Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011 >

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread: Week Starting 03/21/2011

Old 03-25-2011, 05:48 PM
FitDay Member

Cassie, another thought--the accountability posts are really to help us keep track and in the end, we are really only accountable to ourselves, not to the other members in this group.

If you eat something you can't tally up for breakfast or lunch, just do the best you can for the rest of the day--but eat sensibly so you won't feel deprived or hungry.

And if you ate a certain "untalliable" thing for dinner and you're done eating for the day, as Almeeker said, it's over anyway. Knowing or not knowing the exact numbers isn't going to make any difference.

No need to feed guilty about not doing a numbers accountability post or no accountability post at all. Honesty to ourselves and moderation is all that really matters.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:50 AM
FitDay Member

So I blew my goals yesterday, forgot it was a no refined carb day and the dishes were all in the wash so unthinking grabbed a bowl of cereal. Decided that one slip wasnt the end of the world and stuck to it until I got home to find that my guy ordered pizza instead of cooking. A few exploitives and a discussion about support but I did it! Had half a slice and realized that it really didn't taste that great and just wasn't worth it. So swaped to a salad and a walk while listening to my audio book so I can get my finals done without wasting time Now to survive the weekend hopefully I haven't used all the will power in one day!
Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

acameron, I think you did a great job on willpower under the circumstances. You showed really good control putting down the pizza and going for a salad. You should be proud of yourself. Also, way to go on consolidating your time.

My Friday report:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1416
Carbs less fiber limit 25g, actual 20.4g
Protein goal 120g, actual 150.7
Got in Omega-3
Just one piece sugar free candy and no low carb soft tacos or tortillas

Water goal 64 oz, actual probably only 40 oz.--maybe less

Exercise none--partly due to a sinus headache (just spring allergies) and partly due to laziness.

Last edited by Mern; 03-26-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

Friday Report Card:

Health & Fitness Goals

1. Keep calories to 1,400 M-T-W-T-Sat, 1,650 F-Sun. 1,546, 1,372, 1,392, 1,943, NOOOO 2,315
2. No grain based carbs for the entire week, including corn! Success, Success, Success, Success, Success
3. Exercise 6 hours. 48 min, 48 min, 63 min, 48 min, 78 min (total 4:45)
4. 96 oz water. YES, YES, YES, YES, YES
5. Carbs under 45%. 34%, 43%, 40%, 45%48%
6. Protein over 40%. 44%, 40%, 40%, 20%, 20%

Other Stuff

7. Call SIL and find another race, 5/14/11 is not going to work out. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
8. Clean 2 rooms (15 min each) + 1 load of laundry. NO, YES and caught up for yesterday as well. 2 out of 3, NO, NO
9. Figure out basement shelving layout. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
10. Write library proposal. NO, NO, NO, NO, NO
11. Work on church design 2 hours (or more). NO, NO, NO, NO, NO

Well I'm here to report that I had one of those "binge" episodes last night. Without grains this week, and I could feel it building all day and then just before our normal dinner time, I lost it. Everything I ate was in the realm of "clean" and "grain-free", but it got completely out of hand. I really do think it's in part because of the coffee creamer I had in the morning. This morning after I hit the gym I'll be at the store to pick up a 1/2 gallon of unsweetened almond milk, it's practically an emergency. In addition to grain I think that straight white sugar is also a trigger for me. The sad part is that I had creamer again this morning. I should have made tea instead, but DH already had the coffee brewing and it just smelled like heaven, and I just can't drink it black. On a side note I made chocolate chip pancakes this morning for everyone and then made myself an omelet. Yum. I didn't even take a taste of the pancakes, I wanted to, but resisted. I'm a little over calories for the morning, but today I'm going to the gym, then taking the DD's swimming, then rollerskating. I can be over a little today, cause I'm going to burn it all.

Mike thanks for the tea name and the review. I bought some yesterday at the health food store, and it tasted fine to me as well. I'm a regular at that store and when I put that on the counter the owner sort of chuckled and told me that she and her mother and her grandmother all swear by it. We'll see, all I know is that Miralax is a bit of an ordeal and if there is an easier solution, I'm in.

Mern, I just love it that you find the time to write such thoughtful notes to everyone. I'm sorry that outwardly your family has not decided to follow suit, but I can guarantee that inwardly they are inspired (even if they would never admit it). I will say on that front that when you are really heavy and not in good health, it's very easy to feel like you don't have the energy or the will to do any of the things you should, it's also easy to feel like you are too far gone to reverse it. I have a couple of relatives that are the same. One of my cousins must weigh 500+ pounds, I don't know if he's diabetic, but he's younger than me but you would never guess it. He sweats just standing and when we plan any family gatherings we have to make sure that we have a chair that will hold him.

