Notices

New Member -- Just starting out

Old 09-13-2010, 04:11 PM
FitDay Member

Smile New Member -- Just starting out

As the title says I am a newbie here. I thought I would provide background and information on me to see if anyone else out there has my same issues. Mainly blood clots/fibromyalgia and arthrtis/psoriatic arthritis.

A little background on me...I have always struggled with my weight even as a child. I managed to lose weight in my teens but gained quickly after college/marriage.

I was 225 pounds when I got pregnant 3 years into my marriage (15 years ago now) and developed pre-elampsia/HELP Syndrome and had my son prematurely.

After my c-section I landed up back in the hospital twice for blood clots and after spending almost a full 2 months in the hospital and childbirth I was 285 pounds. I was very run down and sick after that all the time and the weight started adding up.

Eight years ago I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and fibromyalgia. Activity levels continued to go on a downward spiral and in the last 15 years I gained much more weight.

I am now a whopping 358 pounds on a 5 foot 6 frame.

Since February 2010 I've been sick ALL the time. Bronchitis, sinus infections that will not go away and then I started what I thought was falling asleep at random times. Driving...while in midsentence talking even...and worst of all even "nodding off" at my desk at work AND being caught at it. You'd think I'd say driving but honestly I NEED my job and LOVE it too so nodding off at work and being talked to by my boss was a HUGE deal and scared me badly.

I thought I maybe had sleep apnea and so did my boss. Then before I could get in to talk to my doctor about a sleep test, my right arm began to hurt badly and swell.

I thought it was my lymph nodes from a sinus infection I couldn't shake after 3 rounds of antibiotics. Turned out it was a blood clot. Once I got in the hospital on August 20th they found a number of clots in both legs, both lower lobes of my lungs and in my right arm. They were unsure what caused the clots, weight can play an issue with clotting but there is a possibility that I have something called Thrombophillia...basically the exact opposite of Hemophillia. Doctors decided that my "sleeping" and "nodding off" were not that at all but I was passing out from lack of oxygen because of the number of clots in my lungs and the rest of my body. Yikes!

I returned to work last Tuesday and today went to see a nutritionist for the first time. I was apprehensive about it, diets just never work out well for me and I gain back more than I lose but after talking to her I feel much better. After tallying up my food on a regular day when I wasn't "dieting" we discovered I had only consumed 1500 calories or so of food.

Food isn't my problem, overeating isn't my problem.

My problem is anywhere from 3 to 6 Dr. Pepper's a day. I was consuming the bulk of my calories in soda pop rather than from food. So I do have to stop drinking it, but she knows how hard it is to cut out a drink like that which has become so addictive so I am allowed 1 can a day as long as I add it to my calories. I begin on that tomorrow. The nutritionist wants me to lose just 35 pounds first and see how I feel physically before starting an excercise program. She thinks it will be easier on my body based on my medical condition to do this. So my first goal is 35 pounds but my overall goal is 210 pounds.

So, I guess after all that I'll ask what others have done who had a soft drink addiction to break the habit since it along with a sedentary lifestyle seems to be the biggest factor in my weight gain over the years.

I also wonder if anyone else is on coumadin for blood thinning? If so maybe we can share recipes and things to help avoid the foods we shouldn't eat (which are the best for diets oddly enough.)

Last edited by tammcclure; 09-13-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

I just wanted to wish you good luck!

I am also just starting out. I weigh approximately 345 lbs at 5'4. I have struggled with my weight since childhood also, and live a sendentary lifestyle. My knees and back have given me grief since I was a child and now I walk with a cane. Nobody can attribute it to much other than some minor arthritis and also I am knock-kneed (opposite of bowlegged). However, I don't struggle with near the amount physical issues that you are dealing with. I was very happy to see your message. It gave me hope!

I look forward to hearing more of your journey!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Tam, welcome to the forums!

I used to live on soda, mostly diet soda but after a while that is as bad for you as regular since your body begins to react as if the sweetner is sugar.

What helped me make the transition is at Walmart.. they have something called Sam's Choice or Sam's Clear choice .. something like that. It isnt in the aisle with the soda.. its in the aisle where the water is.

The have a lot of flavors ( my favorite is Peach)... but basically it is carbonated water that is flavord with natural flavors. (The peach tastes like a peach without the weird aftertaste). There are no calories, no sweetner, no carbs no nothing.. and yet it is sooo good! It is a great way to get your water quota in as well... however I must warn you... once you have stopped the soda, you will find that food/hunger WILL be a problem for you. Drinking the soda 'kills' your appetite and you rarely feel hungry. Once its out of your system, you will be hungry!

I would suggest you come to the Sweet and Sassy in September thread. It is the best thread going :-) and its for people who have 100 or more lbs to lose.
You will find encouragement, suggestions, motivation and accountability there.

I was on Cumadin for a while and what I was told was that I could eat anything I had been eating already, just not to overdo it. Especially with things like salad and Vitamin K. Otherwise, you can still have them, just dont go wild with them. (I ended up having to get off Cumadin because I was also on Plavix and another drug that caused me to bleed internally).

