FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   91 Day Challenge (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/209-91-day-challenge.html)

KimmyRocks 01-20-2010 08:07 AM

91 Day Challenge

Hey there!

Yesterday I decided to commit to 91 days of healthy behaviors and see what progress I can make toward a new me.

Why 91 days? Well, that's about 3 months: 13 weeks. That should be long enough to take the new desired behaviors and make them into habits.

It's long enough to be able to see some pretty clear results. It's short enough not to be overwhelming.

Here's how it's breaking down:
5 days of exercise/training days per week: 65 workouts total (with 39 of those to include weight training.) If I lose one pound per week, that's potentially 13 pounds I could lose.

Besides adding the exercise habit back to my life, I'll be phasing out my daily martini habit (5 oz. = 327 calories) - of which sometimes I have two - and giving up cigarettes (again), which I tend to have along with the cocktail. (Two birds, and all that) I know how unhealthy these both are! But more on this with future posts... Suffice it to say I'm looking forward to feeling better.

I don't have a target for the weight loss, because I want to focus more on the healthy behaviors and fitness than the numbers on my scale. I just want to see what happens. I'll take down my weight and measurements a few times throughout, but only for further evidence of progress - nothing more.

I'll be posting here with the day and workout number to goal.
Today is Day 2 of 91 and workout 2 of 65.
(89 days to go and 63 workouts.)

Woohooo!

Anyone want to come along? :p

KimmyRocks 01-21-2010 12:57 AM

Day #3, Workout #3

Got on the scale this morning... ugh. No wonder I feel fat. It's cause I am!

Anywhooo, it's a weight training day today.

Here's what I'm currently doing:
  • Rear lunges
  • Squats
  • Plies
  • Bicep Curls
  • Lateral deltoid raises
  • Front delt. raises
  • Military presses
  • Upright barbell row
  • (reclining) Overhead triceps extensions
  • Chest presses
  • Dumbbell pectoral flies (flys?)
  • Bent-over dumbbell row

My cardio work is lower-body intensive, so I focus on upper-body with the weight work. I'll add some core/abs work later.

88 days and 62 workouts to go! :p

KimmyRocks 01-22-2010 01:30 AM

Welcome to Day 4 :)

So... Day 4, workout 4

Today is a non-weight-training day. Cardio work for today is step aerobics to one of Christi Taylor's DVDs for 45 to 60 minutes. (Going for higher intensity workout on the off-weight days.)

I'm the only person I know who still does step. Oh well - I can't go cross-country skiing with no snow - and I'm a little bored with the treadmill (at least until I'm fit enough to run intervals again.)

Skiing is my winter workout of choice. It burns the most calories and I can go for longer periods of time. Plus, it's never boring! I hope we get more snow again before the end of January. (Rain in the forecast this weekend... hmpf.)

(87 days and 61 workouts to go)

KimmyRocks 01-22-2010 11:55 PM

Day 5

It's the 5th day of my little challenge. Today is again a weight-training day. I'm not nearly as sore as I've been the rest of the week, so it feels like progress already. :)

I know I'm pushing my body, but I've been very fit in the past - not the RECENT past, I grant you - so I know I can do it.

Tomorrow is my day off this week (for training), but I'm thinking at least an hour of walking on the treadmill will feel good. Besides, I've had too many off days these past few years. I'd like to keep the forward momentum.

Wrapping up week 1 of 13: I've quit smoking, quit the evening martini (switched to herbal tea), stuck to my workouts and the plan in general - who's a good girl??? :rolleyes:

12 weeks to go. 86 days. 60 (planned) workouts left.
Woohooo!

