Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7 Day Motivational Thread - Week Starting 03/14/2011 >

7 Day Motivational Thread - Week Starting 03/14/2011

Community
Notices

7 Day Motivational Thread - Week Starting 03/14/2011

Old 03-17-2011, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Sandi – way to go with the weight loss! Your scales are your best friend right now, hey?

Quinn – I love it when the wildlife comes right to your door. We have bold possums that steal the cat’s dry food only metres away from where we’re sitting. The kangaroos are getting used to us, too, if we don’t get too close. We’ve watched several generations of joeys growing up, and admire the way the big old granddaddy kanga protects his harem. Before we got our cat (had to get a cat, because we have no screens, so the mice were coming into the house and setting up home near wires and cables and leaving poo in our cupboards and I was getting sick of constantly cleaning it up), we had three kookaburras that would fly into the house and steal any meat that was defrosting on the bench. Cheeky things. If we were eating at the outdoor table, we’d feed them from our hands. Big, nasty-looking beaks, but they’re actually very gentle. Saw an echidna on the driveway a few months back, too. We’re actually fortunate because we live on 20 acres of dense bushland and across the road from a State Forest. Not every Aussie gets what we have. Sadly, in less than five years, a dirty great big highway is being slapped down right through here. Don’t know about bears, though. They’re a bit more aggressive than kangaroos!

Canary – good on you for getting to the gym and doing some writing stuff! I know you’ve not been well, so it’s great you’re putting in the effort!

Mike – hope you’re not losing that big, burly muscle! Yes, I’ve had cauliflower mash, expecting to gag on it. But no! Add a little bit of minced garlic, some herbs and some chicken or vegetable stock powder and it’s just like potato . . . well, it’s pretty close. Never had cauliflower pizza crust, though. I’ll have to look that one up. By the way, what is tripe?

Yuna – a big good luck to you! Fingers crossed you get the co-op!

Taubele – what a stroke of fantastic fortune that you landed the consulting work so quickly. If they kept you on this long (and are putting your name first on the cover – come on, you know it’s not just because you’re first alphabetically! ), you obviously know what you’re on about.
I do write adult fiction. I actually got in contact with a publishing group through an acquaintance, and a woman there, as a favour to this mutual acquaintance, gave me a cost-free critique. She came from the publishing house that is owned by one of the co-writers of Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus. They are strictly self-publishing, which I am by no means financially set up for, so I was hugely grateful for her assistance. I took a bit of time to go over my MS, paid attention to her suggestions, then got back in contact with her to give her my revised MS as she’d requested, when I discovered that she’d left the publisher and her replacement wasn’t prepared to take over where she left off, which is understandable. However, I am more than happy to jam my foot into any door that’s cracked open for me, so if you’re serious, I’d love to take you up on your offer. If you’re just talking, though, that’s fine too.
Isn’t it funny that if a woman mentions she feels ill in the morning, the first thought to cross everyone’s mind is ‘pregnant?’. Hehe. Glad you’re feeling better. Now that your chapters are all done, we all expect that you’ll tone down the stress and give yourself a nice breather.

Mern – any exercise is better than none, in my book! It’s awesome you’re so involved in your grandkids’ lives. And WOOOOO! Your weight loss is insane! Well done! I’ll bet you’re feeling super-foxy now!

Michelle – So happy you had a wonderful holiday and kept up with the exercise, too. And of course you’re supposed to indulge just a little bit when you’re on holiday. If you were running, too, it’s completely justified!

Azrunner – I’ve read the article Mike linked to, and I have to agree. It’s not easy to build up big, popping steroid-muscles . . . unless, of course, you take steroids, which no one would advise here (at least, as a female, you’d not have to worry about certain appendages shrinking ).
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

I got a phone call from a telemarketer this morning. Generally, I just ask them to remove this number from their database, nice and polite-like.

Today, however, I have, for some unknown reason, had quotes and scenes from Disney's The Road To El Dorado movie lodged firmly in my head.

'Can we count on your help today for our Rural Firies?'

'Nope. Not today. Can't do it. The stars . . . they're not in alignment.'

Long pause. 'Um . . .'

I had to hang up for fear I'd start giggling. It's probably not amusing to anyone who's not seen that movie (if she hadn't, perhaps she thought she'd got a hold of the local asylum), but for me it certainly was. Sorry non-fitness goal #4. I couldn't help myself. At least she'll have a story to tell when she goes home tonight.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by behaze
I got a phone call from a telemarketer this morning. Generally, I just ask them to remove this number from their database, nice and polite-like.

Today, however, I have, for some unknown reason, had quotes and scenes from Disney's The Road To El Dorado movie lodged firmly in my head.

'Can we count on your help today for our Rural Firies?'

'Nope. Not today. Can't do it. The stars . . . they're not in alignment.'

Long pause. 'Um . . .'

