Notices

Worst day ever.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:48 AM
FitDay Member

Default Worst day ever.

Ok... So, I recently joined and assumed that my weight was the same as it was about two months ago, which was around 210. That number was depressing enough to me... I went shopping today for sheets at Bed bath and beyond and made the mistake of weighing myself to see if I had made any progress. Turns out I'm 230. I've been crying for hours and just want to give up. I don't know what to do and will take any and all suggestions. Also, has anyone else had an experience like this??
Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carrietc89
Ok... So, I recently joined and assumed that my weight was the same as it was about two months ago, which was around 210. That number was depressing enough to me... I went shopping today for sheets at Bed bath and beyond and made the mistake of weighing myself to see if I had made any progress. Turns out I'm 230. I've been crying for hours and just want to give up. I don't know what to do and will take any and all suggestions. Also, has anyone else had an experience like this??

Sorry u had to go through that.....i know the feeling because i didnt have a scale at home for a while and when i went to the doctor around June i cudnt believe i had gained so much...it depressed me lot too and i gave up and gained alot more! I have been giving up for years..and keep gaining!! So please, please dont give up, just continue...i felt like whats the purpose i keep trying but all i do is gain. Since then i started using my sister's scale and i got so depressed 3 weeks ago because of what i saw that i almost started a starvation diet but good sense prevailed and i started hunting around the internet until i found this site. I was scared to weigh myself again but did so on tuesday and realise i read the scale wrong the last time...lol......i cant believe i did that.
Just stay motivated and dont give up because if u do, u will only gain more and more pounds and when u are ready to start again u will want to kick yourself for giving up at a smaller weight. Be strong ok..... There are many persons i see on this site that lost a lot in a year and i keep saying to myself that if i had only found this site last year then maybe i would be much smaller....now i am looking to next year...aim for a goal, even if u fall, get up, we cant let this weight get the best of us forever..... just take it one day at a time.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:51 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Carrie, I'm going to start off my saying that I don't think you made a mistake by weighing yourself; it sounds like it was just the wake-up call you needed, even though I know very much firsthand how painful that is. I'll tell you a bit about me and my own wake-up call, and what has worked for me. If you could do without the story, look to the bottom of this to see how I started and the 'how' of what is working for me.
The day before I got married in April of 2009, I weighed myself (now THAT was a mistake, lol!) and was shocked to see that I was 225 - the last time I had weighed myself before that day I was around 180. I cried, but obviously carried on and got married the next day. That summer, my husband and I moved far away from home, and we spent the next year eating horribly and drinking a lot of beer. Well, suffice to say that I got fatter.
In May of this year, I had had enough of hating myself and feeling beyond uncomfortable in my own skin and decided to change my ways. I did not weigh myself for 3 months, because I knew I was well over 225 at that point and did not have the emotional wherewithal to deal with seeing that number (whatever it was) on a scale. So, I had my husband take measurements of me every week instead of stepping on a scale. I finally got on a scale in August and saw that I was at 230 - hence my guess that I was most likely at 250 when I started.
There was a point about 2 months ago where I did have a moment where I was SO angry with myself that I just cried for a little while and kept asking myself how the hell I let this happen. I think those moments are cathartic, and necessary, but you've got to move on from then.
You can't go back in time and keep yourself from gaining the weight you want to lose. But what you CAN do is change your lifestyle and your behavior to lose that weight. Remember that this is going to take time. There will be lots of ups and downs, and it will not be easy, but it WILL be worth it. Remember that you are worth every second that you spend making better decisions for yourself.
If you feel like giving up, remember this - the ONLY way you will fail at this is if you give up. You may lose fast, you may lose slow, but you WILL succeed if you are committed, diligent, and consistent.
My husband and I started small - when we had ice cream, we shared a pint instead of each getting our own. Eventually, that changed into getting frozen yogurt and being careful about the portion size. A lot of what I did in the beginning was just paying attention to what I was eating, and measuring my portions. I have a pretty good eye when it comes to figuring out portions and calories (the only relatively good thing that came out of an eating disorder I had as a teenager), but I still measure my food. You can absolutely eat things you like - I bet there are plenty of 'healthy' foods that you like - it just may take more of an effort to prepare them. This effort is worth it! I've become a much better cook since I decided to stop eating so much crap, lol.
In short, for someone just starting out, I'd recommend to log all your food and measure carefully (this is something I still do, as I said above) and identify areas where you can improve. Educate yourself online, and ask questions! Try to find some exercise that you enjoy. I also started small on this - I would aim for exercising 2-3 days a week; now I'm up to 5-6.
Phew, I apologize for the long post; I hope at least some of that was helpful to you. There are so many wise and supportive people here; be sure to reach out (like you just did) when you need to. I'm in the 100+ club and invite you to join us, regardless of your total weight loss goal. Our current thread title is "No Stopping Us in November."
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

I guess you're right that this is the wake up call that I needed. I knew I was getting bigger and kept doing random fad diets but they didn't work, I didn't stick to them... I really want to commit to changing my lifestyle, not going on a diet. I just feel so pissed at myself for doing this in the first place. I've never been thin and I lost 40 pounds when I was 16 and kept it off for four years... then I lost and gained another 15 when I turned 20. Over the past year though, I moved in with my boyfriend and I guess I just adapted to his eating habits and almost tried to match what he ate. I'm just ashamed of myself for letting it go this far.... It's painful. Thanks to both of you for your support.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM
FitDay Member