ArchyJill 01-23-2010 03:09 AM

Wow Kimmy...no martinti??? You are a mad woman :) Good plan for stopping smoking!! I took up running as a substitute when I quit...I think you are set for success with your plan!

kathietaylor 01-23-2010 04:57 AM

Kimmy, what an awesome start!! It takes great self discipline to make all those changes at one time, I am impressed! I will keep checking in on your thread to see if you can motivate ME to get moving! I am doing well with the healthy eating, but not with the exercising. Keep up the good work!

babs7119 01-23-2010 01:29 PM

Sounds like you are off to a great start Kimmy, Good for you. I am also trying a weight loss challenge. I am hoping to lose about 80lbs. I am more concentrating on the life style changes more so than the numbers right now. Best of luck

mrssmty 01-23-2010 04:23 PM

where is Kimmy?? I miss her already ... tell me bout day 6!! Keep up the great work. Kimmy does rock. Feelin the need to get my butt in gear!:o

KimmyRocks 01-23-2010 11:55 PM

Good MORning! It's Day 6!

Hey all! Tenk you... Tenk you... for the warm welcome and 'atta girl' type comments.

:p I like it! :p

Although it's my 'day off', I plan to walk/run some intervals on the treadmill today. Mostly, because I plan to be BAD with my food choices. I think dear daughter and I will be going out for buffalo chicken wings.

Yikes.... there's my fat intake for a week!

If I wanna play, I've gotta pay. Hence the intervals. I've gotta earn that treat, ya know?

I should still have a large deficit at the end of the day, so I'm not gonna worry.

To keep myself busy and my mind off the cigs, I've been de-cluttering some cabinets, drawers and ooooh... my desk looks all organized and pretty now! I even backed up my hard drive yesterday.

I'm feeling very good about the feng-shui-ness of it all. :D

Ooh... almost forgot: 85 days, 60 (planned) workouts to go!

babs7119 01-24-2010 06:39 AM

Too bad there isn't a way to chat with each other. Do you have a facebook page? It is so helpful to be able to chat and encourage each other. I think you are doing great! :)

KimmyRocks 01-24-2010 11:11 PM

It's Day 7!

Day 7, workout number 6 of the 91 day challenge.

It's a weight training day. Saturday, I bumped myself up 5 lbs on a few moves - it was challenging, but I got in 8 to 10 reps, so I was ready for that next level.

So for most moves, I'm working with 20 lb dumbbells. I can probably put the 15-pounders away soon. I think upright rows are the only move now that I use 'em for.

I'm a little sore from running intervals yesterday, but I'm happy I did it. (I used to be a runner.) I miss it.

I downloaded some new cardio playlist tunes - it makes a huge difference. Listening to the same tired songs over and over (and over), no matter how fun and funky they start out, can get to be a drag. Three of my favorite new tunes (beats good for about 4.1 mph on the treadmill):

Here I Come - The Roots
Illegal Tender - Louis XIV
The Longest Road (Deadmau5 Remix) - Morgan Page

Hmmm... maybe playlist tunes should be their own thread.

84 days and 59 workouts to go!

Oh! To Babs... sorry - no, I don't do facebook.

KimmyRocks 01-26-2010 12:39 AM

Welcome to Day 8

So... today I tackle my teenager's bedroom. (Please remember me in your prayers.) That girl is a professional slob - I'm scared of what I'm going to find in there, but it's part of my "out with the old energy" strategy for staying on track and feeling good.

It's going to take hours (no exaggerating), with a lot of trips up and down the stairs, doing the laundry that I uncover... hauling the vacuum around, moving furniture, etc.

Hopefully nothing in there will eat me. :o Wish me luck.

83 Days and 59 workouts to go. :cool:

lin2010 01-26-2010 10:20 AM

way to go

I am impressed. I know how hard it is to stay on a program. I'm new here but I'll be rooting for you maybe even join you.
lin;)

KimmyRocks 01-26-2010 11:55 PM

Lunacy loves company!

Come on then, Lin! :D

My last post was eaten - something that is getting REALLY OLD - and I'm not interested in posting it all again. Not today. I'm not in a humor to waste time redo-ing what I already did. :(

Anyway.