I had to hang up for fear I'd start giggling. It's probably not amusing to anyone who's not seen that movie (if she hadn't, perhaps she thought she'd got a hold of the local asylum), but for me it certainly was. Sorry non-fitness goal #4. I couldn't help myself. At least she'll have a story to tell when she goes home tonight.
you are much nicer than me. I report them to the FTC and stick them with an $11,000 fine b/c I've been on the DNC list. If I get nowhere with the FTC I contact the Attorney General in the state in which the business is domiciled. My business is greatly affected by the DNC list. I don't call anyone on the DNC list and I'll be damned if I'll let people to it to me.

Tripe is the lining of a cow's stomach. :Puke:

I hope my body isn't breaking down muscle during the night. I've been out of casein protein for about a month. I just ordered my supply of goodies.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM
FitDay Member

bhaze, I loved your telemarketer story. Thanks for your encouragement. I don't feel quite foxy at 225 lbs. BUT I can see the difference the 15 lb. loss made in my face and that makes me feel good.

Mike, yes, I eat mashed cauliflower a lot. I don't even miss potatoes any more--I add cheese, sour cream, and chives and shh, don't tell the others, but I occasionally add packaged bacon bits. Also eat cauliflower rice--can hardly tell the difference between that and regular rice. I used to have a recipe for "Spanish rice" made with cauliflower, but I can't find it. I'll look some more for that--it was my own recipe, but I haven't made it for quite a while. It had ground beef, tomato sauce, onion, green bell pepper, cauliflower, chili powder and other seasonings. Delicious and low carb.

Here's an odd but really yummy low carb snack: frozen (or thawed from frozen) raw Italian green beans or just plain fresh, raw green beans dipped in low carb dressing such as Ranch or bleu cheese dressing.

Experiment with marinating a small amount of frozen, raw, low carb veggies such as broccoli, green beans, bell peppers, several hours or overnight in your favorite low carb salad dressing to see how you like it. It may turn out to be a really quick salad for you.

Sour cream is great for creaming spinach or any kind of well-drained cooked greens. Low carb, no thickening agent needed.

Last edited by Mern; 03-17-2011 at 02:16 PM. Reason: corrected wording
Old 03-17-2011, 02:45 PM
FitDay Member

Oooh, Mern. I have ranch dressing! All out of green beans (shopping day is tomorrow), so I'll definitely get some. I am currently alternating between the fridge and pantry because I underestimated how much food/salad stuff we'd need this week, telling myself the white bread will give me leprosy and my 8yo's museli bars will give me the black plague . . . oh, give me strength! I know there's something in there I could make, because there is actually plenty of food, I just don't want to screw up my low-carbing. Well, I'm buying out the fruit and veggie shop tomorrow.

Mike, that is truly feral. Who in their right mind, while slaughtering a cow, would look at the stomach sac and say, 'this would go well with a bit of salt and pepper'?!
We have a DNC register, too, but for charities, educational institutions and politicians (of course ), the number is only taken off the list for two years, then they're allowed to call again. I used to work for a telemarketer because I was desperate for a job and that was literally the only short-term one going (I hated EVERY second of it and, because I was heavily pregnant and sort of emotional - it WAS, honest engine! I'd have a big teary before every shift started). One person started screaming at me, had me crying on the phone because he'd worked a night shift and how dare I interrupt him? I should have hung up, but I'm an idiot . I couldn't handle it for more than two months - the stress just wasn't worth the pitiful pay I was receiving. So I try to be nice to them. I do understand, though, being cranky for being called by people who aren't allowed to call you at all when you're on the DNC register. They deserve to be spoken firmly to.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

Oh, Mike, one more thing . . . soy protein, whey protein, casein protein . . . hoo! There are so many. We've tried soy, but it's gritty and lumpy. I have heard whey dissolves more easily, so we'll try that next. I've looked up the different types, but I get as far as the first paragraph, then they all start saying, 'blah-blah-amino acids-blablah-blah-metabolises-blah'. You've suggested whey to me before, and I know it's 'fast acting', for whatever that's worth. Casein is slow, so it . . . um, blah? What's wrong with soy (aside from consistency)? I will definitely try the whey once the soy is all used up. Is casein supposed to be for guys who want to try and build up their muscles (my partner wishes to do this)? Or is it just personal choice and in the end, it makes little difference?

Here I was, thinking I was over this issue - I just looked at the nutritional guides on the tubs at my supermarket and chose the one with the lowest calories that didn't have a picture of an Arnie-look-alike on the front. I feel like such a newbie.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know anything about soy, I've never used it. But yeah, whey is fast, casein is slow digesting. Whey is good for after a workout. Casein is good for long periods of time, such as before bed. A protein supplement is good for anyone looking to get extra protein in. I'd suggest getting it from real food first though. Since I workout late at night I mix my whey with cottage cheese (which has casein in it).

I found an old picture in my car (I had it also saved on my computer). Seeing that everyone's been posting pictures up lately, I figured I'd follow suit. Some of you may have seen it if you've seen any of my videos. This helped me through my workout tonight!

