Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/28/2011

Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Jennybeeb
Bubbs - What balance ball routine do you do? Any specific video or anything? I have a balance ball, but haven't really used it in a while. It'd be nice to maybe work that in somewhere sometime!
I got a ball years ago at Costco that came with a video. The trainer is Susanne Deason. The video is made by Living Arts (now GIAIM). I have since found and bought other balance ball, pilates and yoga DVD's by the same company (at Indigo or Chapters). I have also found the company when I google and they have a massive on-line store.

I currently am using a Balance Ball for Weight loss Video by GIAIM. There are 2 30 minute sections and a 10 minute warm-up. You can customize the video to play the sections in any order or repeat a few sections if you prefer.

I need to mix it up so a change the DVD selection every now and then.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MollySue2
Almeeker, the last time I took a first aide class was eleven years ago when I acquired my driver's licence. Having now experienced the helplessness of seeing someone suffer without being a hundred per cent sure how to put him at least in a stable position has definitely made me realize that I want to retake the class. For me, this has been a first and it really unsettled me. So cudos to your mom for stopping at accidents! When I frantically waved at cars last Sunday, three passed me by and I actually had to run onto the street to make a forth car stop...
Well I'm glad you're thinking about taking a class. It seems like that medical stuff is always changing a little, and when you don't use it everyday the refresher course is really helpful. Over the years mom has often been in charge of getting everyone certified at work, and believe it or not most of the time the classes are paid for by the hospital and free to the public. So she makes all of us take them, including dad. Years ago my dad actually revived a woman who collapsed in full cardiac arrest, between a pair of cars parked on the side of the road. If he hadn't known CPR and seen her fall, she probably would have died right there.

When I was a kid nobody had cell phones, and we stopped at accidents all the time, mom is a nurse 24/7 it's not what she does, it's who she is (if that makes sense). But now with a cell phone in every pocket, EMS is on the scene almost instantly. Even still I'm willing to bet you never hit that trail again without a cell phone and a mini First Aide kit. And maybe a flare so you don't have to jump in front of any moving cars?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, yup! No more non-cellphone time!
It's great that First Aide courses are free in the US; you have to pay for them over here. I'll still take one, but I think it can stop people from doing them.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 AM
FitDay Member

What I had hoped would be a somewhat quiet "catch-up week" has turned out to be anything but! Piles of applications, paperwork, deadlines and 3 miscellaneous out of town trips are all hitting at once. But, I'm going to keep focused and not let stress and late nights get the best of me. I have to promise myself to make time to cook healthy, evening meals and stay clear of restaurants and drive-throughs.

My "Back To Basics" List:

* Forget the pie chart for one week and keep calories to a "clean" 1400 or less. Way under... no time to eat much yesterday. Yes.
* Hike (heavy pack) twice this week. Probably Wednesday.
* Spring's here... resume daily neighborhood walks. Again, sadly, no time. Again, no time.
* 100 oz. of water daily, minimum. Yes. Yes.
* Stop buying jelly beans already!!! Geesh! So far, so good. Yes.
* Clean two more closets. Probably Wednesday.
* Keep on top of applications and deadlines. 4.5 hours of paperwork yesterday... ugh. 5 hours Tuesday.
* Smile more... bitch less. (Does "nagging" your children count as bitching?) I admit, I was a little "snarky" yesterday.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

This weeks Progress

1) Keep calories between 1200-1500-try to bring my deficit from 850 average a day to 1000 a day through calories and exercise
M-1453 T-1367 W-1467 so far Deficits are still around 6-700 so far

2) Drink 2 liters of water a day M-NO 1.5ltr T-No .5ltr W-Yes!
3) Exercise 30 minutes minimum/5 days-Walk 30 minutes minimum/5 days- introduce Jump roping 5 minutes/3 days
Monday No,Yes,Yes(10 min jumprope); T-Yes,Yes,No; W-Yes,Yes,Yes(10 minutes Jump Rope

4) Get Off the Breads! I'm suppose to be gluten free M-No, T-No, W-No

5) Measure myself to start recording monthly M-Yes!

Non-Fitness Goals:

1) Finish the Lace Project and start the new one for my class Still working on it
2) Organize Closet Nope,will hit that later this week
3) Finish Laundry Not Yet, will work on it Friday
4) Treat myself to one night of REAL pampering (Havn't done it in years)Not Yet, but will this weekend.
5) Work on my husbands anniversary gift for this coming month Will this weekend

Last edited by Crimpet; 03-30-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

almeeker: You remind me that we need Epsom salts in the house. I'm going grocery shopping tonight, I can swing by the drug store and pick some up! Thanks!

Mern: Thanks for the encouragement! I guess it's about 6 lbs. in three weeks, which is great. I've been aiming for between 1.5-2 lbs. a week on average, so I'm right where I want to be. I'm just glad this month isn't like last month, where I was stuck on a plateau for 3/4 of it, haha!

Lindsey: They always take forever, don't they? I hope they get back to you with something constructive soon! And...I can't even really imagine dancing in chaps. Sheesh.

Cassie: I'm laughing so hard about your son braving it better than your husband. I think men revert to a childlike state when sick, whereas children can sometimes want to show they're big and tough! When my BF gets a man-cold it's quite pathetic -- whimpering and moaning for the remote control, or some more juice, or another blanket. I'm like "Is your leg broken?!" When I get a cold I take some medicine and get on with my life and just try to rest when I can. But no. He's out sick for two days and groaning like the world is going to end. Take some Thera-Flu, yeesh!

Julia: I hope your data-mode produced some good statistical results

behaze: OMG YOUR POOR FOOT. I would have DIED. You're a trooper, and I'm glad you got to a proper doctor. Embroidery needles are not allowed to be banned as I am crafty and need them, but he has been sitting across the room when I do my sewing or fiddle around with my supplies

Jenny: Week is going to be stressful, but I hope it's good stress! Thanks.

quinn: Good luck with all that paperwork! Yikes! Things always seem to come together, don't they?

