Notices

No More Jiggling like Jell-o in January

Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Tracy... you're not babbling. You sound exactly like me for motivation and getting back into the swing of things.

Somehow I lost my motivation as well and stopped doing things like swimming and the gym. Over Christmas I decided I would take a break and eat anything I wanted and surprisingly I did and didnt gain any weight ( didnt lose any either) but once New Year came I couldnt seem to get back into the swing of healthy/measured portions again.

In part, I feel like I kind of lost connection here because very few people were around for a couple months ( since Turkey day)...and I was discouraged that I think out of all of us who joined the 30 lbs in 14 weeks thing, maybe 1 or 2 actually did it or came close....

and then the weather got reallllly cold and icy and I do not do well in cold... and so I stopped going out unless I absolutely had to... so no swimming, no workouts, barely walking the dog ( poor Taffy!). And I really dont know how to get my motivation back. The past few days I have kept pretty much within my caloric goal (but not with good choices.) but it just seems now more like a punishment instead of my being excited about it. I know mine seems like excuses too, but I know they arent just as yours arent. I just kinda feel lost.

Harpeg ~ I thought that was a very generous offer to those posters! I just wanted you to know even if no one else replied or commented on it, I thought that was so very thoughtful of you!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and lets all get back on track soon! I miss the reg posters!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Gamegal,

I did reply to harpeg by email. Unfortunately, I sometimes forget to be part of a larger group, but I hope I can become one of the regular posters here.

I am quite opposite to you when it comes to cold, but I deprive my dog for other reasons. She too is overweight, but she thinks she can attack every big dog in the area. I used to pick her up and run, but now I have a hernia along the stitch line of a previous surgery. I can't pick her up ay longer. I've tried a muzzle, but I think I need a blindfold with it.

We are heading into another cold snap. I woke up this morning to iced windows.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

It must be the time of year... Earlier this month, I wasn't feeling so motivated, either. It probably has a lot to do with the anticlimactic nature/feeling of early January - I think that it just permeates into a feeling of "blah." I'm back on track; what I found to be most useful was just to force myself to work out - I can always talk myself out of it if I take enough time to *not* work out as opposed to just spending the 2 minutes it takes to put on workout clothes and start. So, basically, even though for a few days I was pretty much on autopilot and "going through the motions," as it were, just forcing yourself to do it is what counts. It's ok if you're not jumping for joy and it's ok if you *really* don't want to - what counts is that you do it. After a few days, you'll be back at the point where you want to do it - or, at least, are no longer at the point where you immediately think of 3,000 other things you'd rather be doing. At least, that's how it works for me.
I also think this journey of better health/weight loss has lots of ups and downs - sometimes, it just feels like a chore - like what you described as not being excited about it, GameGal. I've been through more than a few of those phases since starting. I think it's natural - but again, even if you have to just go through the motions sans any excitement or motivation, it still counts as making effective and good choices toward self-improvement. Just my 2 cents on the phases of weight loss - I hope that's of some help. Just know you're definitely not alone in what you're feeling.
Ugh, that 30# in 3 months thing - yeah, that so didn't happen for me... I lost 15# in that time, which I'm happy about, but 'failing' that challenge didn't exactly do wonders for my sense of encouragement, to be honest. It took a really long time and a lot of trial and error for me to figure out what the most effective plan for me is - and I sure didn't have it figured out when that challenge started, lol. Now I'm choosing a path of patience as opposed to thinking/expecting 10# in a month, since that typically does not happen for yours truly. It takes time to know your body and what works (and what doesn't) - I'm still learning, and I won't make the mistake of 'forcing it' again.
To Tracey - I think it's awesome that you're restarting, and that you didn't gain back all the weight you lost. I know that may seem like cold comfort, but you're to be commended for restarting. Keep focusing on the positives (i.e., that even if eating biscuits isn't something you're really thrilled that you did, you *did* eat significantly less of them).
Keep on truckin', lovely ladies, and be strong. Know that myself and many others believe in you, even if and especially when you may not.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by rainbow24
Hi Gamegal,

I did reply to harpeg by email. Unfortunately, I sometimes forget to be part of a larger group, but I hope I can become one of the regular posters here.

I am quite opposite to you when it comes to cold, but I deprive my dog for other reasons. She too is overweight, but she thinks she can attack every big dog in the area. I used to pick her up and run, but now I have a hernia along the stitch line of a previous surgery. I can't pick her up ay longer. I've tried a muzzle, but I think I need a blindfold with it.

