Notices

5-15 Pounders Weekly Check-In for 9/14/10

Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 PM
FitDay Member

hi all - I don't know what my deal is, but I did post 2 x over the last couple of days and they never appeared. Here's try #3:

Thank you all for your responses and welcomes. What a difference in attitude I have had this week having heard your thoughts and experiences. Fletch, I loved reading your blog and please know, right back at ya! I have been thinking so much about my obsession with my goal weight. Where did I get that number? Well, here it is: there is this woman who goes to all the same classes at my gym - one day she was in front of me on the treadmill, punching in her weight and I saw that she was 110. I had had recently gotten to my goal of 115. I barely paused to celebrate this and immediately decided I should be 110, too. I guess I saw that she was a shorty, too and didn't seem to have the belly that I still have so it seemed to make sense at the time. This week, as I'm thinking about all of this and reading your comments, I see how crazy it is to decide what my goal should be based on someone else's body.

SO I like the idea of using the scale to check in, but maybe accepting where I'm at for once! BMI is 22.73 and mostly I feel good about my body - I would say that my stomach is what still makes me crazy - I am so tired of pulling my shirt away from this area out of self-consciousness (though it is a lot better than 20 lbs ago...). Maybe I just need to need to learn to love that belly because my suspicion is that even if I lost 5 more lbs, it'd still be there!

Okay, I'm hoping this message doesn't just disappear - thank you so much for your inspiration, ladies.

Sophie
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 PM
FitDay Member

Sophie - I really just want to hug you after reading your response!!! I love your idea of using the scale as a tool but still accepting yourself. So powerful. Yay for you, and thanks for making me smile this morning!!! =)
Old 09-18-2010, 05:26 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks for YOUR inspiration!
Old 09-18-2010, 07:33 AM
FitDay Member

Fletch, i read your blog and it does make so much sense!!!! i have not reached my goal weight yet, but even before getting there, i adjusted it to a new lower number, since everyone's number was lower than mine!
i got the advice from everyone to let get to my goal weight, see how i feel there and then make adjustments if needs be, i think i should go back, and do exactly that!
now, i know better than to let the scale set my mood. i see the number, analyze it based on the food and exercise data that i have and decide if i should be concerened or not, most time i know it's just a fluctuation and no need to be concerned.
anyway, just wanted to tell you how much i enjoyed reading your post and what i learned from it.

there is something else that i think i should discuss here too, for some reason, i feel intimidated posting in this fourm. i'm trying to find out the reason. i mean you ladies are all so welcoming and supportive and all, so i don't understand why i am so hesitant and lack the self confidence to post here? any thought please let me know.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Hi farah, maybe it's just the notion of joining an already-established group? I'm very glad you started posting over here. You have a lot of common sense and I always enjoy reading your posts over on the other threads .
Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM
FitDay Member

I second what Cassie said Farah. It can sometimes feel like I'm this high school kid getting ready to sit at an already-established lunch table when I join a new "group". But people float in and out all the time and nobody's any "better" than anyone else. Thanks for being honest about how you feel!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:01 PM
FitDay Member

Thank You Cassie and Beth for making me feel better. I do have a lot of respect and admirations for both of you and other ladies of this thread, and i think it's as Beth said, an already established thread, where everybody knows each other and i just feel new and out of place. hopefully i get over this feeling soon, because i really like to be considered a member of this thread as well.