Notices

low carb anyone?

Old 11-24-2010, 11:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default low carb anyone?

Just starting a low carb diet. Would love to 'buddy' with anyone else who is on the same diet. I am 41 and need to loose 30 lbs. Looking for recipes, ideas, exercise advice or just having someone to yap with and talk about missing croissants...
Old 11-24-2010, 07:12 PM
FitDay Member

Default Yes! Me!

I'm your buddy! I just turned 42 and started with 30 lbs to lose. Currently I have 22 to go, and I know without any doubt that carb addiction is my biggest problem. Really, when I get going on refined carbs I can't stop. I stopped cold turkey on the 15th, and also started watching my calorie intake, and have dropped almost 9 lbs since then. Of course most of it is water, but I am pleased and know I am going in the right direction.

I don't completely cut out carbs, but I stick to whole grains (like in South Beach phase 2) and make sure to balance any carbs with proteins (which is explained, I think, in the insulin resistance diet book....I'll have to check on that one). Fruits don't seem to set me off, so I don't aviod fruit at all.

The good thing is, now that my blood sugar is stabilizing, I have a lot more "will power" (or, a lot less craving due to poor blood chemistry!) and I can have a small slice of cake and not feel like I need to have 2 or 3 more...

Ideas:
Today for breakfast I made an omlet (one egg white, one whole egg) with one slice of ham and one sauteed tomato in it. It was delicious, filling, low-carb, and 200 cal!

What low carb diet are you following?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM
FitDay Member

Hi,

You can count me as a buddy. I just started the Atkins diet, currently starting day 4 of Induction. This may seem like a crazy diet for someone who loves carbs, crusty breads, pasta, etc...however, it seems to be going well. I have had success in the past with Metabolic a Low carb, Low fat, Low Cal, except I have trouble sticking with it for the long term...due to how rigid the diet is, and how limited as well..not to mention the expense of the Protein drinks. Atkins, at least allows me to feel like I am indulging because it allows for fats, which do help to satisfy hunger and cravings. I have 25 lbs to lose. I am 46 and it seems that much harder....

Let me know how you are doing.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hi Buddy!

Originally Posted by lodonnel
Just starting a low carb diet. Would love to 'buddy' with anyone else who is on the same diet. I am 41 and need to loose 30 lbs. Looking for recipes, ideas, exercise advice or just having someone to yap with and talk about missing croissants...
I am 41 too. I want to lose 31-41 lbs by the summer. I am MODY diabetic, and follow a very low carb diet.

I missed the croissants and dessert at Thanksgiving, but did do the green bean casserole. Lol. We pick our battles, right?

So let's start buddying.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
FitDay Member

I'm 53 and loved my bread but have lost 13 lbs on Atkins with no cravings for bread or sugar so far. The best is I love chicken legs, cheese, infact I just love meat this seems to be going very well. I have also limited my caffeine to 1 cup of coffee per day the rest of the time I drink water or herbal beverages. I am also arthritic and have measured the swelling above and below the knee it is coming down 1 inch less than 2 weeks ago, I do not have a gall bladder and no stomache problems at all.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
FitDay Member

Make sure you monitor your cholesterol. Every health eating guide I've ever seen says that a plant-based diet is healthiest and your meat servings should be small.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 AM
FitDay Member

Low carb never is long term for me. I can't spend life without eating carbs so don't get why I should completely cut it
Old 04-06-2012, 09:23 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I have found that "low carb" is my best tool for losing weight, but I can't live that way forever either.

When I lost the first 30lbs is was on a low-er carb regiment. No sugar, refined grains, minimal rice, etc. Whole grains in moderation was fine. Once I lost the weight I reintroduced occasional pasta, crusty breads (often white) and a sweet now and then. After a couple of years of maintaining I proved to myself that I had adopted pretty good standard eating habits by not regaining (well, there are the usual ups and downs - I do have to keep an eye my diet).

In this last phase to lose those tenatous 10lbs. I have been working with a Dr. (who is a shrink by training - intersting combo) who uses a very restrictive carb program - and I gotta say if really works. But in a week or 2 when I reach my goal, I will go back to my carbs in moderation habits.

As many have said before me, it's about portion control, not really "good" and "bad" foods in the long run. But for me, short-term diet restrictions do seem to work.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 PM
FitDay Member

Hello, I'm 24 and today weigh 170lb. I'm not on Atkins but am also trying a low carb diet. So far it's the only diet that's worked and I've lost a stone since Christmas.

As Rubystars pointed out, it is easy to lose track of cholesterol so I've been trying to plan meals so that the main elements are salad, vegetables, chicken and fish and smaller parts are red meat, cheese and eggs. It's really difficult as everything seems to have carbs in but it's really paying off.

I hope that when I reach my goal weight, I can start trying to incorporate foods such as fruit and a small amount of wholegrains and have a balanced diet but still be able to keep my weight in check.

In the meantime though I need to lose about 37lb in about 14 weeks (in time for my wedding dress fitting). It would have been 34lb, but I had a bit of a slip up and put on 3lb over Easter.