Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > WOMEN’S ONLY CORNER > Support group for just women
Sweet and Sassy in September, 100+ Ladies Club >

Sweet and Sassy in September, 100+ Ladies Club

Community
Notices

Sweet and Sassy in September, 100+ Ladies Club

Old 09-09-2010, 10:42 PM
FitDay Member

I was totally cracking up yesterday afternoon, because right before I logged on I started a pot of SOUP!!! Then I came on here and all of you were making soup too!!! How funny is that? We fat girls think alike. Anyway I just wanted to add that I never use canned broth or stock. My mother doesn't believe in it, so I never learned to use it in the kitchen. Her mother, my grandmother is a fabulous cook, so whatever grans says in the kitchen is like religion in my family, and grans wouldn't touch canned broth with a long stick, unless of course she canned it herself (since I've never used canned stock I really can't say weather or not she's right). Anyway canned stock and broth are basically water, salt and meat drippings, which if you use a crock pot like I do and simmer the whole bit all day, is fairly easy to reproduce without reaching for the canned stuff. I just sear the meat in olive oil, de-glaze the pan 2-3 times and then add a couple of cubes of low sodium bullion. I keep beef, chicken and veggy bullion in the house, so that pretty much covers all the basics. Yesterday's concoction was chicken-veggy-rice, which had corn, lima beans, celery, onions, carrots, baby red potatoes. YUMMMM...
Old 09-10-2010, 02:51 AM
FitDay Member

Post Great Minds think alike!

I agree, almeeker, we are all on the same page with the soup. I would also like to adopt your grandmother. Thanks for the instructions for 'from scratch' soup base. I will give it ago next batch.

I posted on FD 'FOOD' Forum how I figured out my recipe for FD nutrition/calories etc. Is this how everyone else does it? I just could not find anything on here or a decent one online. Is there another website that is good for making up the recipe. I think that someone here mentioned it before but I am to lazy...no, um, not enough time to look for it.

I'm off to work, talk at you later, Carren
Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Carren, I'd be willing to wager that the website you're thinking of is none other than Recipe Calculator
I love that site and use it all the time. Just enter in the quantities of the foods going in the recipe, divvy it up by servings, and there you be. Beautiful.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:28 AM
FitDay Member

Today I jogged on the treadmill for the first time ever.
Only for 5 minutes at 4.5 miles an hour, but at the end of it I thought my legs were going to fall off and my chest was going to burst. Built up a good sweat though! Not bad for a 260lb woman who 10 weeks ago couldn't run up the stairs without feeling light headed. Plus I proved to myself that my sports bra was a good investment.

Also booked for my first spin class called 'RPM' on Wednesday. I'm more than a little afraid, but I asked the class instructor if it would be too much for my fitness level but she said it would hurt, but I would survive. Fingers crossed I live through it.

Anyone else having any breakthroughs? Would love to hear them as they inspire me to push harder too!!!
Old 09-10-2010, 09:30 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb 10,000 Steps in Jamaica Man!

changeisgood29: Yep, that's the one - I now have it bookmarked, thanks!
WeightlossBoo: You are my fitness HERO! Running - my dream too! One of these days. I can now do hill(s)(2) without stopping so I can see running in my future...sigh.

Today is the 1st day of my virtual trek through Jamaica! It is sponsored by our local PCN (Primary Care Network - they work as lay people ? with local physicians) - (Red Deer Primary Care Network). It has a map of Jamaica and each day you put in the number of steps - off your pedometer - on the site and it will record how far you have gone. I didn't quite finish Hawaii last time, LOL.

I talked some of the gals at work to do it to - it's free - so I got them to register under 'Shoppers at Bower' (where we work) and I hope they all get excited about it as I have. Look at me - a role model for exercise!

So far - after a 4 hour shift on cash I only have 3768steps - so better get my face away from the computer and my feet on the pavement!

Later, Carren
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

I had 2 breakthroughs in exercise this week. One was, at cardio rehab, they always say, before weight training,' give me 2 jogging laps of the gym'.. well I had either walked leisurely or made a passing attempt at walking fast... today I actually jogged the track one time around.

Then at the gym, this trainer kept telling me to try this elipitcal machine.. it isnt like the usual one.. this one, the legs go out.. instead of back and forth.. its supposed to simulate roller blading. I only made it 2 1/2 minutes but it was a start and I was proud I tried it!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:35 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
I had 2 breakthroughs in exercise this week. One was, at cardio rehab, they always say, before weight training,' give me 2 jogging laps of the gym'.. well I had either walked leisurely or made a passing attempt at walking fast... today I actually jogged the track one time around.

