Notices

Plateaud...NOT HAPPY!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 AM
FitDay Member

I have the clenched jaw thing ALL THE TIME! It's so bad my neck muscles hurt sometimes lol. I try to catch myself doing it and then stop but it's hard. I notice it mostly in the mornings, a few hours after I take it. I thought I was the only one having that problem with it, good to know I'm not alone there!! lol

Alyssa
Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 AM
FitDay Member

Dear Mirage59,

I am a RD and glad to see you're using FitDay. My husband discovered it a year ago. I tried Weight Watchers this past spring but was frustrated by the amount of work (the same as FitDay) with much less information. It's nice to see how your calorie balance is at the end of the day.

I use to recommend to patients to avoid weighing every day, but after going to an adult weight loss certification class I totally changed my mind and bought a good scale. Now I weigh very regularly. We studied research that followed successful weight loss stories that were 5yrs+, after all isn't that the purpose of weight loss? Too many diets tout great success stories, but they are usually only 1yr successes. Visit them 2-5yrs later and they've gained the weight plus. Here are the common thread these success stories shared:
1. weight daily so there are no surprises.
2. stay with low fat diet.
3. exercise 60-90 minutes cardio 6/week.

So these are people that have changed their life style. I would look at your diet, and that means YOUR personal diet and make changes here and there to lower the fat or lower the quantity. The typical diet plan people view as only temporary. "I'll just stick with the plan until I loose the weight I want and then I can go back to my old ways...." I've heard so many people say, "Just give me a diet and I can follow it...", but they're are usually so restrictive the person that handle misery only so long.

I would also recommend a food diary. So much of weight loss is psychological. I'd say it's 80% of the process. Keep a diary, or use the FitDay journal to log how you felt before and after "falling off the wagon". Also log what you were doing. Learn about yourself and how you think.

Keep it up girl. I'm soooooo proud of you! Remember every day is a new day. The past is the past. Look forward!
"K"
Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

Default clench jaws

Oh I forgot to share my story about clench jaws, migraines and grinding.

I went to a chiropractor school (I was a poor college student getting my nutrition degree). My student was wonderful and told me the problem was my posture. He said I could adjust you, but that would only be treating the symptom. Maybe you could get a referral to see a physcial therapist and see if you're problem is related to posture. It helped immensley for me, but....

I also had issues from a bad childhood. Continuing my counseling has helped too.

So now I almost always stand up straight, haven't had a migraine in years and feel much better. I also got a night guard which I should have gotten years ago. But that's the past and I'm protecting my teeth now for the future.

Hope this helps.
"K"
Old 02-05-2010, 03:11 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Thanks for all your info, K. It is great to have a RD on board. Wow, 60 - 90 minutes of cardio 6 days a week! I try to get 60 (sometimes break it up into 1/2 hour sessions, afternoon and evening), but it's a lot. Do you have any thoughts as to a recommended exercise level to maintain weight (as opposed to weight loss)?

I would also like to echo your positive thoughts on a chiropractor and counseling. I see a chiro regularly and it does help you stay well and strong. As for the counseling, well, I'm a psychologist, so...'nuff said! Professional bias and all that. It is all part of taking care of your whole self and I am glad you brought it up!

Everyone on here is worth it, and deserves a huge pat on the back for making the effort! Keep it up!
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 PM
FitDay Member

Alyssa, That's it..I'm giving up the pills. It's not worth it! I didn't take it today and I still feel the effects with my jaw. My body is so used to it now that I don't even feel the energy effects so why take it? You are certainly not alone sister! I was on 30 mg, you?
Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

Scndtonun,

I'm on 37.5mg. I still feel the effects though. I went off for about a week, and I thought I was going to fall asleep everywhere I went. I couldn't get up to work out, could barely stay awake in my classes..it was bad. I know you're not supposed to go off cold turkey though so that may be why I had such a problem when I did go off. As soon as I started them again I could tell a difference.
Have you tried to split them in half and take half in the am and half in the pm? But if you're not feeling it, then I don't blame you. Why put yourself through the misery!!

Alyssa
Old 02-08-2010, 06:07 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks K!

I feel really good about how well I've done. I have been using the food journal on fitday and its nice to see the breakdown and all the graphs they have. It definitely keeps me motivated. I've heard weighing daily is "the worst thing you can do" blah blah blah lol. I find it keeps me motivated. When I see the scale go up a little, I don't freak out over it. It just makes me think about what I did or didn't do correctly in the previous days, and then refocus.

Thanks for your encouragement! I'm really excited to have an RD on here! Don't go anywhere!

Alyssa
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
FitDay Member

Default daily weighing

Hi Alyssa,
Daily weighing is only bad if the fluctuations ruin your whole day. Or if you start obsessing and weighing several times per day. (Take it from someone who has gone off the deep end in the past.)

If you're using the number on the scale to determine whether you'll have a good day - or whether you'll punish yourself for an uptick - then it's time to step back a bit from it and look at the bigger picture.

If you can be objective about it, weighing every day is a good way to remind you to stay the course.
Cheers!
K
Old 02-09-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

I weigh myself daily but I only log it once a week. I weigh myself first thing in the morning, buck nekkid as I'm going into the shower, I figure that's when I'm going to weigh the least for the day lol. I've been thinking about getting one of those scales that measures body fat, how well do those work?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:16 AM
FitDay Member

Lizzy,
LOL I do weigh myself just like that too. I turn the shower on, use the bathroom, and then hop on the scale! It's the only time I weigh myself ever!
I work at a medical supply store, and the fat monitors do really work. I would just make sure you get a good one, I'm not sure how well the cheaper ones work. Let me know if you need any suggestions on one. I've been thinking about getting one for myself too.
Alyssa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.