It's Day 9 - step aerobics and stretching today. Dinner with Dad tonight.

The Big Clean of 2010 was a success. Too bad the cute stories about dust bunnies, odd socks and candy wrappers were in that last lost post. But it's done and dear daughter and I are thrilled with the results.

Hmmm... Lunacy loves company - that might be my new mantra!

82 days and 58 workouts to go!

KimmyRocks 01-28-2010 12:49 AM

10 - gettin' ziggy with it

Yesterday could have gone better. I didn't make the best choices. I skipped lunch - for no reason other than getting busy learning a new website and being crabby - then dragged arse through my step workout.

It was brutal. I was outta gas before I even started, so I kept watching the clock and saying okay... 20 more minutes... 19 more minutes.... 18 more minutes... maybe I could quit now... you get the idea. I gave up a little early and did 20 minutes of easy walking on the treadmill to try and put my head on straight.

I didn't eat afterward either, so I was ravenous by the time they seated us at the very busy Italian place that we went for dinner. I ate less than half of my eggplant parm and angel hair, but then 1 1/2 hours later - at home - polished off the rest.

The pasta wasn't even that good. That's what bugs me.

I'm going to make sure I'm fed and fueled, but I'm going easy on the calories today - need to zig from yesterday's zag - if you hear what I'm sayin.

It was tough to get through the stress of meeting dad's new "lady friend" without a cigarette either before or after. That's one of the reasons I was in a foul mood yesterday.

Stress starving followed by stress eating? Neither is something I want to do. But at least I didn't light up. (Silver lining?)

Must get ziggy and leave yesterday behind: 81 days and 57 workouts to go.

Edit for change of plans: I was planning a weight training day for today, but my body is saying REST. So - that's what I'll give it. I'll just switch. No prob. 58 workouts to go.

KimmyRocks 01-29-2010 12:25 AM

Day 11

Weight training today after warming up for 20 minutes on the treadmill.

I'm still feeling a bit run down-ish (despite a long nap yesterday)... I'm SOOOoo not interested in derailing my plans by getting sick now - so I'll see how I'm feeling and decide whether to do more cardio following the weight training.

Even then - I'm not going hard. Just a paced walk to log some mileage is all. :) Steady on!

80 days and 57 workouts to go.

KimmyRocks 01-29-2010 11:58 PM

Sabado Lindo

Day 12 of 91 and all is well :)

Step aerobics today - one of the workouts on Christi Taylor's Fantastic Four DVD.

The fridge is empty and I'm out of yogurt - must do some grocery shopping today. So I'll plan that out and bring a list.

Although I'm not a fan of Walmart, they have these great frozen stir-fry veggie mixes that I can't find anywhere else. The price is right and the variety is even better! There's an asparagus mix that I really love. It's good just microwaved, even.

Walmart also has perfectly portioned wild-caught salmon filets that are quite reasonable - and yummy! It's a great clean protein source, too.

Maybe I should post this on the nutrition page.

Hope everyone has a good Saturday!
79 days and 56 workouts to go

KimmyRocks 01-31-2010 11:07 PM

Day 14

I did my weight training and cardio work yesterday to wrap up week number 2. I stuck with my plan despite some suffering related to TTOTM - so I'm glad about that. Still no cigs and winding down with herbal tea in the evenings.

This begins week 3. I just need to stay on the course. Physically and mood-wise, I feel better after exercise. I'm starting to sleep better at night, too. The pounds and inches will come off in time. I've gotta believe and keep going.

77 days (11 weeks) and 54 workouts to go!

cjohnson728 02-01-2010 02:07 AM

Wow, this is a really motivating thread. Love your choices, your willpower, and your positive frame of mind even when all does not go according to plan. I can see coming back to read this whenever I'm on shaky ground. Thanks for sharing your journey...you really do rock!:D

KimmyRocks 02-02-2010 06:47 AM

Thanks, cj!

It's day 15 people!