Quin, I too love the grandmother story. When I first met DH's grandmother we also got along really well. But once she started losing it, I was the target for all her venom (of which there was plenty). It was really hard on me, but I know in my heart that when she was sane she loved me, and I loved her sane or otherwise. She's gone now and I do miss her. DH never had any trouble with my grandmothers, because he met both of them when he came to help on a family project and showed up wearing a tool belt. That and he has impeccable manners.

Cassie, let me know how the pb protein nuggets come out. I was thinking about trying something similar only using an egg and putting them in the oven for a few minutes. I have a GF peanut butter cookie recipe that has pb and egg whites, and you bake them for 10 minutes at a high temp. I'll dig it out, because I bet they could be made higher in protein and might be really good with a little chocolate protein powder. We're going to turn that son of yours into Popeye.

Stacey good job on writing it down. I've never thought of that really, I usually just leave the kitchen and sit in the den and type, but you guys already know that. I do have a pile of little note books, so maybe later today when I get the bingy feeling I'll use that instead of the cheese wedges.

behaze, glad to hear you're still on with the P90X. I've been thinking of trying it, but I'm a little intimidated by it. You're getting me motivated though, maybe today I'll try some pull-ups on the pull-up machine, and I'll turn the assistance part wayyyy down. I don't know I've never been able to do very many, but I'll try it.

Terri, you didn't need to give me credit for "choice", I just told you what I was doing, I think the way you worded it in your post was what was inspiring. I do use it all the time, especially this week with going grain free. I'm starting to worry that when I have grain again, I'm going to go overboard, so I think I'm going to have to ease back into the grain mode with a plan, and to plan my "choices" wisely.

Last edited by almeeker; 03-26-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Cassie: I may seem weird, but I actually have a soft spot for Richard Simmons, especially since I saw him on the TV show "Who's Line Is It Anyway?" (the American version). He has the ability to make fun of himself and just GO for it. I wouldn't want to see him when I was naked, though. Just maybe give him a quick hug. Fully clothed!!!

Stacey: Your journal sounds like a great idea - I may try it. I think I'm getting to that "bored with food" mindset myself. I'm trying not to be, but there it is. I think it's just because I've gotten into a cooking comfort zone - I'm okay making one of 7 meals, for example, but I still get nervous about trying new things. I need to get over it.

behaze: Thanks for the encouragement See below, I did some mixed cardio/weights. Today (Saturday) I am going to be a weight-monkey to give my calf a break. I pull it a lot - stupid left leg. I have an ankle injury there and even though I wear a brace, I am constantly finding my body "adjusting" to take weight off the bad ankle and ruining proper form on machines. It makes for pulled muscles sometimes. I try, though.

Mern: We DO have a lot of shining examples, you're so right. Ugh, your sister sounds like my Dad. "The pills work just fine, that's what they're for. Here, have a cookie." I just want to SHAKE him sometimes. He had a triple bypass a couple of years ago, and it did seem to wake him up a LITTLE. He lost maybe 40-50 pounds and seemed to enjoy his physical therapy. But BOOM, when it was no longer mandatory, he just stopped. Now most of the weight is back, and I can see him looking pale/sallow, and it breaks my heart.

almeeker: You can do it I think you're very smart to be planning ahead and knowing yourself, what your body wants to do. Your choices are good ones!

Friday Report Card

Fitness, Exercise and Lifestyle Goals:
1) Under 1400 cals every day and log EVERYTHING. M: yes, 1200 on the nose T: yes, 1120 W: yes, 992 Th: yes, 1440 F: yes, 1,222
2) Average 30% daily protein for the week. M: 23% T: 30% W: 32% Th: 34% F: 23% (weekly average 28.4%)
3) 96 oz. of water EVERY day. M: 104 T: 72 W: 96 Th: 104 F: 96
4) No weighing until Friday! M: N/A T: No weighing! W: No scale Th: Nope F: Weighed
5) Work out 5-6 hours, split between weights and hard cardio. M: Day off T: No exercise W: No exercise. Again. Sigh. Th: one hour hard cardio elliptical F: 30 minutes cardio, 30 minutes weights
6) In bed by 11:30 every night M: Yes, I promise I will! T: Close, but no cigar W: No Th: Yes, barely F: Yes
7) Buy a heart rate monitor this weekend. M-F: N/A

