Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/7/11 >

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/7/11

Community
Notices

7-Day Motivational Thread Starting 3/7/11

Old 03-11-2011, 11:05 AM
FitDay Member

Default Omega-3

About everything I read on the Internet says good quality, purified fish oil capsules are the best source of omega-3, but good dietary sources I found on various websites include:

fish: 2-3 servings per week--cold water fish such as salmon, herring, American Shad, Pacific and Atlantic mackeral, whitefish, Pacific oysters, Atlantic sardines and trout.

Omega-3 per 4 oz. serving:
chinook salmon-2 grams
halibut .6 grams
tuna .4 grams

free range beef and poultry (because of their feed)

raspberries, strawberries
tofu
wheat germ

veggies: leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, romain lettuce, collard greens.

oils: olive, canola, flaxseed, soybean and walnut

walnuts: 1/4 cup offers 2.27g omega=3.
almonds
pumpkin seeds
flaxseed (must be ground--body can't digest whole seeds) excellent source--2.4 grams per two tablespoon serving.

beans: one cup of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides between .2 and 1 gram omega-3

Last edited by Mern; 03-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

acameron34, welcome! Great goals--wishing you continued success!

Mike, so glad your tornados are gone! So sad about being about a year after Katrina before you heard another bird. I'd miss that terribly! Hey, good idea! Maybe I'll reward myself with a new pair of walking shoes when I make it up to 1.5 miles. I wonder if they have women's size 7 with Hannah Montana on them--'twould match my mp3 player. LOL Yup, at age 64, 40 year olds are just kids. I could just see you climbing on the front of the shopping cart. LOL I don't know anything about iphones, but it's not off topic since you can take progress pics with it. Anyway, casual conversation here is a nice change of pace sometimes.

jjeand, totally awesome that you're out of the obese range!!! I'm well into the obese range and someday I'll be celebrating as you did.

Almeeker I about fell off my chair laughing at your post: "...I do most of my cardio workouts on the elliptical, so I've given myself the opposite problem, big boobs and no ass. I'm built like a 12 year old football player, with his shoulder pads strapped on wrong." OMG "oh-beast"--so cute.

Cassie, yes, walnuts and flax seeds are on the list of good sources of Omega-3 I found on the Internet. Thanks. I read your husband's quote right after Almeeker's: "My husband says that with a boy, we only have to worry about one penis; if we had a girl, we'd have to worry about all of them." Oh, wow, that's hilarious! Congrats on re-sculpting your body and getting rid of the pear shape! That takes a huge amount of work! Inspirational, girl!

Terri, so glad you had one finger that "escaped the carnage." Quite a wonder that the purple line doesn't hurt! Thanks for the kudos. I accept all with a smile. Truly, it's so encouraging to me, being one of the oldest here, doing the least amount of exercise, and being recognized for my efforts. You all make me feel so good. I'm glad I'm here.

Last edited by Mern; 03-11-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM
FitDay Member

Mike, I showed my husband your 210 vs. 174 side-by-side comparison and your 3-11 photo. He was really amazed at all you've accomplished in just 6 months. He's 72 and has been going to the gym 3 times a week for two years and has gotten rid of most of his big belly but isn't all "muscled up" like you are. I told him you call it "six months of busting my ass" and he said it certainly shows you worked really hard at it.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Mern
About everything I read on the Internet says good quality, purified fish oil capsules are the best source of omega-3, but good dietary sources I found on various websites include:

fish: 2-3 servings per week--cold water fish such as salmon, herring, American Shad, Pacific and Atlantic mackeral, whitefish, Pacific oysters, Atlantic sardines and trout.

Omega-3 per 4 oz. serving:
chinook salmon-2 grams
halibut .6 grams
tuna .4 grams

free range beef and poultry (because of their feed)

raspberries, strawberries
tofu
wheat germ

veggies: leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, romain lettuce, collard greens.

oils: olive, canola, flaxseed, soybean and walnut

walnuts: 1/4 cup offers 2.27g omega=3.
almonds
pumpkin seeds
flaxseed (must be ground--body can't digest whole seeds) excellent source--2.4 grams per two tablespoon serving.

beans: one cup of soybeans, navy beans, or kidney beans provides between .2 and 1 gram omega-3
damn!!!! forget that! I just pick up my jar of Naturally More Peanut butter and for JUST 2 tbsp (32g) you get:
Omega-3 4.1g
Omega-6 1.2g

If my calculations are correct, you'd have to eat 2.5 POUNDS of tuna to equal the amount of Omega-3 that's in 2 tbsp of Naturally More. IMO PB taste better than fish any day... and I like fish.

