Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 4/4/11

Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 AM
FitDay Member

Hey all,

I too got stuck in braces luckily it was from grade 6-8 so by high school I was free but the teasing was bad enough back then. Like Quinn mine was by those crazy psychos... baseball to my jaw when I was up to bat and then "friendly football" got sacked by a player on my own team. I'm so glad (now) that I got them as my fiance's teeth are pretty rough. Hes now thinking about the invisable retainer braces.

Julia- Have a great time at the bachelorette! Your mercedes comment just made my day! When is your big day?

Goals:
1) Get the balance back carbs/protein/fat: M-starting to T: Yes W: so far T:a little high on the carbs but they were all from veggies so I'll take it
2) Get some new shake recipes: M-N T-N W-probably wont have time T: one but still want to find protien supplements
3) Get in at least 4 days of exercise: M-N T: Y (run, weights and house cleaning I was on a role!)W:N T: Yes F:Y

Others:
1) Do something just for me- spa day? Booked for next Tues
2) Get back to a normal schedule at work: Looks like it will stick to 6 days a week but down to 8 hours instead of 10
3) Get in a little quality time with my guy M- Yes! T-N W-N T-Yes nice dinner F- yes he's going to come to the barn with me
Old 04-08-2011, 01:17 AM
FitDay Member

I'm laughing at all of the stories about braces. (I can laugh now that he's 27 and the bills are paid...) The psycho kid ended up in juvi, had a girl pregnant and then landed in jail for domestic violence by the time he was 19. I still see his father and the father still apologizes to me to this day. Anyhoo...

Last day of my "vacation" and the results are pretty sad. The scale was not my friend today after eating out all week, but that's ok. I know what to do. I've accomplished a lot and the weather is gorgeous... so it's all good.

Thursday:

* Forget the pie chart for one week and keep calories to a "clean" 1400 or less. (This worked really well for me last week.) yes, yes, yes, no
* Hike (heavy pack) twice this week, weather permitting. (Remember cleated hikers- it's mucky since the last storm.) Nope. 40 mph winds and sleet yesterday. No. No, spring cleaning. Hopefully Saturday.
* Spring's here... resume daily neighborhood walks. (Hmmm....I need to borrow a dog... ) Got a quick one in. No. No, cleaning. Short one.
* 100 oz. of water daily, minimum. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

* Finish bead work on Prom dress. No. (I really hate sewing!) No. No. (Did I mention I hate sewing?) I'd rather clean bathrooms...lol. No.
* Spring clean all bathrooms. No. No. YES!!!
* Spring clean 3 vehicles. One done. One step forward, ten steps back on this one. Two done; one to go. Still one to go.
* Smile more... bitch less. Without kids, I have nothing to bitch about. Tuesday, I found something to bitch about. Wednesday, I realized that I have to let go of things that I have absolutely no control over and just "roll with it". Some things (like the car) are out of my hands. Yes, although I smiled at a guy and he gave me one of those "creeper" looks in return...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie,

"I don't know, but for some reason it's easier for me to take when things go wrong because I screwed up, as opposed to someone else messing it up (like, oh, say, having your car dinged by a hit and run driver?) or one of those things that "can't be helped." I guess I just hate feeling powerless."

YES!!! I tried to explain this very thing to my husband and he looked at me like I was from Mars. He said it didn't matter. I'm glad you get it because I thought I was crazy. We got into a little disagreement about this very thing last night.

It all worked out... I jokingly called him "Anthony Bourdain" (because I think he looks like him) and he got mad and left the room. lol
Old 04-08-2011, 02:08 AM
FitDay Member

Fibro diet:
Avoid
1) sugar: Y, Y, Y, Y except for a tiny bit in store bought chicken
2) gluten and yeast: Y, Y, Y, Y
3) nightshades: Y,Y, Y, Y except for jalapeno pepper in store bought guacamole
4) additives:Y, Y, Y, Y (which is why I chose the "natural" chicken with a bit of sugar vs. the "bad" chicken with additives -only had a little)
5) aspartame:Y, Y, Y, Y
6) dairy:Y, Y, Y, Y
7) caffeine including chocolate:Y, Y, Y, Y

8) stretch at least 3x this week: stretched and did floor exercise 2x (abs hurt from situps), N, Y, gym whoo hoo
9) more H2O: 128 (how's that?!?), 48, 56, 56
10) take magnesium supplements: yup and already they helped, Y, Y, Y
11) smile more/bitch less, starting W: I"m trying, yes big smile

Mike: That was bitching? Try living with a teenage girl (please don't.) Now that's some world class bitching right there. Plus you did an incredible good deed. You can't be that BIG a bastard (or as we used to say in Brooklyn bastid.)