Good luck on your journey!( I do not call it a diet since it is a lifestyle/ lifetime commitment) and check out Sweet and Sassy!
Old 09-13-2010, 04:43 PM
FitDay Member

Oh hon, sorry to hear about your need for a cane! I know how difficult it is living with pain so I can certainly empathize with you. Sounds like we both need to lose quite a bit so hopefully we can encourage each other! I know it won't be easy but I was really happy with what the nutritionist said to me today. It gave me hope seeing I wasn't going to have to try to diet on 1200 calories a day -- been there and done that and obviously it didn't work. Her way may be slower but I didn't gain it all in a day either.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:48 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you for the welcome! I will definitely give the carbonated water a try, thank you for the suggestion. With 2300 calories I'm allowed at least when I do get my appetite back I won't feel like I'm living on "rabbit food" and such. I think that gave me the most hope because I was surprised at being able to actually eat fairly normal.

My coumadin levels have been so wacked out they want me to stabalize before I try to put Vitamin K back into my diet too much. I forgot to mention I'm also severely iron deficient having to take Iron for that. Yuck.

I will definitely check out the 100+ group, I've been poking around the forums for a bit now since I joined earlier tonight. Everyone seems so very supportive!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:17 AM
FitDay Member

I just responded to your other post, but wanted to say thank you for sharing this story as well. You can do it! Best of luck!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:59 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Tam,

Glad to hear things are moving along for you! Let me know how things are going! I'm routing for you. I fell off the lifestyle wagon for a little over a week. I've been suffering some depression and I let it get to me. Story of my life Anyway, I'm not ready to give in. So here I go again! I bought myself a stationary bike and got my husband on board! So we're going riding to nowhere for awhile! Wish us luck!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:36 AM
FitDay Member

Tam, I am possibly the biggest lady on the forum, and I want to share some of myself with you so you don't feel alone, and to welcome you. I am new also...one week or so on the lifestyle change, and doing good.

You will do very well, if you keep in mind you are doing this to keep yourself alive.

I had an EKG weeks ago, and it came out bad. I have a cardiologist appointment, and I am 407 lbs, on a 5'10" frame. I'm huge. I can't fit in normal chairs, with arms, and I have to humble myself, go to a window, and ask for a chair without them, so I can fit. It's a humiliating situation we sometimes get ourselves into, but don't lose heart. If I can stick to changing my behavior, you can too and you can do it and become healthy.

I too drink sodas, but I overeat as well, and I don't tend to move around enough. I have been working on those things. Instead of a normal meal (ie: one beef pot pie vs. 6 beef pot pies), I'd eat six. My stomach, inside, must be incredibly large. I am looking at the reduction of food, which is hard, because I feel a bit hungry, but now that I found out my body type (fast oxidizer) I realized I can eat up to six small meals a day and the starvation feeling is finally gone. I eat no more than 1 cup of food, if I can help it. I have broken it to 1.5, but not exceeded that. I don't beat myself up about it. Instead, I hop right back on the horse, and continue as if I didn't slip at all. I figure, why beat myself up for trying my best? Better next time.

You may encounter that. Stick with the program! It passes. Every chance you have, get up and move. If you have Fibro/arthritis, like I do, I know how painful it is. Just keep going. Trust me on this...it gets easier. Last night, I was able to increase the amount of exercise I did and if someone my size, health and who has been so mobility impaired at one point, she couldn't walk more than ten steps at a time, you can do it too!

Encouragement from your family might not show up right away, but when they see you working hard, they will change and try to help. You have to rely on yourself sometimes, for some of us, but we are as reliable as we allow ourselves to become.

I have, for the FIRST time, encouragement from friends here, others like us and my family and I have to say...it's life-changing.

It's early in the game, but I might have lost a pound already and I'm so excited. My doctor said I can stop in and weigh whenever I want.

Moving around is your key to recovery. Giving up sodas is hard...almost hard as it was for me to quit smoking after 22 years, lol. That is pretty hard! But, if I can do it (I have little willpower), then YOU can. You can do this and win. Nobody has to succumb to weight gain when we are in charge of our lives.

Time is the one thing we can't get back. Once it's gone, it's over. Spending it to make ourselves live longer is a priceless journey in self control, amazement at the strength we have and didn't know we had, and in friendship and support. This board has been very supportive.

You are an amazing person, all of the people here are, and you are joining one of the most supportive sites I've ever seen...you will be amazed at how fast you begin noticing your intake, exercise, and moods and how they directly effect your eating. It's been very progressive for me.

Congratulations on your change of lifestyle and I know you can do it.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default Newbie also

This is my first time really trying to lose wieght and I have never been on or in a forum. I guess I will post my info like you did and see what happens. If I am doing something wrong, polease let me know. I am 33 years old. I have two daughters and I have been married for almost ten years. I about 60 lbs overwieght and i am so very tired of being that way. I think what pushes me the most id my family. My husband and myself are trying to raise our children with strong morals and ideals. I want to be a role model and maybe some day an inspiration to them as my mother is to me. My mom also needs to lose wieght and she is doing it with me. I am currently unemployed and I am going to school for cosmotology in January. I need to look my best if I am helping others to the same. I am a Christian and I do not believe I can accomplish anything without the Lord to help me. I am looking for support and friendship. I have two friends and they both work and are in school now. we used to run our errands together and have playdates with our kids b ut now I am finding myself alnoe all day at home waiting for the kids to come home and my husband to get off work. I do enjoy my own company but this is hard. If anyone reads this and would like someone to chat with occasionally, please respond.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 AM
FitDay Member

Paulie Joe -- good that you've come here and I have "SEEN" your response. If you are looking for regular support, I highly recommend you come over to the thread entitltled "Sweet and Sassy in September." It is a thread for those of us with a bit more than 30 pounds to lose. It says 100 pounds, but they welcome all who are determine and may have a longer journey. So come on over and visit! I just joined and have found these ladies to be really supportive.

Ang

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.