Notices

Plateaud...NOT HAPPY!

Old 01-22-2010, 01:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default Plateaud...NOT HAPPY!

So I've officially hit the bump in the road I've been doing very well recently. I was put on some medication to help me lose weight and I've lost 35 pounds in about 10 weeks. I'm very excited and happy about those 35 pounds, however I've come upon the dreaded plateau. I have lost anything in about a month. It's getting to the point where, I'm getting frustrated and cranky. I'm trying to look on the bright side and trying to see the goal line, however, I still have a good chunk of weight that I would like to lose. I was not ready for this to happen so early! Anytime I've wanted to lose weight, I've turned to higher protein, lower carb, and it has worked wonderfully. Until now. My diet has consisted of 50% protein, 25% fat and about 25% carb on most days. My scale will not move!! It only knows 2 numbers!!!!

Does anyone has any suggestions??

I'm 27, female, fairly good health other than I'm overweight. I've been working out 5 times a week with between 20-30 minutes or cardio and 20 minutes of strength training.

I'm at my wits end and I don't want to give up but I'm getting sooooo frustrated here!

Thank you!

Alyssa
Old 01-24-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hey now....

No more of this 'giving up' nonsense, Alyssa.

You listen to Auntie Kimmy, now. Don't make me come kick your butt.

Plateaus are natural. Our bodies adapt to what we ask them to and that's just what yours has done.

Plus, when you weighed more, your body required more calories to maintain itself. Unfortunately, smaller people need fewer calories to do the same tasks that larger folks do. (Sucks, but it's true.)

Your body will respond to shaking things up a bit. Increasing the time or intensity (or both) of your cardio sessions may get you out of your rut.

Likewise with your strength training. There are lots of training methods to mix things up. Try one of these:
  • Going a bit heavier and reducing your reps
  • adding a second (or third) set
  • trying acsending or descending sets
  • changing the exercises you're doing for each body part
  • splitting your routine
... there are lots of things you can do!

Talk to me. What exercises are you doing? Dumbbells, resistance bands or machines? How heavy? How many reps and sets?

Fret not, my dear. I'm sure we can think of something that'll help!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:54 AM
FitDay Member

Kimmy is right. Don't give up! But I agree, it is time to change what you are doing. It may be time to reduce your calories a little bit, or find some different foods and change out some of your usual fare. And altering your workout would be a good idea as well. No doubt the muscles you have been using are really strong now, and have become accustom to what you are doing, so you need to find some new moves to challenge your body again.

You can do it!
Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
FitDay Member

Default Oooh! Oooh!

After some thought, I had another idea.

If you were on medication to aid with weightloss, I'm thinking you have health insurance and that a doctor prescribed it. Could you call him and tell him you'd like to meet with a Registered Dietician, so he could make a referral and your insurance will pay?

You can find a Registered Dietician (a professional, licensed nutritionist) at http://www.eatright.org/Public/. They also give information about the benefits to working with an RD.

This is a person who will work closely with you to analyze what you've been doing and make sound suggestions. They teach sustainable lifestyle changes, including exercise and daily activity, not just food. This is what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

Cutting calories further each time you hit a plateau may not be reasonable or sustainable. You need something you can stick with over time.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:14 AM
FitDay Member

Hey ladies! I've thought about doing the dietician thing, but I live in a very rural area and there isn't one around that I've been able to find.
I'm not thinking cutting calories is going to be a good idea, I thought for awhile that not eating enough was my problem so I increased from 1200 ( or less, I know not good but I wasn't hungry) to around 1500. Eating small meals about every 2 hours.
I actually took a week off my medication (phentermine, prescribed by my md) and I'm going to see if that may jump start something again for me.
As far as exercise goes, I usually do my cardio and then end with my strength training. I have one of those resistance bands that I've been using for that. My cardio is always different though. I have about 4 dvd's that I alternate, and I also watch the Fit channel on my satellite but it's always different things.
On the BRIGHT side (yay there is one!) I took measurements last week and again this week, and I've lost 4 inches. So could be I'm gaining muscle mass and losing fat. Either way, I'm not giving up!! I refuse!!! I know I'm just being too hard on myself and eventually this will break. It just might take ETERNITY!! lol

Thanks a bunch you two...I'm definitely feeling better!!!

Alyssa
Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM
FitDay Member

I agree with Alyssa,

I joined fitday back in december and at first was focusing only on my caloric intake and lost about 7-10 lbs. Then the holidays came around and I got out of the habit of entering my calories everyday, thankfully there was no weight gain but I also hadn't gone down any more. When I started my regular routine back in january I decided to add a physical component to my regimen as well as being very strict with my caloric intake. I've been doing Billy Blank's Tae Bo now going on the 2nd week, I try to do it 3 times a week and it's a really good workout which should be burning about 500 cals for the 45 mins that it takes. But I'm so totally bummed out since I've been sticking to a daily calorie total of about 1000 and have not dropped a single pound. I'm currently at 180 and am just craving that moment when I get on the scale and it shows 179. However, in terms of measurements I've lost 2 inches in my waist and 1 in my hips these last two weeks. People are also starting to notice that I look toner and leaner, especially in the mid-section and thighs.

I was just wondering if any of you guys think this "plateau" is actually due to the fact that I'm probably gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so I'm technically not losing the weight but still seing a difference in my build?

Also, any advice or encouragement would be awesome cause I'm getting so fed up!
Old 02-03-2010, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

Default YES! You're still making progress.

Originally Posted by LuvyH
I'm currently at 180 and am just craving that moment when I get on the scale and it shows 179. However, in terms of measurements I've lost 2 inches in my waist and 1 in my hips these last two weeks. People are also starting to notice that I look toner and leaner, especially in the mid-section and thighs.

I was just wondering if any of you guys think this "plateau" is actually due to the fact that I'm probably gaining muscle, which weighs more than fat, so I'm technically not losing the weight but still seing a difference in my build?
Your body is getting smaller. That's really one of the reasons you want to lose weight, right? That's why I'm a strong believer in measuring progress in a variety of ways - and NOT just the number on the scale.

Losing inches is a great indication that you're right on track. The number on the scale will start decreasing again soon. That muscle you're adding requires more calories at rest than the fat you've shed.

You're making yourself into a lean machine, baby! Keep it up!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction even if the scale doesn't show it!

Technically, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same...a pound. But a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat and that is probably what you're seeing. Those inches lost are awesome! Besides, who knows what you weigh (besides you, no one) and who sees how you look (everyone)!

For example, I was really miffed when I got on the scale this morning and had gained half a pound...after a quarter of a pound yesterday. I have been diligent about what goes into my mouth and exercising daily. But I have a scale that measures body fat and a whole new lower number popped up after it displayed my weight. My body fat is two percentage points lower than it was a week ago. So I have to remind myself that it is not about having the lowest number on the scale; it's really about getting healthy...and more muscle and less fat equals healthy.

Keep it up and it will all fall into place!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

I was definitely shocked when I saw how many inches I had lost despite the scale not moving. I found it VERY reassuring!!

It's good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this! This week I think I may have broken it. I've lost something everyday this week (yeah I know..not supposed to weigh everyday...but it keeps me on track I think) so I'm down about 3 pounds since Sunday. I'm sure it's water weight, but hey, I'll take it!!

Alyssa
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
FitDay Member

Alyssa- I also take phentermine! I only have 14 lbs to get to my goal weight, but my doctor gave it to me for energy more or less. I was finding it hard to get motivated to do anything. I still don't work out. I just started trying to loose weight again, but I've been on the pills on and off since summer. Phentermine gives me a clenched jaw all the time. Does that happen to you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.