Notices

Over 50!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default Over 50!

Health wise, getting older presents a new set of challenges and risks, and for women over 50 it's so easy to gain weight without much effort (metabolism slowing down, etc).

I've gained 50# in just three years, not only because I'm in that age range, but I just got plain lazy. And it finally hit me (duh!!!!) that if I want to live a long, healthy life I better start taking care of my body.

It's hard, though. Harder now to lose weight than even five years ago, so I created this thread as means of support for those of us getting older. Tips for making it easier as well as motivation to keep on this journey are welcome.

What do YOU do to make it easier?
For me, it's cutting calories, walking daily and using free weights 3x a week.

10/11/10 Start weight 196
11/9/10 Current weight 191
Goal weight 145
Old 11-09-2010, 05:40 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Smile I hear ya

I'm finishing up my 50th year next April. The whole hypothyroidism and peri-menopausal combo has presented me with umpteenth challenges. If I'm very meticulous on food and moderate exercise, I can drop maybe 1lb a week. However, if I stop paying attention, I can gain it exponentially. No problems on the gaining side...

I am doing what you are and trying to stay active and watch my nutrition. The most challenging thing is not just total calories. For me, it is making sure I'm getting the right nutrients in the total. For example, using today as an example, I've logged my food and eating clean only to see that I'm 50% short on my Vitamin A for the day. I really need to learn about combining different Freggies to make the total calories balanced for total nutrition.

I've gained about 20lbs this year {added to other years} so I've slowed down. The knees are hurting. I'm starting back into exercise this week with low impact aerobics and free weight training. I remember a few years back how good I felt with 40lbs gone. I want that feeling back.

All that said, I'm somewhat new to posting on these forums. I've been a member for awhile but didn't post much. Everyone seems very supportive. It's nice.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for your post.

Yeah, I have to keep tabs on meeting my nutritional needs.
Keep track of foods here is great and it's making me aware of just how many carbs I eat. That's something I definitely need to modify.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:28 AM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm new here and saw your post. I am 49 and just started on fitday. I weigh 212, and my goal weight is 145.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome Justme!
I've used Fitday in the past, lost about 30#, left and gained back 50#. Tracking everything (food and exercise) seems to be what works for me.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
FitDay Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by ginasj55
Health wise, getting older presents a new set of challenges and risks, and for women over 50 it's so easy to gain weight without much effort (metabolism slowing down, etc).

I've gained 50# in just three years, not only because I'm in that age range, but I just got plain lazy. And it finally hit me (duh!!!!) that if I want to live a long, healthy life I better start taking care of my body.

It's hard, though. Harder now to lose weight than even five years ago, so I created this thread as means of support for those of us getting older. Tips for making it easier as well as motivation to keep on this journey are welcome.

What do YOU do to make it easier?
For me, it's cutting calories, walking daily and using free weights 3x a week.

10/11/10 Start weight 196
11/9/10 Current weight 191
Goal weight 145
Originally Posted by blkane
I'm finishing up my 50th year next April. The whole hypothyroidism and peri-menopausal combo has presented me with umpteenth challenges. If I'm very meticulous on food and moderate exercise, I can drop maybe 1lb a week. However, if I stop paying attention, I can gain it exponentially. No problems on the gaining side...

I am doing what you are and trying to stay active and watch my nutrition. The most challenging thing is not just total calories. For me, it is making sure I'm getting the right nutrients in the total. For example, using today as an example, I've logged my food and eating clean only to see that I'm 50% short on my Vitamin A for the day. I really need to learn about combining different Freggies to make the total calories balanced for total nutrition.

I've gained about 20lbs this year {added to other years} so I've slowed down. The knees are hurting. I'm starting back into exercise this week with low impact aerobics and free weight training. I remember a few years back how good I felt with 40lbs gone. I want that feeling back.

All that said, I'm somewhat new to posting on these forums. I've been a member for awhile but didn't post much. Everyone seems very supportive. It's nice.
Thanks for your post.

Yeah, I have to keep tabs on meeting my nutritional needs.
Keep track of foods here is great and it's making me aware of just how many carbs I eat. That's something I definitely need to modify.
Originally Posted by justmejust
Hi, I'm new here and saw your post. I am 49 and just started on fitday. I weigh 212, and my goal weight is 145.

Welcome Justme!
I've used Fitday in the past, lost about 30#, left and gained back 50#. Tracking everything (food and exercise) seems to be what works for me.
Glad to hear I am not the only one having problems and getting older. DG
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM
FitDay Member

You're only as old as you feel! I'm 65, grandmother of 7, and am working hard right now to keep in shape. I lost 15 pounds in the last year and got my BMI down into normal range: 24.6. However, I have started to gain some of it back, so it's back to basics time for me.

1. Log in what I eat and look at it critically--where could I have cut fat, how can I up the vitamin A and pantothenic acid, and uh oh! watch the calorie creep.

2. Be more vigilant about getting enough exercise. Here, there's an additional motivator: if I don't do the minimum amount of stretches or yoga and walking, my back hurts so much it's hard to stand up.

3. Remind myself that the MD said if I lost some weight, I could probably get rid of some of my daily pills. Getting my blood pressure and blood sugar into normal range is a powerful motivater!

I have a clipping I cut out of a magazine posted in a prominent place: To be ready for old age, you need to start becoming strong now. Getting in shape is like putting money away for retirement.
(Wish I could remember where I found that!)
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM
FitDay Member

I think of every workout as "money in the bank." I'm 65, at my ideal weight for 20 years since I got off the diet train. I eat real (quality) food when I'm hungry, until I'm completely satisfied, and I no longer crave junk or obsess about diets. Such a relief after years of dieting and weight swings of 40 pounds, overexercising, starving myself, waking up hungry and night-eating, and all that. I am also hypothyroid. I don't do low carb, high protein, low fat, prepackaged food, shots, pills, drinks, exercising 20 hours a week, none of those things any more. I learned my lesson in my younger days, thank goodness.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:00 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by yehudit45
You're only as old as you feel! I'm 65, grandmother of 7, and am working hard right now to keep in shape. I lost 15 pounds in the last year and got my BMI down into normal range: 24.6. However, I have started to gain some of it back, so it's back to basics time for me.

1. Log in what I eat and look at it critically--where could I have cut fat, how can I up the vitamin A and pantothenic acid, and uh oh! watch the calorie creep.

2. Be more vigilant about getting enough exercise. Here, there's an additional motivator: if I don't do the minimum amount of stretches or yoga and walking, my back hurts so much it's hard to stand up.

3. Remind myself that the MD said if I lost some weight, I could probably get rid of some of my daily pills. Getting my blood pressure and blood sugar into normal range is a powerful motivater!
It's funny....I feel good, don't have issues with sugar or blood pressure or bad cholesterol...but I've put on 50# in 3 years!

I'm exercising and watching my calories and what makes up those calories but I'm still having a hard time losing! I lost an initial 5# and not an ounce since I started over a month ago.
Hoping this is a plateau and I'll see a drop here soon.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:54 PM
FitDay Member

Wink Another Oldster

Hey Ginasj55, I've been using fitday for about 5 months now and it has been very helpful. It seemed pretty easy to get where i was at over 280 pounds. It has been quite a struggle to wrestle my hunger to the ground and try to learn to eat like a normal person. Like you I realized that at 54 my life was nowhere near over and I just wanted to feel better. I started by saying it wasn't about losing weight,but as the lbs have come off...39 of them so far...I find that I enjoy weighing less. Anyway heres to us!!Now if I could just get as commited to exercising as I am about logging....oops wink wink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.