We are heading into another cold snap. I woke up this morning to iced windows.
Hi rainbow,

I was not accusing you or anyone of ignoring her offer, just letting her know that even if no one answered her publicly, it was an awesome offer.
Welcome to the group! My dog is overweight now also. A lot of it is because I just cant seem to force myself to go out when its freezing, she doesnt get much exercize, and partly because she got a taste of human food and now wont eat until she gets some. And even though I know she wont let herself starve, I get nervous when she doesnt eat and so give in and let her have human food.

Thanks for the kind and encouraging words ChangeIsGood,.. glad to know we have support for the times we arent feeling it ourselves. I know even when I dont post to each and ever post, I sit here and encourage each of you in my heart.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Off topic for Rainbow24, have you ever heard of a Halti or Gentle Leader? They work like a horse lead and give you a lot more control than a harness or collar would. A couple sessions with a professional trainer might really help too. I'm a vet tech by trade, and your dog's problem is pretty common.

I hope you ladies don't mind the intrusion, I don't usually post here but I do read this thread. Y'all are awesome. You keep me motivated
Old 01-09-2011, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

Good evening all
I understand not being in the mood to exercise. I suffer from depression. So did my mother. I am taking an antidepressant and ait does help,but some days I just don't have any energy. I have to get up early in the morning to go to work and I am not a morning person. On the other hand late afternoon sun is the best for depression and I get off in the middle of the afternoon. I can't get out and walk in my area outside this time of year becuase everythiong is ice. My dog does have most of an acre to sun in,but loves to lie in front of the stove when it runs.

I am checking out the pool tomorrow. I am going even if I don't want to. I have made through 3 whole days of work and this is good for me at this time. I am hoping that the pool is not to busy at 2:30 in the afternoon. If it checks out okay ,and is not to crowded or to expensive,I will go swimming on my day off on Wednesday and see how I like it. I have a easy set up pool I put up my yard in the summer,but it has been to cold this last summers to put it up.
I have thought about getting gentle leader for my dog as well. I have seen then in action.They take a lot of stress out takeing your dog walking with you.

Oh one last thing. I did a good thing yesterday. I threw out the cookies in my car instead of eating them all.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:57 AM
FitDay Member

Happy Monday Ladies!

Hope everyone has a great start to the week. Make smart choices and try to get at least 10-20 minutes of activity in each day. Every little bit helps!

Old 01-10-2011, 11:19 PM
FitDay Member

Well I am sorry people are feeling down and unmotivated. I think you need to remember why you are doing this. Maybe look at some old pictures of yourself and that will help. Or buy a new outfit that is a bit small and then you have a goal to work towards.

I am so excited because I am leaving for dominician tomorrow morning! I have no idea what is going on with my weight because I lost weight during christmas even though I ate like a pig and drank like a fish lol. So of course now that my weight seems to be going down I am going on an all inclusive trip lol

Oh well I have told myself I will enjoy myself guilt free and deal with whatever weight gain may happen.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 AM
FitDay Member

Hey ladies,
I've kinda been hiding under a rock with my flu, and then total lack of interest over the past week, but I was back on it yesterday like it was the first day of my healthy life (it sure felt like it!) and I'm swimming again, rather than sinking.
I've got to run to a class but I will read back and catch up with everyone soon!
Much love ladies xxx
Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 AM
FitDay Member

I think lack of motivation is part and parcel for January, I'm suffering with it too. It's the season of new beginnings and resolutions, which are sometimes exhausting. However it's also the time of year when many of us suffer from insufficient vit-D levels, because there is seriously not enough sunshine to go around. I've been trying to combat it with exercise and vitamin supplements, plus a dose of shear old fashioned stubbornness.

I've also found some motivation from an unexpected source, my SIL the skinny vegetarian one (I have 4 SIL's). She's challenged me to a 10K in May. Now I've never in my life run a foot race longer than 100m, and then only because I had to for gym class. But I think I'm going to do this, I even bought some new running shoes and I've been running on the treadmill at the gym for the last month, even though I'm terrified of it. They have actually moved them out away from the wall a couple of feet, so it's safer if I fall. And I do fall, I have a bad knee that every now and then takes a dump and drops me to the ground. Anyway, I've been doing 2 minutes of walking and 3 minutes of running for 30-35 minutes. Next week I'll go to 2 minutes of walking and 4 minutes of running, so forth and so on until I can run 6.2+ miles without stopping. Lately I've been getting to about 3 miles in my 1/2 hour of run/walking, so I'm starting to feel like a 10K is possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.