Crimpet: what a horrifying story. My heart went out to you as I was reading it.

BTW the headache I think turned out to be sinus stuff. Today I am stuffed up; probably pollen playing its nasty tricks.

Last edited by canary52; 04-08-2011 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

rhoda: Late to the baby train, but CONGRATULATIONS AUNTIE!

Hope: You look like you're doing REALLY well on your fibro diet, way to go! And thanks for the support Had a much better day yesterday.

Mike: I've always thought that men bitch just as much as women in life -- they just bitch in their heads or with their actions I think it's great that you're so comfortable as to do it here. And...you have every right to do so! Don't worry about it! I agree with quinn that you're probably just worn out and having a little backlash. Happens to us all! I think your wonderful act of kindness just shows you're not so much of a Grump as you think you are!

Mern: Your bastard comment made me spit out my water! LOL! Nice one!

Cassie: I hope you are feeling better!! So sorry about the financial woes, and your son's teeth! If it might make him feel any better, I had to wear braces for four years of my life (My mouth was a disaster area that has to do with a crooked jaw/crooked roots - and after four years, still not perfect, I need braces again as an adult). I wore them right up until I was almost 17, and I survived high school intact. But still - ugh, I can't even imagine the cost.

jj: You sound like me with the laundry. Why do we HAVE so many clothes?! Donations this weekend are necessary. Some of my FAT clothes are going SAYONARA!

Crimpet: What a horrible story. High school is a misery that sometimes we forget as we get older -- and girls are terrible Mean Girls sometimes I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Also -- throwing my two cents in. Put me aboard the "I hate feeling powerless" train. I am a certified control freak, and when things happen out of my control (or there's nothing I can do to help a situation) I am ten times more stressed than if I do something wrong, or can at least help correct a problem.

Thursday Report Card

Food, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Achieve a 7,000 calorie deficit by the end of the week (through a combination of eating and exercising) M: -771 T: -647 W: -1,136 Th: -469 (week total = -3023)
2) Do not take off two days in a row from exercising. M: Day off T: Unfortunately, I did not exercise W: 15 minutes cardio, 45 weights! Th: Day off
3) Achieve a 35% protein average for the week M: 21% T: 20% W: 29% Th: 20% (weekly average 22.5%)
4) Carbs at or below 50% average for the week M: 50% T: 46% W: 48% Th: 45% (weekly average 47.5%)
5) Protein powder after every workout - in a smoothie! M: N/A T: N/A W: Yes! Th: N/A
6) At least 96 oz. water daily M: yes T: yes W: yes Th: No!

Other Life Stuff:
1) Laundry, laundry, laundry -- put away, ironed, spring cleaning and donation of clothes I simply no longer want to wear! M: Put away two whole baskets! T: Nada W: Ironing got done! Th: Nope
2) Buy new makeup and a flatiron for the disaster of hair on my head M-F: No, weekend
3) Buy small Easter presents to send to family M-Th: No
4) Balance savings/expenditures (this is a weekend goal, won't be updating until then!) M-F: N/A
5) Work on my embroidery for at least five hours this week M-Th: No
6) Don't worry, be happy! M: Was in a great mood yesterday! T: Utter failure W: I did better, but still had a bad day Th: Yes, much better day!

Yesterday was definitely an "up" day in terms of calories, but as usual, the switching around seems to be helping, as I dropped .8 lbs. since Wednesday even after a pretty "bad" day yesterday (there was a milkshake involved, though I only drank 8 fl. oz. of it). However, I have been to work now for 11 straight days, most of them at least 10 hours, and chocolate was necessary!!!!!

I get a day off tomorrow and I am so happy that I could cry. I need it.