Non-Fitness Goals:
1) Finish edits to my scientific manuscript (this manuscript is the culmination to my dissertation, I want it out in the world!) M: No T: Good chunk of it done! W: Slightly more progress Th: No progress F: Slight progress
2) Make efforts on my appearence every day - hair, makeup, clothing. M: Yes T: Not really... W: No Th: Yes, and got comments F: yes
3) Get every scrap of laundry hiding in the closet cleaned. M: No T: BF took care of it! W-Sun: N/A
4) One hour of needlework every day. M: Yes T: No W: No Th: No F: No
5) Have an "outside date" this weekend (the weather is SO beautiful). M-F: N/A
6) Buy new makeup. M: No T: No W: No Th: Nope F: No

Yesterday was rough. I ended up eating out for TWO meals - lunch didn't go so well (there were curly fries involved) but luckily the dinner place had an extremely diverse menu. It's a little diner I never would have thought to stop into here, but their menu was seasonally fresh, lots of fruits and veggies. I'll likely dine there again - the waitstaff informed me that their menu tends to change month-to-month depending on what's in season. I was able to have a lovely salad full of spring veggies. Logging it was difficult for both meals, so that number above is my best guess from the ingredients I could remember in the salad. I guess we all have logging problems like that!

Oh, and I totally had a SINGLE cookie yesterday. I made them myself, though, I had to taste the end product >.> (honestly, it wasn't bad!!)

Was nearly 40% fat yesterday and not the good kind! (see above mention of "curly fries"). Getting my protein/fat to balance out this weekend is a little mini-goal, I think. I bought some whey protein powder yesterday and I intend to start using it!!

Have a pretty bad pain in my calf today - I hurt it (I think just a little pull) during my cardio yesterday. I wasn't on the elliptical but had changed to rotate stairclimber/stationary bike, just to keep my body on its toes, and about 25 minutes in (on the climber) I just felt this awful YANK on it after a misstep. I went back to the bike and got to 30 minutes, then switched to weights. I think today I will go easy on it and have a "lifting day", and just avoid machines involving the calf. Days like today, I wish my gym had a rowing machine.

Now if only this headache would go away...

~Terri
Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Well last night (actually this morning at 1:00am, before going to sleep) I got hungry. Nothing seemed to satisfy my hunger. I had 2 servings of cashews, then a PB&J sammich. My stomach was growling. I hate late night hungers/cravings. I need to start going to sleep before they kick in. Well I was going to log it under yesterday's numbers but I figured putting it on today would make it that much harder to reach my Net Carb goal.

Mern, Thank you so much. It seems like there is so much to learn with everything. You are right, that's one of the great things in life. It sounds like you did really good at the buffet. I was telling my friend Will (my workout partner) the other day that I try to avoid buffets unless it's going to be a cheat day. He said, just eat the good stuff. I gave him my thought on that... IMO most people (not all, it sounds like you had it well under control) will probably over eat at a buffet on good or bad stuff. My theory is that it's a mental thing. Although I'm not a shrink (maybe Cassie can debunk my theory), I feel like many people want to get their $$ worth, and then some. They may go to a Chinese restaurant and be satisfied with one plate, put them at a Chinese buffet and one plate won't be enough. I think it's the "I paid for it, so I'm eating it" feeling. Pork rinds dusted with cinnamon sounds pretty good. Thanks for the tip!

acameron34, I thought I was one of the few guys left that actually cook. It sounds like you salvaged what could have turned into a bad day of eating. Congrats.

almeeker, Getting a race nailed down has been giving you a tough time, huh? I sure hope you end up finding one soon. You are killing all of your Health and Fitness goals, congrats! Maybe you should put the race with those goals next time. No problem on the tea, I hope it works out for you. (no pun intended)

Terri, I don't think you have to worry about Richard Simmons seeing you naked, he's like one of the girls. You have a whole lotta green and blue going on. Keep up the good work. Trying to figure out how to log food that you eat at a restaurant can be tough. As much as I hate 'big brother' and I feel like the government too often sticks its nose where it doesn't belong, I do think all restaurants should have their nutritional value listed online, or better yet on the menu. I'm sure before long that will be mandatory. Good luck on you calf!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:18 AM
FitDay Member

Just checking in to be accountable. Did great last night eating out and I'm having a pretty easy go of it today as well. Splurged on a few jelly beans to satisfy a sweet tooth, but it sure beat the high calorie alternative that I had been considering. Thinking about my A&W diet root beer float again today. Last weekend, for some strange reason, it really helped to fill me up on very few calories and avoid binges. (Maybe I just felt like I was being bad! LOL)

Just got back from clothes shopping with my daughter for her Spring Break trip... ah, to be young and to be able to wear those short shorts again! I'm afraid that horse has left the barn. I'm with so many of you in that I really regret not getting in better shape much earlier in my life. Why did I wait until I was in my 40's? So dumb. Still, I'm proud I made it. Better late than never. By 50, all of the women in my family (both sides) were over 200 lbs.