Hey, cj - thanks for the encouragement. I hope you'll feel free to drop in and post anytime. I'll be glad to offer a (kindly meant) boot in the behinders any time you think it'll help. :D

It's one of the planned rest days for the week today. I just did my taxes and feel a good sense of accomplishment. Crossing things off a 'to do' list is a lovely mood lifter!

I haven't had any water yet today, so I'd best get on that... *glug glug*

I swear I'm starting to see a change in my body - through my torso. That can't be already, can it? Hey - I guess I don't care if it IS a mirage. At least I'm not seeing myself as FATTER. :p right? :p

76 days and 54 workouts to go!

KristynBond 02-02-2010 07:51 AM

Hi Kimmy! I really, really like your posts. I just wanted to respond to a post you made a little while ago. You said you were doing step aerobics and no one does that anymore. I actually just tried my first step class in about 15 years on Sunday. It was SO much fun, but I also looked ridiculous. I think I'm gonna go again tomorrow. I had a great time.
Good luck with you challenge!

KimmyRocks 02-03-2010 01:05 AM

Hey Kristy :)

Thanks for posting. I applaud you for having the guts to take a live step class. THAT is something I'm not sure I'd want to do, though I guess if the choreography was basic enough and the instructor gave clear instructions, I might be okay.

I dunno though... It takes me SO LONG to get in the groove when I'm doing a new workout DVD! I do, and redo certain sections I don't get until I know the routines when I'm at home. (Can't do that in class.) Plus - knowing there are men at the gym (what used to by my gym, anyway) watching my clumsy attempts - ugh!

Yup. You're brave. Let me know how it goes today!

It's day 16. (Weight training this morning.) We got new sparkly powdery snow overnight, so I'm going out for a few hours of Nordic (cross-country) skiing as my cardio today. I can't wait. I love variety AND I love being outdoors.

75 days and 53 workouts to go!

KristynBond 02-03-2010 03:42 AM

Haha...thanks. Luckily I don't get embarassed easily. :-) If I did I probably wouldn't be going to the live classes. Everyone there is really nice, so it wasn't as scary as I thought it might be. I'm gonna go again tonight. I figure if I can commit to 3 live classes a week, that's a good start.
I look forward to continue reading your updates!
~Kristyn

KimmyRocks 02-04-2010 01:35 AM

I love winter

I have to tell you - yesterday I had SO MUCH FUN skiing! I went to the same county park/forest as I had in the middle of January. Only that time, I fell on about 75% of the downhill stretches of trail. I avoided a lot of hills because of the risk of injury.I had fun, but it was at a cost. I went home sore with quite a few bruises.

I started training right after that.

What a huge difference in just two weeks! Since my legs and back are stronger, I did every hill without falling once. It was so much more fun now that I'm in better condition. I took some huge hills, too! Two hours later, I was tired, sweaty and very happy. Plus, I got to see some amazing winter landscapes. The quiet of the forest with the snow gently falling around me....? Wonderful.

So, besides wanting to be healthier, I also work out so that I can enjoy the sports and activities that I love. I want to learn kayaking and rock-climbing!
Oooh... look at me going on and on...

It's day 17 :) The forecast looks great for today and tomorrow. I'm going to get dressed, snack on a banana and head out for more skiing! WoooHOOOOOoooooo!

KimmyRocks 02-04-2010 11:43 PM

Jeans don't lie (?)

It's Day 18.

Being outdoors skiing this week has been great for my spirits. I'll head out again this afternoon. I'm burning around 1200 calories each trip out - and I really feel it in my back muscles and tushy. Good stuff! Today will be it for the next few days... so it'll be back to the treadmill on the weekend.

Weight training this morning before I head out. I noticed my jeans are fitting a little better this week - I hope that's not my imagination. :p

73 days and 51 workouts to go.

KimmyRocks 02-06-2010 12:08 AM

Whew!

It's day 19.

