Notices

Don't understand Calorie Needs Calculators

Old 01-10-2011, 01:29 PM
FitDay Member

Default Don't understand Calorie Needs Calculators

Okay, I have tried diff ones and they are similar. My baseline with "little activity" is 1500-1600 depending on the website.

If I change the setting to "Exercise 5x a week" my needs jump to 1900+. I don't see how exercising 5x a week can increase my caloric needs by 400 cal per day, for 7 days = 2800 additional calories.

That would mean I would need to burn 2800/5 exercise sessions = 560 calories per session, which would have to be about an hour of hard running or 1.5 -2 hours of more moderate exercise, according to activity calculators.

Is that what the "exercise level" drop down menus assume? Or is the after burn effect so much greater?

Instead, I have been going off the baseline 1500-1600, and then figuring I burn about 200 more for my little 30 minute video workouts.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM
FitDay Member

My understanding is that the energy expenditure continues on after the workout is done depending on intensity and duration, with HIT elevating longest afterwards.