Notices

Frustrated

Old 02-09-2010, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Question Frustrated

Hi everyone my name is Cynthia and I am new to “FitDay” I currently weigh 357 lbs. Gosh I hate that number. I have been over weight most of my life and one would think after 37 years of struggling with my weight I would have lost it. I just don’t understand, I was married 14yrs and now divorced went back to College and I’m so determined to finish school so why can’t I be as determined to loose the weight. I have lost it before in fact I lost over 100 lbs but get to gain it all back really sucks. So here I am trying a new route thought maybe if I saw what I ate and what actives I do during the day it would help stay on the wagon. One thing I have noticed is I do really well during the day but at night I so want to snack especially on sweets. Cookie monster is always calling my name any tips?
Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM
FitDay Member

I try to keep lots of fresh fruits in the fridge for when I want something sweet, and don't bring chocolate into the house...if I must have chocolate I buy a small candy bar at the store and that's it. This time of year it's harder, not a lot of fruits to choose from. I get the munchies a LOT at night and haven't figured out the best way to handle it yet.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

ohhh munchies i can help with that & the sweet as well. now bare with me what i'm going to suggest might sound odd at first...lol. the eating plan i'm following i don't eat wheat....so i make up for it by eating lots of oatmeal. on of the best ways i've found to have it is quick oats (1/4 cup dry) two egg whites, 1/2 cup water, i also like cutting up some apple into it, add some cinnamon & then cook in micorwave until desired consistancy almost like a bread pudding sort of. i'm also a 'salt' person so i get over wanting to snack at night buy cutting up raw veggies my fav cauliflower soaking in vinegar add some pepper cracked chilis & seems to satisfy that need for something crunchy & salty.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Planning ahead helps

Hi Cynthia,
You need to make sustainable changes that work for you over the long haul. That prior weight loss was a learning experience. You saw what could work and what you didn't sustain afterward, right?

You should enjoy a snack in the evening without feeling guilty about it! That could actually HELP you meet your goals! Just plan for it and understand that the 200-500 calories in your cookies need to be offset somewhere else.

Make it YOUR CHOICE to eat the cookies and enjoy them. Spread the rest of your calories evenly throughout the day and make sure you're exercising.

Knowing that I have to walk 35 minutes on the treadmill to burn off a 200 calorie snack makes a difference in my choices sometimes. (They'd better be darned good tasting calories!) But don't beat yourself up over it. You don't have to deny yourself things you like. Just plan for it and work it into the bigger picture.

If you enjoy something, it can be part of your healthy lifestyle. Ultimately, it will help you make those life-long, sustainable changes.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Here's my secret weapons for the big 3 cravings, although they may not be right for everyone-

Salt- 100 cal. packs of micro popcorn, 94% fat free, in kettle corn or "butter".
Chocolate- 25 cal. hot chocolate mix (great for sweet cravings, too).
Sweet- Diet A&W! You'd never know it's diet and it's sickening sweet.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Default Kimmy shoots and scores! (again)

Yes, you have to plan for snacks, and if you make sure they're healthy and fit into your plan (whatever it is, then snack away). I know I am very vulnerable to night time snacking, since that's when I get back to working on the computer after the dinner-kids-straightening up drill. I usually leave myself 300 calories for after dinner...yes, I know eating at night is considered a no-no, but if I don't plan and have small snacks, I will just get cranky and eat everything, and I'm often up till 1 AM. That is a lot of time to eat bad food, so I just plan for good food instead and...it's important...it works with my lifestyle.

I usually try to look and see if I need carbs, protein, or fat and try to choose snacks based on what category I need to increase (yep, one night it was just sliced turkey).

Just be "mindful." That's my new word for diet and other areas of life. Mindfulness is underrated.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
FitDay Member

The cookie monster calls my name too. I think the trick is to find a different monster. I know I love eating at night, but maybe if the Special K cereal was calling you or a piece of fruit was it wouldn't be so bad.
Today is also my first day on this website, and I feel the same ... like how did I get hear when 2 years ago I weighed 40 lbs. less?? What happened? I know lots of things factor into it, but it still sucks. I think like you I am just looking for some support.. also in college with many determinations... who would think getting a college degree would seem easier than losing weight??
Anyways, I know I shouldn't eat at night at all, but I have been eating things that are healthier like a piece of toast with peanut butter on it... I figure anything is better than the cookies, right?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:04 AM
FitDay Member

Default great idea to save for room for snacks

I too have gained and lost 100's of lbs over the years- this time my goal is to get healthy and make life changing choices- not just sticking to a diet. I need to find a way to incorporate regular food and snacks as part of a healthy lifestyle for the long term. I am aiming at losing over 100 lbs stil, have lost 35 so far, but I save room in my day for small treats. Have a yougurt for lunch if we go out for dinner or such. If I don't feel deprived or feel that I can't have a certain food it easier to make better choices. Also knowing I will have to log everything makes me think before I put something in my mouth. - How is this going to effect not only my calories but my total nutrition for the day? The goal is to do this the rest of my life and it seems this site has helped me get power over my food instead of the food having power over me. It also get easier as you get away from high sugar snacks and salty foods- you do crave them less. Hope this helps- just know you have the power within you.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM
FitDay Member

i understand you completly. you are not alone i acctuly weight 356 and i dropped 5 pounds i have one word that i have been using constantly DISCIPLINE!!!!!!!!. trust me it works i am working out twice a day and girl i am not the one to do that but i have changed im getting the gastric by pass march 3rd and i have to loose another 20 pounds and it is really hard cause i will work out and then i will want to snack on something and thats when the cravings happen