Originally Posted by Mern
Mike, I showed my husband your 210 vs. 174 side-by-side comparison and your 3-11 photo. He was really amazed at all you've accomplished in just 6 months. He's 72 and has been going to the gym 3 times a week for two years and has gotten rid of most of his big belly but isn't all "muscled up" like you are. I told him you call it "six months of busting my ass" and he said it certainly shows you worked really hard at it.
tell him I said thanks! It's a shame I haven't seen much change in the last year though. But I really can't complain.

At 72 it'll be much harder for him to build muscle mass. If he doesn't lose any muscle then he'll be doing better than 99% of the people his age. The fact that he's not only active, but takes it to the next level by going to the gym speaks volumes. I recently read that doing bench press helps fight against glaucoma by lowering the pressure on your eyes. Many people don't realize how much of a big deal it is for seniors to be active, it not only keeps you in good physical health but keeps your mind sharp and is great mental boost. BUT... you may want to keep an eye on him if he starts wanting to do water aerobics, there's probably a lady or two that might be scoping out your beau!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 03-11-2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:31 PM
FitDay Member

Well I can say with great pride that I have gone way way over my food goal I really do not know how people can eat out and still stay any ware near there food goal it is nuts out there, next time I bring my own lunch that I make at home. But I can say that I am home now and back on the bus.
Kids are in Yuma now with grama so mybe I can do spring cleaning while there away. (two weeks)
P.S. eating out will never let you hit your food goals
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

64rhoda, I'm sure you did the best you could with what you had to work with. Eating out IS difficult. Enjoy your quiet time for the next two weeks!

Hope everyone's weekend is off to a good start. Today was crazy with contractors in and out...I didn't get in any exercise until 10:40, when I made myself get on the treadmill and run for 35 minutes. It wasn't my best effort, but it was all I had and it was better than nothing. Tomorrow we have a barbecue to attend, so hoping there are some good choices there. I'm taking homemade cornbread and a big fruit salad, so at least I know what's in those.

Today was:

1. Average a 500 cal deficit daily. 679, 600, 516, 414, 495
2. Keep carbs at 45%; no more than 50. 49%, 45%, 47%, 44%, 50%
3. Exercise daily (need it, for #1) Yes (weights), Yes (tennis), Yes (50 min run), Yes (weights), Yes (35 min run)
4. 5 fruits and veggies daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, NO
5. Sleep 7 hours nightly. Very bad 5:15, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
6. 3 sports bottles of water daily. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
7. Stay off the scale till Monday. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, but I really want to check!
8. Snack smart: no trigger foods disguised as "snacks." Forgot, but did okay snacking, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

9. One office organizational task five out of seven days. This was not the day, Yes, Not today, No and I've really got to get back into this habit! Somebody bust my chops about it, please! Yes
10. Paint one room of trim by end of weekend.

Last edited by cjohnson728; 03-12-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know where I went wrong. Well, I do... I didn't pay close enough attention to my food log today. I got bored and ate a little more than I should have. I didn't make bad choice (the highest carb item was an apple @ 19.1g), just let it slip through today.

Health & Fitness
1) Keep total (not net) Carbs under 75g/day 61.9g, 73.1g, 68.8g, 61.5g,90.0g
2) drink a gallon of water a day 135.2oz, 135.2oz, 135.2oz, 135.2oz, 135.2oz
3) take vitamin daily yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
4) take fish oil daily yes, yes, yes, yes, yes
5) 2500 cals deficient for the week -639, -393, -432, -420, -159
6) workout 3 times yes, no, yes, no, no
7) do Plyometrics 1 time no, no, no, no, no
8) start my journal yes
9) post how I'm feeling with low carbs daily here yes, yes, yes, yes, yes

Non Health & Fitness
10) 4 random acts of kindness no, no, no, no, no
11) makes 50 calls to prospects too many of them were on the DNC list (sent emails instead), no (took off), Gov. issued a state of emergency so legally I can not make outbound calls to prospects. between calls and emails = 63 (still have 1 more day)
12) to push/ encourage the next person to post here to meet their goals MunaAmin:not yet, no, no (I didn't have the heart to push), nope, no
Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM
FitDay Member

mike may i ask, is my name in you #12 just a typo or am I the next person you decided to push a little

I had a HUGE success yesterday - DH put near me a bowl of fruit and nuts and I didn't take even one... those of you who know me also know that nuts are my weakness. But i resisted, and instead of nuts i made a milkshake from 1 pint soya milk and 2 bananas, it was delicious, no added sugar. I shared with him of course.

