FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   What would you do at the movie theatre? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/3463-what-would-you-do-movie-theatre.html)

TiffanyC83 02-18-2011 11:42 AM

What would you do at the movie theatre?

Ladies, i need help, how do i choose what to eat at the movie theatre? Would you just not eat anything? or, choose something you would think is less fat? I want to go, but i'm scared of what I might do. I don't want to give up my social life, because of the food that might be there.
Tips anyone.

zootnarf 02-18-2011 01:06 PM

I bring my own food, not just to be healthier but also to be cheaper! Those prices are ridiculous. I find my largest purse and pack it with a diet soda, some microwave popcorn, and sometimes a small bag of chocolate chips or M&Ms to throw in the popcorn. Love the salty/sweet combo! Don't forget the napkins! :D And open your soda before the movie theater fills up and not during the most quiet, intense scene of the movie. *POP!!!!* *glare*

GameGal 02-18-2011 03:55 PM

Our theater almost frisks people to be sure you arent bringing your own in. You can prolly get away with a box of candy brought in, but not soda or popcorn. However, that's not really the point.

I think if it was me, I would do one of 2 things... I would get a small popcorn with no butter or if you can control how much goes on *(and it isnt butter, its that oil) put just a small amount on if you MUST have it. Or I would find out what kind of concessions they sell, and do some homework by looking up the calories/fat etc and then you will know what is the best and maybe only eat half. My theater also serves hot dogs and other things like that, so I might decide to have a hot dog so I feel like I am having that theater/food participation, but then count it as a meal. It isnt easy to decide. Good luck!

zoozie 02-18-2011 09:03 PM

I have never been a big "food at the movies" type of person, but I have enjoyed a few sour patch kids in the past!

I would bring food from home, maybe some nuts or dried fruit to snack on.

MunaAmin 02-18-2011 10:23 PM

I never eat in cinema. It is very distractive and when you drink then you need to go pee :d it kinda ruins the whole experience. Eat before or after.

taubele 02-19-2011 01:08 AM

It depends on how rigorous they are checking.

If you get frisked, I'd often bring along a tiny bag of swedish fish (I actually have to chew them and am satisfied with less) put in the "secret pocket" of my purse (I have this one zipper on the inside that they never seem to see or open)

The one I currently go to doesn't even bat an eye, so if I'm feeling hungry I bring some home-popped popcorn in the purse and a bottle of water.

Most of the time, though, I just eat before I go. Eating during the movie can be distracting.

vabeachgirlNYC 02-19-2011 04:10 AM

I hardly go to the movies. The noise of people eating annoys me. But if I have to go I just bring a bottle of water with me. Mass produced concession stand type food kinda grosses me out anyways.

RunbikeSki 02-19-2011 04:38 AM

I could add this to the pet peeves thread, but I really hate hearing everyone around me chomping away on popcorn, nachos, and chips, then washing it all down with a big old slurp of soda.

I agree with the zoozie and Muna, I prefer not to nosh at the movies. It has never been a big part of my cinema experience to fill my tummy while being filled with the wonder of a great movie story.

But that's me and it does seem reasonable to either bring or buy a bottle of water, maybe add one of the tubes of crystal lite or propel for flavor and enjoy a small bag of unbuttered popcorn. (Do you very best to resist the hard sell from the cutie behind the counter telling you that for only 50cents more you will get 3 times as much :D ).

01gt4.6 02-19-2011 04:47 AM

try going soon after eating a real meal, this way you'll be full and maybe won't want to snack out. If you feel like you have the urge to put something in your mouth when you're in front of the big screen, drink water, chew gum, have a mint or maybe have a small bag of nuts or trail mix.

If you can't resist the snacks and allow yourself a cheat day, then plan it around that.

zootnarf 02-19-2011 05:36 AM

Wow, I didn't realize how lucky we are at our movie theaters here. I've never been asked what is in my purse, much less been frisked! It's just not an issue. I'm sorry you all have so much trouble. You are welcome to come out to sunny Southern California anytime and go to the movies with me! :D