Then at the gym, this trainer kept telling me to try this elipitcal machine.. it isnt like the usual one.. this one, the legs go out.. instead of back and forth.. its supposed to simulate roller blading. I only made it 2 1/2 minutes but it was a start and I was proud I tried it!
Well done for trying a new machine, and for jogging! Keep pushing and soon you'll be able to do both laps with breath to spare!!!

As for me, I've had a great week and a 4.5lb loss! According to FitDay I am now less than 100lbs to my highest healthy weight.

I was also complimented at the end of my Body Pump (weight training) class today by the trainer. I'm always the fattest person in there, but I refuse to give up and let anyone think that I can't do it or that I'm not serious. Though it was so hard that I was actually wretching at one stage. Love it!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

I'm still around... School started, I haven't been exercising as much, my eating has been all wonky (I've been treating myself daily). However, I am so proud of myself for not way over doing it. I still lost 1.8 lbs this week. Also, I have realized that eating really sweet stuff makes me feel really sick, so I have motivation to limit it LOL.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:31 AM
FitDay Member

WeightLossBoo posted...
As for me, I've had a great week and a 4.5lb loss! According to FitDay I am now less than 100lbs to my highest healthy weight.
Wow! WTG!!! Boo,, thats awesome! (Wretching may not be the best thing though LOL~)

ChunkyDunk78... I'm still around... School started, I haven't been exercising as much, my eating has been all wonky (I've been treating myself daily). However, I am so proud of myself for not way over doing it. I still lost 1.8 lbs this week. Also, I have realized that eating really sweet stuff makes me feel really sick, so I have motivation to limit it LOL.
Congrats on the loss!! And have a great time at school!!

Almeeker said...
Anyway I just wanted to add that I never use canned broth or stock. My mother doesn't believe in it, so I never learned to use it in the kitchen. Her mother, my grandmother is a fabulous cook, so whatever grans says in the kitchen is like religion in my family, and grans wouldn't touch canned broth with a long stick, unless of course she canned it herself (since I've never used canned stock I really can't say weather or not she's right). Anyway canned stock and broth are basically water, salt and meat drippings, which if you use a crock pot like I do and simmer the whole bit all day, is fairly easy to reproduce without reaching for the canned stuff.
See I used to do that too ( and god bless grandma) but the 'drippings' is 99% of the meat fat, so it's better ( for me) to use low fat or low sodium canned or boullion. But I am sure its a personal choice
Old 09-11-2010, 03:41 AM
FitDay Member

Ah yes, grans would use a whole chicken or a ham bone to make stock, and it is fattening that way, but I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts or lean cuts of beef for my soup plus a few cubes of low sodium bullion (from the health food store), so the fat I'm adding to my soup is basically the olive oil I use to sear the meat and whatever the meat adds. It's maybe not as thick and hearty as other techniques, but I'm hoping to be less thick and hearty myself...

I'm sure the canned stuff is great I watch Rachel Ray use gallons of it on her show, and I generally love her recipes. I was just trying to offer suggestions to those looking for a broth alternative. I once saw the Barefoot Contessa making veggy stock. She put like 3 pounds of veggies in water and simmered the whole bit for 3 hours, and then threw the veggies out ! Perfectly good veggies in the trash, and this was her plan from the get go! I just can't see me doing that, ever. We've lived on a tight budget for so long that even if we won the lottery, that still wouldn't happen in this house.

boo, congrats on the weight loss, that is soooo awesome!!! That must be some class if your retching.... I've retched after running a few times, but not weight lifting.

chunkydunk, I'm with you on the sweet stuff. Yesterday I was craving weird stuff, fruit snacks, granola, peanut butter, but at least 3 times I picked up something sweet and went "nawww that'll make me ralph". I'm very impressed with the fact that you aren't really on plan, but are also not out of control. This is something I know I struggle with and will continue to struggle with it for the rest of my life.

gamegal, great job on the skate machine, 2 1/2 minutes this week, maybe 4 next, it's all about baby steps isn't it? When I first started using the elliptical I could only go about 3-4 minutes and now I routinely go for an hour and I feel good when I'm done, not like I want to die.

Well I gotta go, yonder messy house beckons....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.