My mom told me, as she looked at a picture from the NHS event earlier in the week, that I could pass as my daughter's sister. Now, I don't know if that's because she loves me, that she's not as sharp as she used to be or that she has cataracts, but I'll happily accept that compliment.

Enjoy your weekend,

quinn
Old 03-26-2011, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

Friday Report Card

Weight Goals:
1. Calories under 1600 day - already blew that with a trip to the chinese restaurant for lunch with the hubby. We do that about once a month. M(NO), T(NO), W(yes!!), T(nope ), F(so close but NO)
2. Drink 80 oz water daily - M(no, 70), T(no, 70), W(yes, 112oz!), T(no, 50), F(no, 64)
3. Work out M, W & F - M(no), W(yes), F(no but so much housework was done it was worth it)
4. Stretches & relaxing T & T - T(no), T(no)

Non-weight goals
1. Don't let my younger son get to me - M(yes!), T(yes!), W(yes!), T(yes!) - This has to be a record!!, F(yes!)
2. Look further into foster parenting (classes start tonight) - M(yes), T(nothing to do), W(read through some of the orientation manual), T(another class done!), F(filled out a little more paperwork)
3. Spring clean (including closets...off Thurs & Fri for this) - T(yes, cleaned for five hours including one closet), F(yes, cleaned for at least 8 hrs with 5-6 being vigorous LOL...all closets done)
4. Outside yard work this weekend

I did so much housework on Friday that I didn't honestly have time to work out but know that I did a great job of staying busy because all except my family room & laundry room are spring cleaned so that has to mean something. They are going to get done on Sunday.
[/color]
Old 03-26-2011, 09:31 AM
FitDay Member

April,

I just read a great article in Healthy Cooking Magazine called, "Clean Up, Slim Down". It was all about how many calories you burn doing household tasks; a study done by Mayo Clinic. (Which is great news for me because I keep up two households. ) The gist of the article was if you couldn't afford a gym membership, etc. you could get an equal cardio workout at home doing everyday chores. So, give yourself a pat on the back... you did workout! ... and you have a great looking house!

For every 10 minutes of activity, here is the caloric burn:

Making Beds: 46-65 calories
Washing Windows: 48-69
Dusting: 31-44
Washing Floors: 53-75
Gardening: 42-59
Weeding: 68-98
Pushing a Lawn Mower: 52-74

My mother was approached by a friend in the early 70's to join an aerobics class. She told her, "I DO aerobics. I cut grass, shovel snow, take care of children, cook three meals a day, hang out laundry and keep a spotless house." Actually, I think she may have secretly written the article...

Last edited by quinnesec; 03-26-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by quinnesec
April,

I just read a great article in Healthy Cooking Magazine called, "Clean Up, Slim Down". It was all about how many calories you burn doing household tasks; a study done by Mayo Clinic. (Which is great news for me because I keep up two households. ) The gist of the article was if you couldn't afford a gym membership, etc. you could get an equal cardio workout at home doing everyday chores. So, give yourself a pat on the back... you did workout! ... and you have a great looking house!

For every 10 minutes of activity, here is the caloric burn:

Making Beds: 46-65 calories
Washing Windows: 48-69
Dusting: 31-44
Washing Floors: 53-75
Gardening: 42-59
Weeding: 68-98
Pushing a lawn Mower: 52-74

My mother was approached by a friend in the early 70's to join an aerobics class. She told her, "I DO aerobics. I cut grass, shovel snow, take care of children, cook three meals a day, hang out laundry and keep a spotless house." Actually, I think she may have secretly written the article...
This is so true. One of the things that I learned from wearing a pedometer is that housework, taking care of children and grocery shopping are a lot of work. A good friend of mine always claims that keeping up with me is like following the Energizer bunny and why I don't weigh 90 lbs is anybody's guess (I don't need to guess, I like to eat and I'm really good at it).

You know my parents are the same way, they don't belong to a gym because they live on a farm, and living that lifestyle burns a lot of calories. I'd be willing to bet that just doing the chores on the farm are as good as a 30 minute bike ride, and they have to be done 2X/day. During the winter mom gets out her Taebo videos and makes dad do them with her, but once the snow has melted and dad gets the garden tilled up, Billy Blanks goes back to the bottom of the cupboard again. Who needs to kick box when you have a rototiller that needs running?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.