I am also going to "low"-cal it today (aiming for under 1200!) and get in good workouts over the weekend, as I'm not quite where I want to be on my deficit - I was hoping to be at 3500 by yesterday, though I think 500 calories is overcome-able. Also, I need to get that protein up, yeesh!!!

I'm very close to 25 lbs. off, only about 2 more to go! Once I do, I'm going to take Michael's advice from another thread I saw a long time ago. He spoke about lifting a 25 lb. bag of kitty litter after losing 25 lbs. and remembering that once, that weight had been on his body, hefted around. I think I will LOVE to do that exercise when I hit the same goal - and hopefully don't get too many strange looks from the people in the store as I'm grinning holding that thing and walking up and down the aisle!

~Terri
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 AM
FitDay Member

Thursday Report

Calorie limit 1600 1178, 1771, 1516, 1547
Calorie deficit (includes exercise) goal 1037 1469, 876, 1131, 1100
Carbs less fiber limit 25g 24g, 26.7g, 18.2g, 23.6g
Protein target 120g 111.6g 138.3g, 146.7g, 149.4g
Limit sugar free candy to 2 pieces per day 0, 2, 3, 2
Limit additional artificial sweetener to 2 packets per day 2, 2, 0, 0
Limit diet soda to one every other day 0, 0, 0, 0

Water 64 oz. per day Yes Yes YES YES

Exercise 1/2 hour 6 days Yes Yes YES YES
Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, LOL on accidentally spitting out water over my comment to our resident "bastid." Congrats on the .8 lb loss since Wednesday! So glad you finally get a day off after all those long hours! Oh, I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching people look at you as if you are nuts--grinning from ear to ear while lifting a 25 lb. bag of kitty litter.

Canary, you are doing great this week on your fibro diet goals! It's tree pollen that is keeping my sinus stuffiness and headaches going. Wishing you clearer air and relief from all your pain soon.

Quinn, I got a good laugh out of your receiving the "creeper look" from the guy you smiled at. There's a lady who walks at the park in the opposite direction from me, so I pass her at least twice. I smile and say hello to everyone in the oncoming pedestrian traffic and this one lady always frowns and looks at the ground when she sees me coming and doesn't reply. So each time I pass her now I smile bigger and say hello louder--and then I chuckle to myself that she's such a twit.

Julia, great job on the cals despite the cookies! Way to go! Have a great time in NYC this weekend!

Cassie, I hope things start looking up for you soon!

Sorry I don't have time to read and reply to more today. Congrats to all doing well and big hugs to those who aren't.

Last edited by Mern; 04-08-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:38 AM
FitDay Member

i think i'm the opposite with the control thing...there are so many times that things don't work for my research projects and they are due to inclimate weather, instrumental probs or someone not showing up on time when I need help. when samples get ruined for reasons like this I kind of just have to go with it, even though it sometimes makes me angry.

personally, i always try my best to make things to work as planned and to try and prepare for what could go wrong, but sometimes things still go wrong. then i just chalk it up to a "learning experience" and tell myself i've gained something from it and try to prevent it from happening again (if that's even possible).

I like giving up some of that control and when things go wrong. i know it wasn't my fault and that there wasn't that much that i could have done to prevent it. obvi this isn't quite applicable to dentist bills and car repairs as I know I'd be pissssed about paying extra money that I hadn't planned on spending.

i went up to the 2nd floor to hunt down more cookies, but they were all out. THANK GOODNESS! they were yummy and bad for me.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:41 AM
FitDay Member

ACameron--I think I'm getting married next April! We haven't set a date yet or signed any contracts with venues...so I guess it's still up in the air.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 AM
FitDay Member

Terri: So glad things are looking up for you. You are so supportive. You deserve a break, girl!!

Mern: Tree pollen for me too. Killer blue spruce lurking (or should I say towering) near house have it in for me. It's like they are "hit trees" with a contract out on me. They drop a yellow pollen (so pretty!) Poison.

And yes I am sticking to my fibro diet and my magnesium and I am feeling so much better, it's ridiculous. I am so grateful! And grateful for the support of you guys!!!

Does my can do attitude count for bitch less, smile more?

And now, Cassie, it is time for things to get better with you I hope. We are with you, honey, as you are for all of us.

Last edited by canary52; 04-08-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.