Turning that negative energy and self-hate around takes time, and, for me, it's something I'll always have to work on. Some days are better than others, just like everything else in life. I think it gets easier over time with consistent effort. When you start to beat yourself up, try to remind yourself of what you're doing about it - I know it sounds corny, but to break it down in simple terms, something like this: "Self, I really suck and am so fat and gross, I can't believe I did this to myself, and >>>> STOP <<<< Self, I really am not happy with where I'm at, which is why I'm (enter positive action, like "not eating crap all the time anymore")." I'm being a bit silly what with the "self" bit, but you get the picture. It's mind over matter - you can definitely do it.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

My wake up call was about a year ago, trying unsuccessfully to find just ONE outfit I looked good in. In that 3 way dressing room mirror, in my undies under the harsh flourescent light it was impossible to deny, no matter what I wore, I was going to look fat in it because I WAS fat. That was about one year and nearly 40 lbs ago. Due to health problems and other issues/stresses in my life, I'm having trouble with the last 10 lbs, BUT I have maintained what I've lost, and if I hadn't gotten serious last year, I would probably be pushing 200 by now.

I don't like the word "diet". Sooner or later you will go off that "diet" and when you go back to eating what you did before, you'll go back to weighing what you did before. Looking at it as changing your lifestyle is a better, more permanent attitude to have. And it doesn't have to be perfect, just better. Change small things one at a time. When you adjust, change a few more things. Learn whether you're the type (like me) who will eventually go on a junk food binge if you deny yourself treat foods, or if you're the type that one bite leads to another and another and another. Buy a food scale and weigh everything, you'll probably be surprised at how large the "average' serving has become. Plus if you weigh everything now, down the line you'll be able to eyeball your portions a lot more accurately when you're not at home. Log every bite, be honest with it. You're only cheating yourself if you fudge the log. Take a picture and take measurements, I know today that's going to be very hard to do and emotionally traumatic, but believe me down the line, when you don't think it's going fast enough or well enough, you'll be better able to objectively look at where you started and how far you've come. We don't notice the little day to day changes, so it's important to have hard data to make your progress feel more real.

This time next year, someone new will post and you'll be replying with your "one year ago, I was..." story. Life's a work in progress and always will be, it doesn't have to be perfect. Just better.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:19 PM
FitDay Member

Carrie,

You called your post "worst day ever". Good title... it suggests it is a temporary point in time. Brush yourself off and keep going...you can do it...we all can. Buy yourself a scale and keep above it...don't obsess, just read your body's signs...bloat, stop eating a the 1st sign of feeling full etc. (I am currently working on that too!)

Hang in there girl!
Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 AM
FitDay Member

My wake up call came the day I stepped on the scale and was within spitting distance of what I weighed 9 months pregnant with each of our daughters, only I wasn't pregnant . I had another slap up side the head on Christmas morning, we were all playing the new Wii Fit Plus from Santa, and I stepped on the balance board and that nasty thing said "dunk dunk dunk, that's OBESE", and added love handles to my mini-Mii, right in front of my whole family. Nice eh? That's when I started getting serious. Shortly after that we went to a funeral, for a man that died from health problems that were probably made worse by his obesity. And I sat there and realized that his children were years younger than me, and that just solidified that I was going to do everything in my power to prevent that from happening to my children.

Believe me we've all had these moments, the good news is that you can have lots of great moments as the scale moves downward.

Lizzy is right you have to make little steps, just take it one day at a time. Analyze your diet and look for areas to improve. For example every morning I used to drink 2 large cups of coffee, with creamer and chocolate syrup. I think the creamer was about 70 calories and the chocolate syrup about 80, so 150 calories per cup, times 2, so 300 calories just for my coffee . I still drink 2 large cups of coffee, but instead of creamer I use 1/4 cup almond milk at 15 calories and 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder at 65 calories, so 80 calories/cup, times 2, 160 calories plus I get about 20 or so grams of protein with it.

You can do this, just take it one step at a time and no matter how bad it gets, never give up on yourself.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carrietc89
Ahhh taht too bad, I have the same problem I just found out that the scales I have been useing might not be accurate. I get on one morning and I have lost 1 pound but then the next morning I have gained 3 etc. It is frustrating but none the less we both still need to lose right so lets just forcus on that and make it our priority. Stressing out about 20 pounds might just lead to worse by eatting for emotional reasons.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
My wake up call came the day I stepped on the scale and was within spitting distance of what I weighed 9 months pregnant with each of our daughters, only I wasn't pregnant . I had another slap up side the head on Christmas morning, we were all playing the new Wii Fit Plus from Santa, and I stepped on the balance board and that nasty thing said "dunk dunk dunk, that's OBESE", and added love handles to my mini-Mii, right in front of my whole family. Nice eh? That's when I started getting serious. Shortly after that we went to a funeral, for a man that died from health problems that were probably made worse by his obesity. And I sat there and realized that his children were years younger than me, and that just solidified that I was going to do everything in my power to prevent that from happening to my children.

Believe me we've all had these moments, the good news is that you can have lots of great moments as the scale moves downward.

Lizzy is right you have to make little steps, just take it one day at a time. Analyze your diet and look for areas to improve. For example every morning I used to drink 2 large cups of coffee, with creamer and chocolate syrup. I think the creamer was about 70 calories and the chocolate syrup about 80, so 150 calories per cup, times 2, so 300 calories just for my coffee . I still drink 2 large cups of coffee, but instead of creamer I use 1/4 cup almond milk at 15 calories and 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder at 65 calories, so 80 calories/cup, times 2, 160 calories plus I get about 20 or so grams of protein with it.

You can do this, just take it one step at a time and no matter how bad it gets, never give up on yourself.
My wake up call was when I was my highest 253 I realized that I weight almost the same as my dad who is over 6 feet and 265! I was devestated. That is why I am trying so hard to get down but it doesnt seem to want to come off at all now again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.