Notices

Newbie. New year resolution: -50 lbs? anybody?

Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 AM
FitDay Member

Talking

Hey Ladies!

I'm hoping to join in too! I'm a full time graduate student and I've basically let school, late study nights, and a horrible diet soda addiction take over my life. I joined fitday, and then ignored it for months, moping around about needing to lose weight rather than actually doing anything about it. I've now been soda free for almost two months, and I'm planning on starting to go to the gym at school as soon as our semester starts up again next week.

I'm all for finding people to hold me accountable! I agree with Meekness, once weekly weigh-ins could be a great idea, as well as food-log sharing...I think I might be much less likely to cheat if everyone would see I cheated!

edit: also forgot to mention I'm looking at losing around 40, but I figure that's close enough to fifty to participate, yeah?

Last edited by kittensniffles; 01-09-2011 at 05:41 AM. Reason: left amount out!
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Kittens!

How is everyone doing today?
Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Ladies!

Making a step in the right direction tomorrow...after I drop my brother off at the airport I'm headed to get a new student ID so I can actually use the gym on campus, and after getting my ID I'm headed straight to the gym! Hopefully it will be day one of a healthy future that finally includes a positive relationship with exercise! Now I just need to stay motivated enough to keep it up! How about anyone else? Any good news, or news at all?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by kittensniffles
Hi Ladies!

Making a step in the right direction tomorrow...after I drop my brother off at the airport I'm headed to get a new student ID so I can actually use the gym on campus, and after getting my ID I'm headed straight to the gym! Hopefully it will be day one of a healthy future that finally includes a positive relationship with exercise! Now I just need to stay motivated enough to keep it up! How about anyone else? Any good news, or news at all?
Good for you, Kitten! I would like to recommended getting a book called "The New Rules of Lifting for Women". Please, please, PLEASE get the book! I've learned soooooooo much about metabolism, anerobic exercise, and proper nutrition since reading it.

As for me...
I'm doing well. I ate off my normal plan today, but I'm not stressing out about it. I didn't make it to the gym this morning, and we're expecting a snow storm, so I will workout at home this evening like I did on yesterday. I usually hit the gym every morning for a 45 minute workout.

I hope the others check in soon. I would love for this thread to be active daily.

I will continue to check in. Promise .
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

Hello, just checking in for the day. All is well... TOM is in the house, so I'm feeling like, blah! I can't wait until he departs of Friday. YAHOO!!

Have a great day all
Old 01-20-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Default looking for advice

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and to Fit day period. I think this may be the right forum to join. I would love to lose 40 to 50 pounds, but at this point, I'd be tickled if I lost a pound! GRRRR. Anyway,I need some advice so here goes!
The week before New Years I started exercising about 30 minutes 3 days per week. I vary between elliptical (which I LOVE!) treadmill, exercise bike and throw in some weight repetitions from time to time. More focused on cardio this early in. I plan to work strength later! Anyhow, for the first two weeks, I stayed off the scale and ate "normally" (didn't monitor calories). I felt pretty good. Stopped taking my meds for depression, am sleeping well. Things going great~ Ok....last week I got on the scale on Sunday and started keeping track of calories. I had gained 4 pounds. After 2 weeks of keeping track of calories (I shoot for 1600-1700 per day because I didn't want to set myself up for failure and figured I would decrease gradually). I watch carefully 6 of 7 days....7th day is "free" Ok...got on scale after 7 days of that.....up another 1.2 pounds. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong???? At this point I'm extremely frustrated. This week we've been sick at home, so my calorie count has actually been way lower...not an ounce lost. GRRRR.HELP PS, I get back on the scale Sunday and it's not looking good!
Old 01-21-2011, 12:41 AM
FitDay Member

Default finding your zone

Hi All,

I am drinking coffee and wandering through the forums trying to pick up tidbits of advice; found one here about the book. I think I will order it this weekend.

I wanted to respond to Smthrn. For years I was in the same boat as you until I found the right combination of foods for my body. It didn't seem to matter how much I exercised or how low my calorie count was, the weight just hung on. One day in the grocery store as I was standing in line at the check out I saw one of those womens magazines with "lose ten pounds this month" on the cover. I thought why not, what did I have to lose besides 30 pounds.

What it suggested was to reduce your carbohydrate intake. Monitor your carbohydrate intake to 30grams for breakfast, 15grams for a snack, 30 for lunch another 15snack and 30 for dinner. I tried it and it wasn't difficult and was very surprised to find my clothes looser and me 3lbs lighter by the end of the week. (before trying that, it took me all summer to drop 3lbs that year and I was very physically active) It was a light-bulb moment. After that I started reading lots of books on low-carb dieting and on low-glycemic index foods. I tweaked my eating habits and had the weight off in no time! AND by learning what worked for my body KEPT it off for four years!

But, with a few stressful periods in my life; I lost track of myself as well as my eating and put most of it back on. So I am back here hoping that tracking my food intake will get me back on course to healthier eating and weight loss. I love reading the threads and seeing everyone's posts.

Oh yeah, I always gain weight the first week of working out. I think it is mostly water; your muscles are inflamed from the exercise and will adjust once they get used to the work.

I am also finding out that I think I have issues with gluten. I've noticed after I have not eaten bread in a while and then start, I end up with intestinal distress and a distended gut. NOT pretty.

Ok, well time for a 20 minute yoga workout and then to work. If anyone is interested, there are free downloads for yoga workouts at YogaDownload - Free Online Yoga Videos! Your top online yoga studio with the best Yoga Videos, Audio Yoga Classes, Meditation, Beginner Yoga, Advanced Yoga and more - stream or download. I like this site because the workouts are short and sweet and I can easily complete at either end of the day. They have everything from beginner to advanced. I always feel so good when I am done AND taller!

Have a great day everyone, stay warm. It is minus 26 here this morning.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Also need changes

Hey, am new here as well. My goal is to lose 45 lbs, I guess, thats close enough to 50, so I would really love to join and also support team would be perfect!

i am 5.6 and currently 189 lbs, so need to get it down to 144. My plan is- swimming, in spring also running + helthy eating.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

Default :) Thanks for the advice!

Babby thanks for the advice! I have been religiously monitoring my intake, and despite the fact that on paper it should be low enough to make the scale budge, it is protein lite, carb heavy! I'm going to look up some plans that increase my protein, and look up some low glycemic index food! I'll try another two weeks and see what happens!
Old 01-24-2011, 02:00 AM
FitDay Member

Default Bumped my elbow on the way down...

Arghhhhhhhh........ I fell off the wagon this weekend! I was doing so well and then hopped on the scale Sunday morning only to find the weight that I thought I lost last week still showing up on the scale. I know it was probably water as I had been eating some pretty salty stuff the night before, but it was still depressing. So, yesterday was a bad eating day. I indulged in overeating at a buffet style restaurant and then came home to watch movies and eat chocolate chip cookies and corn chips and wash it down with a beer. So bad.

On the upside, at least I worked on the treadmill for a half hour. So, today it is back to getting my healthy eating game on. I am helping my son and daughter-in-law move out of their apartment into their first home, so that should burn some calories right?

Ok, have a good week; I am off to make myself a healthy egg white omelet with veggies for breakfast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.