocci but I'm sure I can hunt a recipe down.

Mern, we're thinking of Savannah or Charleston...a little history trip. But I need to get going or we won't go anywhere! If you are interested in the stir-fry recipe, here's the link: Stir-Fry Walnut Shrimp - Healthy Recipe Finder | Prevention. The only drawback is the lack of veggies, but we had a lot of cooked veggies leftover from the weekend and just ate those on the side.

Terri & Quinn, I agree; busy is good; forgetting to eat is not. For me, it means I grab the first thing (or several things) I see when I get to the point of no return. It took a while to learn what was "hungry" and what was "too hungry." Of course, everything is a learning process with this!! The "carb monster" visited me yesterday afternoon, too. Let's hope it heads to Alaska today; I don't think we have anyone up there.

Kim, great job; hope you see spring soon!

Mike, hang in there. We'll catch you later.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 04-19-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:32 AM
FitDay Member

Kim, kudos on losing 3 more pounds since April 9! You're rocking it, girl! You, too, are insprational!

Cassie, thanks so much for the link for the shrimp stir-fry with walnuts! I'll definitely try that soon. No problem for me to get more veggies into a recipe--I love veggies, especially low carb ones like broccoli, mushrooms, bean sprouts, snap peas that often go into stir-fries. Ooh, I'd love to visit Savannah or Charleston and see some great architecture, plantations, and museums. I love history trips. DH and I are planning on visiting the historic district of Philadelphia this fall.

Terri, aw, don't be embarrassed at being considered inspirational. I don't memorize them, but try to take notice of our members' daily progress reports. I do look at people's signatures, too. So when an individual's reports look good most days plus they show reaching goal, good maintenance, or a good weight loss in their signature, I find that very encouraging and inspirational. That's why I encouraged you to change that signature--I was inspired, but wanted newbies to see how well you are doing, too. I came here for motivation and that's exactly what I'm getting. Thanks for your encouragement. Baby steps take courage and perseverence. Everyone who needs to take them should be proud of themselves for what they CAN do, even if they have to start out small. Good for you for shrugging off a carby day yesterday and getting back on track. Your lunch sounds great. I washed away a whole pound of water weight gain from bacon, cheese and olives and something else salty (forgot what) over the weekend by drinking tons of water Sunday night and Monday. It does work, so I know you will do it, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.