FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   I try so hard and don't see the results I want (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/334-i-try-so-hard-dont-see-results-i-want.html)

klj12 02-03-2010 01:58 PM

I try so hard and don't see the results I want

Ok, this is the first time I have ever done a forum. I think though that getting feedback from people that have the same goals as I do will be helpful.

I am trying to loose about 17 or so pounds. I am currently 177 and would like to get down to 160 as my first goal. I am getting married in June and it would be great to do it by then.

I have done the Atkins diet with great success in the past and have kept it off for the most part. I have tried this again a couple of times and it doesn't seem to work like it did before and I am not sure why.

I have since then just started focusing on eating healthier and more balanced, trying to get alot of fiber and and whole grains along with lean proteins and fruits and veggie's. I definitely feel better while I am eating better which is a good thing, but I am not seeing the scale move much. I keep losing and gaining the same 5 pounds over and over.

I am super busy with work and school so finding exercise is hard for me, but I do manage to get in the gym maybe 3 times a week depending on what is going on.

I find that my calories are usually in the 1,300-1,400 range with a good percentage balance. The program says my BMR is about 2400 a day so I think I should be in a good deficit even without exercise but I am just not seeing the numbers change the way I would like them to.

I would love to know what some people do to get over a hump and get the scale moving again or if anyone is in my boat or has been I would love some advice.

kathietaylor 02-03-2010 07:25 PM

I have had the same problem too, the weight should be coming off faster! I think for me the issue is the carbs. I no longer touch simple carbs like white bread, white pasta, white rice, etc....but I still love the cereals and whole grain breads. I would probably lose faster if I could back off on them a little bit. So check your carb intake. Are you drinking enough water? That is another thing I find slows down weight loss, is lack of water.

Good luck!

babypinkbunny 02-24-2010 02:51 AM

I hear you~! I have been diligently working out 5 days a week for an hour, eating within my calorie range, drinking tons of water each day, i just don't get it. I have only lost 6 lbs. from Jan 6. I am so frustrated and confused as to what I am doing wrong? I know perhaps some is muscle- but in 2 months, I would have thought I would have lost 12 lbs by now. Oh well- I guess consistency is key.. Sorry I don't have any advice, but i know how you feel!

need2losen2010 02-24-2010 03:20 AM

klj12

I don't know how old you are. But I do know at 50 if I don't exercise at least 45-60 minutes 5 x a week. I DON'T lose no matter how good my caloric intake is. As someone else mentioned WATER, WATER, WATER, . Hang in there , don't quit & you will see results.

KFue 03-10-2010 02:27 AM

I am having the same issue and have been searching the forums looking for the answer. I recently saw a personal trainer who told me my eating habits were unhealthy (1000 calories or less a day- mostly carbs) and messing up my metabolism, she recommended I eat 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat (consuming 1300-1600 cals a day) along with 1 hour of cardio 5x a week. I have been following her plan religiously, sometimes exercising more than an hour each day and I haven't lost ANY weight, in fact I gained 2 lbs.:eek:
I am really freaking out about this, I was hoping to lose 1-2 lbs a week w/ this workout and exercise plan and it seems to be getting me no where. She told me to stick with it for at least 6 weeks, and that this is the normal reaction the body has as it gets used to a new diet and that something magical happens after the 6 week mark. I am not going to give up, but I will be so disappointed if I keep at this for nothing. I'm still hoping to lose 10-20 pounds by the end of June.

Has anyone else had the problem of gaining weight with a new exercise and workout plan? Maybe you had the same problem and worked through it with good results?

I am consuming b/t 1200-1400 calories a day and burning enough calories at the gym that I should be seeing results and am really bummed. :(

Lizzycritter 03-10-2010 02:44 AM

It always goes slower than we want. With the wedding coming up, you are probably under a lot of stress, and adding stress on to yourself by wanting so much to lose the weight. Stress packs on the pounds for me. I sneak a bite here or there off the kids' plates, don't even realize I'm doing it. Even with no change in calories, the weight won't come off when I'm stressed out. And boy, am I stressed today! Sometimes no gain is as much of a victory as a loss. Try to carve out some down time, a half hour of music, a bath, a leisurely walk, whatever you enjoy. Make sure you are sleeping too, if you're exhausted the weight is going to be more stubborn too. You still have 3 months, there's time.

tdiederich 03-10-2010 06:21 AM

You have to remember, when you start an exercise program, you might gain weight initially since you are replacing fat with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. The scale alone is not a good way to measure your progress, monitoring your measurements (bust, waist, hips, etc) is a much more actuate way to see your progress. When you see the inches mealt away, you know you are on the right track. I weigh and do my measurements but it's my measurements (and how my clothes fit) that means the most to me. I never let the scale get to me these days.

:p Tracy :p

klj12 03-15-2010 12:44 PM

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies...it has been very frustrating and I have sort of slipped off the track over the past couple of weeks, but I am getting back on track this week. I do think that I am very stressed and that probably doesn't help things. Hopefully I will get better about that soon too!

Wylie7 03-16-2010 02:34 AM

I was also in the same boat. I was trying to lose 17 lb, but after 2 months, I had gained. I go to a trainer and he did an assessment which actually showed that I had gained 7 lb in muscle and lost 5 lb in fat. I had lost 6 inches around my hips and thighs. Now, after 3 months, I only have 4 lb to go before I reach my goal. Incidentally, I revised my goal after I found out I gained 7 lb in muscle (so 12 lb to lose). Muscle burns more calories, so it will start to help. Hang in there and you will see results!! Think of it as getting healthy until the weight starts to come off...

Amazon2Andes 03-16-2010 07:31 AM

Me Too!

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I have totally changed my eating habits, added the gym and bike riding to my routine - yet just one pound after two weeks! I wasn't expecting huge results, but for sure more than a pound in a week.

I can feel a change in the way the clothes fit, so I am happy with that. And the workout/ride gets a little easier.

My plan is to keep tweaking it a little more each day. I've done things like going from whole eggs to egg whites, to increasing my reps per set at the gym - and hopefully I will see that scale move.