Notices

How to get husband motivated to losin weight?!?!?!

Old 01-30-2010, 03:08 PM
FitDay Member

Question How to get husband motivated to losin weight?!?!?!

I know my husband wants to lose weight & get healthy, we are tryin to start a family, but how do i "ween" him to eating healthier. He HAS to have some kind of dessert every night, doesnt exercise at all.

He has done ALOT better since weve been together. I got him drinkin NO MORE SODAS! Been 'soda free' bout 5 1/2 years now! ( I myself have to, was dr. pepper 'addict'. Last time i tried a dr. p, was couple years ago an it just made me sick.) I swear he went through 24 pk a week of coke, cut down red meats alot an hes actually eaten more chicken, after over 10 years of smokin, hes been 'smoke free' for almost a year now! He is eaten more furits & veggies, but i guesss its just mainly exercise he needs.

I tell him just jump on my treadmill for at least 10 min in the mornin, work your way up. I think he just needs some motivation, something to get him goin. Any guys out there have any suggestions, or women who have got their husbands movin in the right direction?? help. please........
Old 01-30-2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Hi...I have the same problem. My husband has been steadily putting on the pounds. He was 140 lbs. when I met him; we have been married for 19 years and he is now 220! His health is very concerning to me (had high cholesterol and triglycerides at last check); he knows he needs to do something but his motivation is marginal. I gave him a workout game for the Wii that is pretty comprehensive; he liked it a lot but has been so busy lately that he hasn't used it. So I am stumped along with you.

Maybe you could suggest that your hubby get a physical; it might be that the numbers that come back and what the doc says are motivation for him to get started. Just keep doing what you're doing for yourself, cooking healthy food for meals and having healthy snacks around. Depending on where you live and the weather, you might ask him if he wants to take a walk, a hike, or a bike ride with you, if any of those appeal. How about a pick up game of basketball? Think about what he sees as fun and try to work with that; he might be more likely to get involved.

At the end of the day, though, just remember, he needs to take responsibility for himself, just as you need to take care of you. You can encourage him, but unless he does it for himself, it will just frustrate you both. Hope he gets a jump start soon!
Old 01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
FitDay Member

ya, im gonna try my best. When the weather gets nice again im gonna get him walkin w/me. What really did it for me, was when i got on here an all i ate for one day was added up. I was so schocked & disgusted w/myself. Especially after when i seen how much i was only supposed to be eatin. But hopefully he will get there, just baby steps i guess. I definetely dont wanna presssure him cause i felt like that many times & it just makes things worse. You HAVE to WANT to do it. Im glad im finally in that place, hope he gets therre soon. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

It sounds like he is starting in the right direction, so motivation he could use from you is every time he works do something he would want to do like go see a movie he wants, or go to baseball game just for him that weekend, or this might sound crazy but after he has worked out with you and taken a shower offer to "reward" by giving him a bj, it might sound crazy but i bet he will atleast work out more.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

I think guys by nature tend to really like competition.

My husband doesn't need to lose weight but he always is trying to gain weight and bulk up (which can be oh so frustrating). So needless to say we have different issues but one thing we do together to motivate us both is hold gym competitions. We keep a tally on our calendar at home to see who can go to the gym the most in one month. The loser buys the winner something he or she wants at the end of the month! It has worked really well for both of us!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM
FitDay Member

I just had to post because I saw Jules name and thought "wow, that's my hero that started the 5-15 club! It has really blossomed-thanks Jules and good to see you post!

I think all of us have someone we'd like to see lose weight that we love. In my household, it's my teenage daughter. Hubby works out and eats healthy. Obviously my relationship with my daughter is different than my husband, but human nature being what it is, most people won't change until they're ready and nagging or pleading doesn't work. I don't know who shops in your home, but I do the shopping so I can exert some control there. If others want unhealthy food, they have to fend for themselves. Other than that, I try to give loving acceptance, prepare healthy meals (i'm not perfect!) and set a good example. When she's ready to change her eating habits, I'll support her every step of the way. As for exercise, sometimes she lets me train her (that's my job by trade), but I don't push it on her. I invite her for walks and sometimes she comes, other times declines.

One thing I'm thinking of trying is to have a non-gadget day each week. No t.v., no texting, no facebook for everyone. Could hear a lot of screaming about the texting though! Obviously I'd miss the forums