I
am
tired.
:p

I've burned a boatload of calories this week - so I'm quite pleased, despite blowing off yesterday's weight training. :eek: I know - shocking, right?

I was dragging and had to choose between skiing and lifting weights. I had enough energy for exactly one of them. I chose to get outdoors.

I feel I've earned my rest day today.
72 days and 50 workouts left in this challenge.

See ya'll tomorrow.

KimmyRocks 02-07-2010 07:04 AM

Day 20 and Week 3 is a wrap!

I just finished my weight training and 4.5 miles on the treadmill. I had to force myself to get moving today. I slept for 10 hours last night and I was still tired this morning. I did a little over 9 hours of cardio this week with the cross-country skiing - when I have been doing 5 - it's no wonder I'm beat!

I'm feeling refreshed now, so I'm glad I got up and got moving.

I'm drinking water and eating my favorite post-workout lunch: light peach non-fat yogurt, sliced strawberries, a handful of blueberries and 1/2 cup of cooked and cooled kashi pilaf - all mixed together. Yummm!

I'm looking forward to doing measurements after next week. I'm curious.

Tomorrow starts week 4. The first few have flown by. I have to say that I'm enjoying my herbal tea so much in the evenings, that I don't miss the martinis at all. And cigarettes? There have been a few days I've had cravings, but I'd rather spend the money on new music than a pack of cigarettes. New music downloads are a pretty sweet reward, actually.

Feeling proud of myself is another nice reward. Things are getting good now, so there's no way I'm turning back.

71 days and 50 workouts to go! (I shouldn't have ticked one off for yesterday, since it was a rest day)

KimmyRocks 02-08-2010 12:50 PM

Did a little over 5 miles on the treadmill, got showered and feel human again. Today was a scheduled rest day, but walking doesn't need to count as a workout, so I'm not going to tick it off. (Honestly, I was a little bored.) It's been an uneventful day. I did some writing, cooked, cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry. Big whoop.

I just got my favorite herbal tea in today's mail (this lemon wintergreen stuff that looks and smells an awful lot like potpourri :rolleyes: ) They stopped making it, so it's probably the last time I'll find it - even online.

It's the start of week 4 - closing in on the first month, which I'm pretty excited about. I'm really looking forward to being fit again. That will be sweet. For now - it's all about clearing away the doubts and creating new healthy habits. Right now feels good. I'm enjoying the process.

70 days and 50 workouts to go in the challenge!

KimmyRocks 02-09-2010 01:26 AM

when she got there, the cupboard was bare

Just finished planning my grocery shopping for the next few days - just to tide me over til the weekend. The list helps me answer the question "what's for dinner?" - which I MUST be ready to answer, or we end up ordering pizza or grabbing some other gawd-awful convenience food.

Was debating on whether to ski today or not. I think I'll wait and go tomorrow (and probably Thur & Friday too) since there's snow in the forecast. :cool: The trail will be better with new snow.

So... it's weight training and step aerobics today. I'm bored with the music on my Step DVD, so I'll need to figure something else out. (I have a dozen or so step workouts on VHS - but I don't have a VCR anymore.) Netflix, here I come.

It's day 22: 69 days and 49 workouts to go!

KimmyRocks 02-12-2010 03:35 AM

Get it done, girl

Haven't posted in a few days... Yesterday was a rest day and the day before, I did some skiing for cardio. *shrugs* Feeling a bit blah... and there's not much reason to keep up these posts - except I thought they would help me. Right now I'm kinda wondering: why bother?

The wind chill has been a bummer for skiing. I cut Wednesday's trip out short by an hour because I was cold and wet. No fun, that. I've been feeling chilled ever since.

So, it's indoors for me until the wind dies down. :( Not thrilled, but it is what it is. Hope the snow lingers, so I can get back outdoors.

Weight training today and (boring) cardio on the treadmill. Just going through the motions - at least I have some new music to hopefully make it better. Morgan Page... great for walking at 4+ mph. Love his stuff.