Health & Fitness:
Monday: enjoy my cheat day but keep cals within +1332 of what I burn. +1165 My numbers today are a close estimate since I didn't weigh anything. But I consumed about 3345 cals and 400g of carb. I'm glad I was able to keep some self control.

Rest of the week:
1) Net Carbs below 60g/day 64.5g grrrr I thought I set my goal at 65g, I just made my protein shake and the cottage cheese put me over! , 46.5g, 41.7g
2) work out 3 times yes, no, yes
3) gallon of water a day yes 135.2oz, yes 152.1oz, yes 135.2oz
4) take vitamin daily yes, yes, yes
5) take fish oil daily yes, yes, yes
6) -2400 cals for the 6 days -479, -423, -607

Non-Health Related
1) 3 random acts of kindness yes, no, no
2) call/email 60 prospects I'll report this on Friday or Saturday

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
FitDay Member

Once again, thanks, Mike. By the time I'm through with you, your brains will have been scooped out, picked through and dumped back in haphazardly, so I appreciate you undertaking to answer all my questions, however stupid in hindsight they seem to be (but now you know what state the contents of your skull will be in soon, do you still want to help? ).

I have egg whites for breakfast, turkey, chicken, ham or fish for pretty much every other meal . . . I feel I might suddenly sprout wings, make an ungodly oink and dive beak-first into the depths of the ocean . . . still, without the powder, I don't seem to be getting enough for the first phase. I think I'll stick with the whey for now (once the soy is gone). Cheers.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Dang, Mike...big difference! Very nice work.

You all are too funny. My husband is a telemarketer prankster, too. I am more on the receiving end. Some of my friends will occasionally call and pretend they need psychological help. I can't always tell, so I'm perpetually in fear of being really duped or of laughing off a real potential patient.

Sorry, can't join the cauliflower love-fest. That veggie and I are not friendly (when it's cooked; I like it raw okay). I love that this thread goes off on tangents but always stays true to goals when it needs to.

The wildlife stories remind me of the time a few years back when I kept a huge Rubbermaid bin on the patio full of birdseed. I looked out the window late one night to see one and possibly two raccoons dragging it down the backyard to the woods. I found it back near the creek the next day. I can only wonder how long they worked on it before they figured out they couldn't open it; I'm surprised they didn'T!

Didn't do too badly today, considering I didn't get much of a burn and had lunch out with a friend. I've really got to get my mind set for this weekend, though.

1. Average a 500 calorie daily deficit. 714, 504, 402 (no exercise did me in), 504
2. Carbs <50%. 40%, 48%, 44%, 50%
3. Five servings of fruits and veggies per day Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
4. Exercise daily (which I need, if I'm going to make #1). Yes (weights), Yes (45 min run), No-literally no time today, Yes (weights)
5. Drink 3 sports bottles of water daily. Yes, Yes, No-shame on me, Yes
6. Sleep 7 hours a night. No-awful-5, No-better-6, No-bad again-5.5, No-6
7. Name one thing each day I can do to prevent weekend relapse. Explain to family how tough weekends are and ask for help, I'm hanging my bathing suit on the pantry door beginning Friday afternoon, Plan meals and load into FitDay in AM both days...and eat according to plan, Find and read a nutrition article before eating anything not a meal

8. One office organizational task 5 out of 7 days this week. Yes (small, very small), Yes (small again), yes, yes
9. Paint one room of trim this coming weekend.
10. Pick out tile for the backsplash & deal with the faucet issue. Tile done, Got pics of the faucet and need to email them to the maufacturer's customer service

Have a good one, everybody...Friday's almost here (for some sooner than others, behaze).
Old 03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

'blah-blah-amino acids-blablah-blah-metabolises-blah'. You've suggested whey to me before, and I know it's 'fast acting', for whatever that's worth. Casein is slow, so it . . . um, blah? What's wrong with soy (aside from consistency)? I will definitely try the whey once the soy is all used up. Is casein supposed to be for guys who want to try and build up their muscles (my partner wishes to do this)?
Once again, thanks, Mike. By the time I'm through with you, your brains will have been scooped out, picked through and dumped back in haphazardly, so I appreciate you undertaking to answer all my questions, however stupid in hindsight they seem to be (but now you know what state the contents of your skull will be in soon, do you still want to help? ).
No problem, I enjoy helping. It makes me feel needed.

Here's my little tid bit for the night. Ladies... listen up!
To answer the question about BCCA (Branch Chain Amino Acids) and protein for men. Ladies did I lose you, or are y'all still there?? There is an amino acid in many protein powders and you can buy it by itself (it's pretty cheap). It's called arginine (L-Arginine), it's a vasodilator. I know someone's thinking 'vaso-what?' It dilates your veins, makes you look "veiny" or "vascular". So what are the benefits to you? Well that depends on if your man takes it. It increases blood flow to muscles. Now stop and think about that for a second.... okay I think the light bulb went off in some heads. For those that are still in the dark... it increases blood flow EVERYWHERE, better? Okay if you are still in the dark just google it. Your man may not NEED extra blood flow, but a little EXTRA can never hurt... well I guess it could.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.