Notices

Plateau... Ughh!

Old 10-22-2010, 05:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default Plateau... Ughh!

I have been working my but off for the past seven months, and this last 15 pounds does NOT seem to want to budge.

I've tried the zig-zagging approach

I've tried changing up my routine from elliptical, to treadmill, to stair-master, to bike and using intervals.

I'm watching my calories and nutrition.

I started weight lifting at home as well.

I'm trying not to get discouraged, but I'm so close!!!

Any tips or tricks ladies? Tomorrow morning I'm going to try a spinning class or a Piyo class at the gym.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM
FitDay Member

I am not sure but if it is located in your belly, you might want to try some ab crunches or sit ups.. anything to target the abs. If it is spread out.. I really dont know what to tell you other than if you keep doing what you are, the plateau eventually does give way.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:26 AM
FitDay Member

Keep up the great work!

One suggestion... If you've been tracking your food intake, go back to a week when your weight loss was successful, and try to replicate that (what you ate and generally your exercise).

Good to have your own personal meal plans for success, handy in your ‘back-pocket’.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

Be patient; wait it out. This could be your body's way of resetting itself and regrouping. You are doing everything right, and it's not unusual to see a couple, three-week plateau, especially as you get close to the end. The closer you are, the harder it is; stinks, but it's true. Keep pounding away at the weight training. The more muscle you build, the more your metabolism kicks into gear. Drink a lot of water, make sure you're getting your fiber, eat as clean as you can. Put the scale away for a week or two and see what happens; I truly believe that the more you stress over it, the more likely you are to hang onto pounds.

You've come a long way; you'll get the rest of it off eventually. Congrats on your success...shift focus and celebrate it
Old 10-22-2010, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

Gamegal: My weight lies in my lower half....ie thighs unfortunately, and I've been doing about 150 crunches about 4 times a week. (Copying the Jillian Michael's workout)

Thank you all for your support!!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

I got nothin'. I'm in exactly the same boat, only I have another 30 to lose. I'm going to try dropping my calories and raising my protein, sort of take it closer to Atkins for a couple of weeks. I'm a little concerned that if I hard core it through the holidays, I'll fall off the wagon in a hard and ugly way.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:27 PM
FitDay Member

How much do you eat, are you possibly eating too little and exercising too much? It's okay to lose slowly, don't cut calories too much and set yourself up for a "feast." Have you been at 145 in the past and maintained it? What kind of foods do you eat? How active are you outside of the gym? You are making permanent changes now so be patient.

Last edited by noelminneci; 10-22-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by noelminneci
What's your height, what's your goal weight, are you sure it's a realistic weight? How much do you eat, are you possibly eating too little and exercising too much? It's okay to lose slowly, don't cut calories too much and set yourself up for a "feast." Haveyou been at this goal weight in the past and maintained it? What kind of foods do you eat? How active are you outside of the gym time?
I believe all of the info is in my signature, but I'm 5'9, goal weight of 145. I was this weight back in college (2002-2006), and it is realistic based on my height. I aim for 1200 calories a day, but range up to 1500.

I exercise about 6 times a week (usually take Sunday off) and do a variety of activities ranging from jogging intervals on the treadmill, the elliptical, bike, zumba and once a week I hit the stair-master for 20 minutes and try to beat my last weeks floor record (mine is 60).

Outside of the gym, I'm slightly active ie. mall trips, errands, cleaning the house. But I sit and do a TON of work on my computer which is how I gained this weight in the first place along with eating way too much unhealthy food and no exercise.

I attempt to keep my protein levels the highest in my nutrition ratio. Tonight we had tilapia in a fat free lemon butter sauce (delicious). I eat a lot of cottage cheese and drink a ton of water.... the list goes on and on. I've changed my eating habits dramatically when I started this journey in April which is awesome and I've learned to pick healthier choices when we go out to eat at restaurants.

I think I answered all the questions, lol, it is getting late here!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Luckygir15
Gamegal: My weight lies in my lower half....ie thighs unfortunately, and I've been doing about 150 crunches about 4 times a week. (Copying the Jillian Michael's workout)

Thank you all for your support!!!!
Mmm, my personal trainer swears by squats, lunges and dead-rows to help lose fat from the thighs. If you don't know what a dead-row is I'm sure you can find the right technique by googling or swearching YouTube. Good luck!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

Have you tried using the elliptical? I've been averaging about 4 hour/week on mine, and it's whittled away my thighs and fanny down to a level I never expected to see again. I've got a little hip left, but that's been melting away too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.