66 days and 47 workouts to go

KimmyRocks 02-14-2010 01:56 PM

'tis the end of week 4

One third of the way through.

Yesterday was nice enough to do some skiing. (Wonderful) I've spent too much money this weekend - trying to keep off the cigarettes and my mind off Valentines Day....

Mostly successful - still haven't lit up.

Weight training and treadmill work today. Too cold to venture outdoors to ski, but tomorrow is supposed to be nicer. I'll definitely get out.

64 days and 45 workouts to go!

KimmyRocks 02-17-2010 12:21 AM

Day 30 - Week 5 of 13

Hmmm... I'm about a third of the way through my little challenge. My weight has only changed a little, which is fine. I measured yesterday and find I've shed 7.25 inches since I started - mostly around my middle - so the change I thought I could see was not a mirage after all.

Cool.

Let's see... Monday I went skiing for 2 and a half hours. Wow - straight flat trail - it was all work. 8 or 9 miles of it. I had a migraine come on soon after coming home. Ugh... At least my exercise was done for the day.

Yesterday (Tuesday), I was still feeling head-achey, so that was my rest day. I slept a lot.

Today it's weight training and some cardio. I did some indulging this past weekend, so it's time to clean up my eating a bit.

61 days and 43 workouts to go!

Sbrookee 02-17-2010 01:07 PM

I'm on board...

I love this idea...and am jumping on board starting tomorrow! I just broke up with a long-term boyfriend and have gone through too many ben and jerry's in the past month to count. My biggest struggle, I think, will be detoxing from the initial lack of sugar (I want to give up all processed sugar), and not emotionally eating.

I'm liking the 5 days a week exercise thing, and my other goal is to give up processed sugar. In the past having a square of dark chocolate as a treat can be really good to satisfy sugar cravings. After my initial detox I'm going to snack on those.

Anyways...I'm off to make up some schedule sheets, and get a good sleep for day one!

KimmyRocks 02-18-2010 12:39 AM

Sweet!

Sbrookee!!!! So glad you're gonna do it!

Break ups suck. Even when you aren't serious about the guy, it can send you into a tail spin (which I experienced in the fall and gained pounds and inches.)

We do need to be feeling fit and fabulous for ourselves! Then we can enjoy those really terrific men that are bound to be in our futures.

Come on! They won't be able to resist us. :p

Step aerobics for me today. When I'm not skiing, I need to crank the intensity up on my cardio so I can get better results. I also have a job interview. Keep your fingers crossed for me, please.

60 days and 42 workouts to go!

KimmyRocks 02-21-2010 12:08 AM

Week 5 was a little shakey

Figures... this has generally been the sticking point for me - the 4 or 5 week mark, I mean. The past few years, this has been around the time my plans fizzle out and I give it up.

Well, I don't remember who likened slips to dropping one egg out of the carton, but that was good. I don't plan to smash the rest because of one less-than-stellar day.

Dear Daughter said some really awful things to me Thursday night that had me rocking back on my heels. My heart was broken. Friday I skipped my workouts with my arse on the couch all day. I bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked a few that night - with a martini, of course. (It wasn't one that I was allowed this week.) I was not impressed with myself. But that was the idea, of course.

Here's a newsflash: I'm not perfect. :eek: I know... there's a shocker, right?

At least I crushed up the cigarettes and threw them out the next morning. After all, I'm not a smoker anymore! I'll get past this and get back to business. Yesterday (Sat) I was tempted again to blow off, but I did a few miles on the treadmill and hit the weights despite not wanting to.

Here's another newsflash: Perfection is not a requirement of success!

It's Day 34. I have one more weight workout this week to make three, so I'm going to do an extra one tomorrow. (I don't lift weights two days in a row.) So - Mon, Wed, Fri and Sunday for weights this week. That'll have me sitting pretty, covering Weeks 5 and 6. Today is step aerobics and abs.

57 Days and 40 Workouts to go. I'm sticking with this! BOOhyah.

Built 02-21-2010 12:20 PM

Kimmie: Good for you for dusting yourself off and hopping back on track! I loved the "Perfection is not a requirement for Success!" In fact, perfectionism leads most people to failure. Yup, you are a non-smoker now and one evening certainly doesn't cancel out all the effort you've applied so far. That was just an Old Pattern. Keep going...we're all cheering you on!

foodfrenzied 02-21-2010 02:02 PM

Kimmy, I am so happy that you had the courage to tell us of your off day. I think it is so helpful to know that others go through the same thing I do, struggling sometimes to get past the hurt and stressful events that got us overeating in the first place.

Sometimes I feel like just because I've made a decision to change my life and I've told EVERYONE and I've been exercising and eating a lot less for a whole month, that I just CAN'T fail now. And that feeling scares me so much, that it actually makes me want to give up! That is probably why I've never succeeded in the past, and why, even after all this success, I still struggle as much as ever.

Thank you for the message of not having to be perfect to succeed. I really needed to hear it.

By the way, I also step regularly! On one of the original 90's steps! One of my biggest markers for success is the fact that I can now finish Kathy Smith's Step Workout tape without dying (yes, even the "advanced" section). Not so long ago, I could barely make it through the beginner section. What's your favorite video step workout?

F.

KimmyRocks 02-22-2010 02:46 AM

Thanks, Built

Originally Posted by Built (Post 4067)
Kimmie: Good for you for dusting yourself off and hopping back on track! I loved the "Perfection is not a requirement for Success!" In fact, perfectionism leads most people to failure. Yup, you are a non-smoker now and one evening certainly doesn't cancel out all the effort you've applied so far. That was just an Old Pattern. Keep going...we're all cheering you on!

Nice to hear the cheers! :)

KimmyRocks 02-22-2010 03:17 AM

frenzied....?

Originally Posted by foodfrenzied (Post 4070)
Thank you for the message of not having to be perfect to succeed. I really needed to hear it.

By the way, I also step regularly! On one of the original 90's steps! One of my biggest markers for success is the fact that I can now finish Kathy Smith's Step Workout tape without dying (yes, even the "advanced" section). Not so long ago, I could barely make it through the beginner section. What's your favorite video step workout?

I think that F word (failure, that is...) should be banned. It's almost always used to bludgeon us - it makes me mad.

Your username made me smile. You could just as easily be FITfrenzied, you know. :p (just a suggestion!)

For step vids, I really like Gin Miller's Aerostep workout, but it's an older title that isn't available on DVD (and my VHS player bit the dust a while back.) I have a pile of Gin Miller's Reebok step vids, actually. Intense Moves will kick your butt... as well The Power Workout. These are all pretty dated. I know she has new stuff, but I've moved on to liking fancier choreography.

On DVD, I have Christi Taylor's Fantastic 4 - Step Heaven and Still Steppin' are both on it. I switch them back and forth.

Another instructor I like is Gay Gasper, who you may remember from the Original Step workout that was distributed with "The Step" in the 90's. Maybe? :) She has one: CIA 2701: All Out Infused Step that I rented from Netflix. It was tough... but it was good. I might pick that up again.

How 'bout you? What videos do you like?

foodfrenzied 02-23-2010 12:50 PM

Hi Kimmy,

Yes, I suppose it could be fitfrenzied, but food currently makes me a lot crazier than exercise, I have to say. :)

I haven't been exposed to much of anything yet - just Kathy Smith who I completely love. I have been doing her Step Workout and can finally complete the entire thing (which is incredible for me) and her Buns and Thighs Step Workout is excellent as well.

Thank you for your recommendations on this and the Exercise thread - I have checked out collage video and have previewed quite a few videos. I am interested in trying Christi Taylor and at some point I hope to try Cathe Friedrich - but she is wayyy out of my league right now. :)

frenzied