Notices

What do you think!?!?!

Old 11-05-2010, 04:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default What do you think!?!?!

Here's the low down...
I will be getting married in a little less than a year, and I am seriously overweight. I've struggled with it for a long time, and just recently decided to be serious about weight loss. I've lost 8 pounds in the past two weeks, (gained one back cause I'm gonna get my period...) which has gotten me "into the groove". But I need some help. Tips!!!...what have you done?
Honestly, if I reach my goal (which is attainable), I need to lose 70 pounds (in addition to what I just lost).
So...70 pounds in about ten months. What to do?
How do you think I should approach this?
I have a gym membership, and haven't gone in a while, but I plan on making it a regular thing again 5 times a week (and yoga every day). In addition to eating more strict (basically vegan) and having much smaller portions and drinking only water as liquids. Do you think if I follow that criteria, I will lose 70 pounds in ten months? (not to mention I've been eating a huge bowl of MOTIVATION for breakfast)
Tell me what you think!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:57 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by thin_thin
Here's the low down...
I will be getting married in a little less than a year, and I am seriously overweight. I've struggled with it for a long time, and just recently decided to be serious about weight loss. I've lost 8 pounds in the past two weeks, (gained one back cause I'm gonna get my period...) which has gotten me "into the groove". But I need some help. Tips!!!...what have you done?
Honestly, if I reach my goal (which is attainable), I need to lose 70 pounds (in addition to what I just lost).
So...70 pounds in about ten months. What to do?
How do you think I should approach this?
I have a gym membership, and haven't gone in a while, but I plan on making it a regular thing again 5 times a week (and yoga every day). In addition to eating more strict (basically vegan) and having much smaller portions and drinking only water as liquids. Do you think if I follow that criteria, I will lose 70 pounds in ten months? (not to mention I've been eating a huge bowl of MOTIVATION for breakfast)
Tell me what you think!
I truely believe it is attainable. I don't know about your constitution, but what has helped me a lot in spring was doing a whole body work out for a while, tu build up some muscles, because muscles are active even when you are sleeping, so they raise your metabolism. In addition, if you decide to stay vegan, you need to make sure you get enough protein; I also have months when I stick to a vegan diet, when I get my protein mostly from soy products. Let me know if you want me to recommend any.

So, I would suggest whole body work out twice a week (it usually takes at least one hour, you will find suggestions on caloriecount on how to begin), cardio ar least 3x30min per week, walk a lot, do all the things that you enjoy. If you are an emotional eater, like me, you definitely need to make a huge list with all the non-eating activities that you enjoy and make you feel better, because motivation is the easiest thing to lose. Plan you menu for the next day in advance and stick to it religiously. Don't be over drastic with yourself. I don't believe in forbidden foods. If you tend to overeat on sweets, you need to check their glycemic index and switch to those with lower GI; increasing your protein intake will also help a lot in getting rid of this addiction forever, but you need to be patient!

Watch "Lying to be perfect - Cinderella pact" every once in a while. It'll help you stay on track. To not over dramatize if one day or one week will be extremely messy, the plan is still not corrupted, you just need to take a deep breath and return to it. If you need a buddy, I'm around. It would also be awesome if you had a friend with about the same plan and expectations as you, but if you can't find any, I'm sure there are plenty on this forum!

Lots of luck!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:54 AM
FitDay Member

I also think it is doable. That equals 7 lbs a month in weight loss. Very healthy goal! My suggestions are 1) give yourself a little wiggle room on your diet. If you need a sweet treat give it to yourself but in a small portion. 2) try journaling. Helps deal with frustrations and planning. 3) reward yourself with non-food items. New shoes, movie or workout clothes every 10 lbs or so. Will help keep you motivated. 4) keep us posted on your progress. We care!

Good luck and congrats!
Old 11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
FitDay Member

It's totally doable, but getting married is as stressful as it is exciting, so don't stretch yourself too thin! (no pun intended ) Find non-food related ways to relax and de-stress. Try to think of the gym as your "you" time, and not a chore. And I say this to everyone: find a healthy lifestyle you can live with forever, not a diet to fit into a dress. It's not about punishing yourself to be perfect for your wedding day, it's about taking care of yourself because you are worth it.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

It's totally doable, I'm living proof of that. Everybody is different so you have to find what works best for you, but here's a rundown I what has been working for me.

1 hour cardio pretty much daily (4-6 times weekly)
2 servings grain based carbs (limited to 200-250 calories max) per day
3 servings of fruit per day
4-7 servings of low-fat, low-cal proteins per day
8 glasses of water + another 8 oz for every 10lbs you want to lose. 64+56 = 120oz/day to start for you.
9-10 servings of vegetables daily (fresh or fresh frozen)

On top of all that I try and keep carbs at less than 50% of my intake, proteins near 40%, no caffeine after 1:00pm, and no eating after 7:00pm.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 AM
FitDay Member

hehe i just hope he will really marry you when you become slim. He knows you now and loves you with your 70lb that you want to lose
Old 11-17-2010, 12:18 PM
FitDay Member

I weigh less now than I did when I met my DH. Before starting this I never bothered to ask him if he was in to skinny chicks. But let me just say this, his appreciation of the new me is well communicated, although not so much in words as in um, actions... Or would that be considered a reaction?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

You really eat 9-10 veggies a day?! That sounds like a part time job! I really struggle with getting enough veggies and fruits. What's your secret? (I'm a picky eater!)

And good luck losing weight before your wedding! Just remember not to stress out about it too much - you have plenty of other things to stress over...he loves you the way you are! That said, getting healthy is always a good thing and your goal sounds doable to me. I wanted to lose weight before my wedding and it didn't happen (of course, we moved the wedding up 6 months because we were moving)...and I still wouldn't change anything about the day. =)