Community
Notices

Keeping my head above water

Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hope you're having a great day
Old 01-25-2011, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

Well, I went to the doctor yesterday. He thinks I have fibromyalgia. I've been telling myself it's not that for a while, since I have more trouble with joints than muscle, but deep down in places I don't want to admit...I think he's right.

Damn it all to hell.

So I've started a new medication last night. I have mixed feelings about that because its brand new on the market, Savella I think it is, and I don't like taking drugs without a clear track record. But I've only taken two 1/4 doses and I think my knees feel better. Almost 40 lbs lost and my knees keep getting steadily worse, if it was arthritis I'd expect the weight loss to help more than it has. So we'll see. Maybe if this stuff works well enough, I can get off the Celebrex. I hate popping pills. Beats crying on the couch though.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Super Moderator

Aaahhh, Lizzy, I'm sorry. ((Hugs to you)). If this is the case, though, I know you will meet the challenge head on and fight it with everything you have, which is a lot.

Sometimes the things we have to do to get better are a trade off...no magic, perfect solution. Just have faith in yourself that you are strong enough to handle this latest hurdle and know that you have done well by your body over the past several months, so it should start paying you back for that any time now. You are definitely a mind-over-matter kind of girl and you'll get past this and come out stronger, I know it.

Hope you got some rest this weekend .
Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks, I've decided I'm taking tomorrow off. Might fold some of the mountain of clean laundry, but mostly I'm going to watch Spongebob and color with my son. The kids went to grandma's Saturday and Sunday, and Monday I was running errands and appointments, so today my son was kinda clingy, he's 2. Some bubba/momma time would do us both good I think. Hubs and I did get a ton done with the kids out of our hair, there's still several small projects I want to tackle around here but not tomorrow. I need a break, so I'm gonna take one .

On the bright side, I heard birds chirping this morning. I think the poor little things are coming back too soon. I'm looking forward to being able to go outside again, the cold is just too much for me to take I'm afraid. It's kind of corny but when I can get outside walking, especially in the woods, or get my hands in the garden, it's kinda like going to church for me. Not that I go to church, I don't, because I've never found God or any sort of spiritual connection in a stuffy old building. But outside, close to nature and with other living things around me, I feel connected to the world and at peace. I could use some of that right now. The purring cat behind my head will have to do. He's not too bright but he's warm and friendly.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Taking a day to "be" a two year old sounds like a good idea!

A break for your body and mind!
Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzy, I just want to say that my heart goes out to you for all you've been going through with your job, your health, and life in general. You seem to have gotten more than your share of troubles and struggles and then some.

I was diagnosed with fibro 6 years ago. I can say that with fiobro, you need rest days. Please keep that in mind and if you're going to have busy times, please make time to have rest times. I like what Vabeachgirl said: take a day to be like a two year old. (I also loved the boots/slush picture. Vabeachgirl you seem like an adorable person. Just a side note.)

And so many people here are so supportive. I hope you feel well cared for, Lizzy as you more than deserve to be. You seem like a really good person and it's really unfair that good people go through this. But you are not alone.

Everyone's fibro is different but if I can help with some info, a recommendation for a book or two on it, let me know. Fibro encompasses a lot, more than people know. I found out that other health issues I've had in my life were actually from fibro. Who knew? Certainly not me. I ran from doctor to doctor for various aliments all related-I now know-to fibro. Maybe we can share info, if you like. I have been other meds but not Savella so I'd like to hear about your response to it, if you'd like to share.

I try to take time, breathe, meditate, find joy whenever and wherever I can. I hope you can too. My friend Jean and I joke that life is sometimes like a sh**tstorm without an umbrella. But corny as this sounds, there's got to be a rainbow in there too. And the pot of gold for me is the people who love you and care.

Last edited by canary52; 01-26-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzy,

You sound so much like me. I live on the edge of a woods and river and I miss the peace and tranquility I find there when the weather in the north is brutal. No matter what issues I've faced in life, I've been able to find peace, comfort and answers while hiking, climbing or snowshoeing alone. I've had some of my best laughs (and cries) there while pounding the trail.

I've also found that a purring cat is the absolute best heating pad known to man.

Hang in there... the chirping birds are a sign of spring and winter's end; a time of renewal and exciting things ahead. They give us a clue that the worst of winter is over.

quinn
Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Lizzy, sorry your news wasn't too good but you seem to have come so far already that I feel you can make it through this too. I agree with everyone who says you need to rest up regularly, the problem with conditions like fibromyalgia is that when you have a good day you try to take advantage of it and do too much, you have to pace yourself always. Now that's easy to say, but I know that with all that goes on in a family it's not so easy to do but for everyone's sake you gotta put yourself first sometimes.
Peace and comfort can be found in the simplest things, but it looks like you have found that already, and as you can see from my piccie, I'm a cat lover. Take care.

Last edited by Lizards13; 01-26-2011 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling