FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   New here (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1989-new-here.html)

Melmo80 09-15-2010 02:54 AM

New here

Hi girls:) i'm hoping this will be a semi active place for me to discuss my life change phase. I'm turning 30 this December and about 3 weeks ago, my husband and I had a long talk. I've been a stay at home mom for 3 years, and I became addicted to a computer role playing game, to where I put on 20 lbs and pretty much ignored my kids and house. After a long talk and a deep look into my life, I know I needed to change.
So here I am, I've been fast walking for about a week and now jogging 1 mile and speed walking 2 miles. I've quit the computer game and I'm trying to spend more time with family. My kids are 11 and 9, with the older one fast becoming a teenager and going through the 'not needing mom' phase of life.
So as you see, I'm kind of in the middle of a mid life crisis type thing. I'm hoping the jogging wont be a phase, because I've fallen in love with the freedom of jogging and the energy it gives me. It's almost like a high or something lol !
So anyway, I'm here to be judged, pushed, helped along the way into being 30 and healthy. I'm currently 140lbs at 5'7". Weight is not really what i'm wanting to concentrate on, because I'm still in the 'healthy' range, but I want to get rid of my cellulite and loose chubby crap

fletch8502 09-15-2010 03:07 AM

Welcome! Thanks for being so honest and sharing your story. Congratulations on deciding to make a change and on the steps you've taken so far. Just be careful not to replace one addiction (the game) with another (online forums!). ;-)

Maybe your kids could exercise with you? Try jogging, biking, playing a sport, etc. together as a family and see how that goes! And of course keep jogging on your own; don't let it become a phase! Since your goal is more toning than losing weight, you might want to try adding in some strength training a few days a week as well.

Best wishes!

Melmo80 09-15-2010 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by fletch8502 (Post 21059)
Welcome! Thanks for being so honest and sharing your story. Congratulations on deciding to make a change and on the steps you've taken so far. Just be careful not to replace one addiction (the game) with another (online forums!). ;-)

Maybe your kids could exercise with you? Try jogging, biking, playing a sport, etc. together as a family and see how that goes! And of course keep jogging on your own; don't let it become a phase! Since your goal is more toning than losing weight, you might want to try adding in some strength training a few days a week as well.

Best wishes!

Thanks for the welcome:) And yea, I normally have the PC off aside from logging on here to enter my food/activities for the day. We already have taken some steps to get the kids active too. We cut computer/game time and all go outside for at least 1 hour after school(we have a rule that homework gets done first no matter what). The younger son has joined karate and we practice that daily also. I'm really trying my hardest to make this a family makeover in hopes it will help me to keep with it. Some are telling me that's not fair to them to force them to exercise, but I think they need it too.