Mern i also measure everything, scales are the only sure way how to estimate how much one eats. When i create custom foods, I calculate 1 serving as 100g and then if i eat say 25g i enter it as 0.25 serving.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:05 AM
FitDay Member

Mike, when is that big four oh?

I'll certainly look for that peanut butter. I looked online and found that Walmart carries it. I've got one just 2 miles from me, so will stop in and see if they have it. Thanks for the tip.

In addition to going to the gym three days a week DH also walks 3 miles in 45 minutes 3 days a week. Ah, I'll have to tell him what you said about it being harder at his age to build muscle mass. He does several machines at the Y and does bench press but I don't know how much he does. There's a staffer there who sort of looks after the senior citizens, so that puts my mind at ease.

I already have glaucoma and it's aggravating to deal with. I've lost a lot of my basement (straight down) vision and have to remember to survey the floor or path before walking so I don't trip and fall. I've fallen outside only once and sustained only a bloody knee, but forgetting to survey the sunken living room floor has caused me to fall up the two shallow steps more than a few times. Luckily we have thick padding under the carpeting. That helps a lot. But I'm fortunate to have lost only basement vision so far and still have great peripheral vision. I'd go nuts without being able to drive.

I'm looking forward to turning 65 in July. Then I'll be joining the Y under the Humana Medicare Advantage Silver Sneakers program. The Y is only 2.5 miles from our house. But I'm more interested in classes--especially step aerobics and spinning, and something for flexibility. I know about yoga classes but am hoping for something a little easier for senior citizens--I'm sure there will be something. Machines aren't my cup of tea, but I'll be open to suggestions when I join.

There may be women at the Y scoping out my beau, eh? Maybe I'd better ask if he's interested in water aerobics.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 AM
FitDay Member

Geez, Cassie! Running for 35 minutes sounds like a wonderful amount of exercise to ME! I'm sure everyone here will agree that you deserve kudos for that. And kudos on all your other achievements this week. Best wishes at the BBQ.

Rhoda, like Cassie, I'm sure you tried your best at the restaurant. It is indeed nuts out there and you have every right to be proud that you got right back on th bus when you got home. A lot of people blow their food goal for the day and then figure they'll just eat whatever they want for the rest of the day and start anew the next day. I've done it many times in the past. I'm lucky that when I eat out, MOST of the time I know ahead of time and MOST of the time I can go online and find the restaurant's menu and make my food choices ahead of time. I even write it down. LOL on taking your own lunch from home. But I do tote my own homemade salad dressing and am not embarrassed to use it instead of the restaurant's. Still, I go over sometimes--like yesterday we ate our evening meal at 3PM and I went over in carbohydrates snacking in the evening. And sometimes the temptation at a restaurant is just more than I can bear. Enjoy your vacation from the kids. Be sure to give yourself some pampering and fun time amid the spring cleaning.

Muna, that milkshake with the soymilk and bananas sounds delicious. What's the taboo with the nuts--too high fat or too much sodium? I can eat unsalted almonds, pecans, and walnuts. I can't eat bananas, but I found a delicious banana flavored protein shake powder that I enjoy. Thanks for the great tip on entering the custom food in the nutrition tracker--sounds easier than how I do it. I've been figuring mine by U.S.A. cups or ounces of weight or by the entire weight or measurement of the dish and then entering the appropriate decimal. I'm going to try your way next time--entering custom food initially by 100 gram portions and thereafter logging the appropriate decimal.

Mike, I did the same thing yesterday. After I reached my carb limit for the day, I snacked on a high fiber, low carb tortilla with muenster cheese and a large strawberry. And I think it's OK to do that occasionally--as long as it's good nutritious food.

My Friday achievements:
Calorie limit 1600, actual 1571
Carb less fiber limit 25g, actual 29.3
Got in my omega-3 with flaxmeal

Water goal 64 oz., actual 53

Exercise--new record of 1.2 miles at the park.

Last edited by Mern; 03-12-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.