Tuesday Report Card:

Fitness, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Under 1400 calories, track everything M: yes, 1,355 T: yes, 1,448
2) Average 30% protein for the week M: 17% T: 29% (weekly average: 23%)
3) 96 oz. water daily M: yes T: yes, 104
4) 5 hours of exercise, split between weights and hard cardio M: day off T: 15 minutes cardio, 45 minutes lifting.
5) Use heart rate monitor each workout this week M: N/A T: Totally! I had a little trouble getting the chest strap to sit correctly (bra was in the way) but I got it to work in the end. Apparently I burn more calories than I thought I had during my lifting!
6) Use new protein powder in a shake after each workout: M: N/A T: No, because we are out of milk and fruit, and I didn't want to drink it straight with water.

Non-Fitness Goals:
1) One hour of needlework every night M: not quite an hour, but close T: No
2) Rework 2 original chapters for book by Wednesday M: DONE! Go me! T-Sun: N/A
3) Focus on extra work coming, do whatever hours are necessary this week/weekend M: N/A T: N/A
4) Buy a couple of small plants for the apartment, the place needs some green! M: No T: No

It's a lovely gloomy week of rain here in FL. My walk to and from the gym last night got me soaked, but it kinda felt nice, actually! Also, the HRM was a total revelation. According to it, my weight lifting is described by fitday as more "vigorous" than "general" (which I had been logging it as until yesterday)... I didn't feel 'vigorous' but I do lift until I'm shaking and grunting, I guess that counts!

Also, ladies, is there any way to deal with that silly chest strap? I ended shoving it under the bottom of my bra yesterday (sorry if that's TMI, haha) and my bra was sitting a little funny, but at least I got a constant reading! This was supposed to be a "designed for women" strap but apparently they forgot about bras (or, maybe I'm just odd. I have a large chest, and don't wear a normal sports bra) It's possible I just need to wear a different bra to work out in, or find something that works, but if there's some secret I don't know, lay it on me!

~Terri
Old 03-30-2011, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Terri, I hear you loud and clear as far as the chest strap is concerned! I can assure you, though, that it has nothing to do with chest size . I do the same - I put the strap underneath my bra. Not the best feeling, I know, but haven't discovered any better way (or better bra) to make the HRM work.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 AM
FitDay Member

Ugh...day 3 and still no reply from the team. I'm sorry to say that yesterday, a bit of depression and anger over the whole thing kind of sent me over the edge. Even though there is barely any junk food in our house anymore, I managed to scrounge up and demolish a stale mincemeat tart (the last one leftover from Christmas) and two small pieces of stale fudge. And, as if that wasn't enough, we had pizza (albeit, homemade) for supper, and THEN I decided I MUST make cookies...for some completely unknown reason. 3 handfuls of peanut butter chipits later, I felt totally guilty, and didn't even eat the cookies once they came out of the oven. I've packed them all up and brought them to work with me today in the hopes that the rest of my department will help me get rid of them!

Tuesday report card:

1) Keep calories under 1400 M 1,176 T 1,457

2) Exercise 30 minutes minimum/5 days M yes T yes

4) Keep carbs down - 170 g/day or 130%, according to my fitday meter
M: close, 178.6 g T: 197.8 g...ugh!

5) Start bi-weekly (Weds/Sun) weigh-ins on Wii-Fit: it's more accurate than my bathroom scale. Sun: yes Mon: no Tues: no

Non-Fitness Goals:

1) Clean kitchen M: uh...does dishes in the dishwasher count?! T: made a mess making pizza and cookies, and never really finished cleaning it up...oops.
2) Put away clean laundry, and tidy closet and master bathroom
M: definitely no. My response at 11pm to a bed covered in clean laundry? "ugh. I'm not dealing with this now! Tomorrow."
T: definitely no.

3) Prep guest bedroom and bathroom for visitors on Friday
M: guest sheets washed...and then the stinky dog decided they made a good blanket and laid on them all night...so net progress = 0
T: spent the night watching DWTS and Biggest Loser and wallowing in self-pity. Fortunately, the Biggest Loser contestants inspire me, so by the end of the show I was feeling ready to try again and do better with my fitness goals tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

julia ~ that sucks about the test. good luck on the re-take. hope you weren't at school to long last night.

Jacqueline ~ i would so much rather workout in the morning too, but i'm having such a problem getting up early to do it too.

behaze ~ hope you enjoyed your un-productive day

jen ~ good job on your loss. you & mike are so right we have to be honest with ourselves.

quinn ~ looks like you are doing pretty good with your goals.

Crimpet ~ i'm supposed to be wheat free sometimes easier said than done.

Terri ~ great job on walking to the gym that's awesome. can't help with the strap as i use hand weights.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 AM
FitDay Member

I haven't dropped off the earth, LOL...my work computer was not letting me on the forums once I was logged in. I could read as a guest but not logged in so I couldn't post.

Goals for this week with reports so far...

Instead of picking a calorie level to stay under....Keep a 1000 calorie deficit M, yes(1273) - T, yes(1751)
Walk daily at lunch 30-45 minutes M, yes(40min) - T, yes(35min)
Some form of exercise at night M, yes(worked out on home gym followed by balance exercise & jumping rope ) - T, yes(20 min walk with dog!)

Non-fitness Goals
Read homework book for foster parenting (Three Little Words) M, no - T, no(fell asleep, lol)
Get laundry folded & put away before weekend M, no - T, no

I haven't had time to read through all of the posts but congrats to everyone who is sticking with their goals...and keep going to those having a tough time, it will come to you if you keep with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.