Notices

Sweet and Sassy in September, 100+ Ladies Club

Old 09-08-2010, 12:20 PM
FitDay Member

I sooo have beef issues. For starters I don't digest it easily. If I eat beef at dinner I sometimes lay in bed and belch and belch, because my stomach simply doesn't handle it well. I need it though, because on the flip side I get anemic easily, so red meat is a must 2-3 times/week, more when Aunt Flo visits. I try and minimize it to 2 times, because if I eat it 3 times I probably won't lose that week. But like you it's in the house, my folks raise beef cattle and so for us it's free, well I have to pay the butcher a couple of times/year, and run the deep freezer, but the freezer is usually chock full of it. So I try and get dibs on the younger steers, so it's very lean, and the beef we eat is hormone free and grass fed. Besides that DH and our little DD's LOVE IT! Me, I could easily be a vegetarian, if it weren't for the iron issue I probably would be.
Old 09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

What if you eat it ground? Still same story?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

Yep. Usually when I cook ground beef I brown it and it's crumbly, once the meat is cook through I pour hot water into the pan, bring it to a boil and drain it off. I do this twice usually because it seems to be the fat that is the problem. My biggest stomach troubles come from meat cooked in it's own fat. So rotisserie chicken is out, as is any meat cooked in a pressure cooker. I also have great difficulty digesting things that are deep fried or served swimming in grease. I know that I look for all the world like I'm a health food nut at the county fair, but it's really a matter of self preservation, because there have been days when I thought I might die from indigestion. Worse still were the days I wanted to...
Old 09-08-2010, 04:44 PM
FitDay Member

Default Need to chuck the Chuck!

Thanks for your info on the beef issue - maybe keep it to once a week, sometimes I really like a bit of juicy steak.

vsabino: Yep, it is the ground kind.
almeeker: Whoa, I thought I had it bad!
NTKoF: Welcome aboard!

I never thought of the grease factor - you could be on the money there. I usually do rinse my meat after frying it (but do not tell the DH) and since it was HIM who cooked the chili - of course, the more grease the better! I know I have problems with fried food for the same reason - penny drops - if I eat french fries all I want to do is sleep. If I combine those FF with dairy - like a glass of milk or milkshake I get so depressed I want to crawl under the blankets in fetal position. I am thinking the common denominator is the grease/fat. I do not have issues with olive oil, avocado or omega 3 (fish oil). Interesting. Back to my LGT and chicken and my yummy beans and mushrooms. Live and learn.

Last edited by carrenross; 09-08-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:49 PM
FitDay Member

Maybe that is why I am so gassy lol. I always thought I was just gassy but maybe it is because of stuff I am eatting. I went for DQ last night because it was my husbands b-Day. Yes I had a small and it was good...... but now I am up a pound. At least I know why and I know that it will come off because I will not go to DQ for a long long time again.

Anyway I was plus 1 pound but I have still lost 15 pounds so far and I am happy. I am going to see a dietician on Monday and cant wait to talk to her.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Soups ON!

Hi Ladies!

christineval: Great job on your 15# loss!

DQ - my DHs' obsession. I went once this summer with him and had a small cone. I then came home and checked the online nutrition facts for it, needless to say, I now check BEFORE I go out , so glad I went for the small. All things in moderation. Next year, I will make sure I plan my day more carefully and then it will be a nice 'guilt-free' treat.

Soup: Fall has arrived here. The leaves have turned colour and the rain has settled in with the cold winds. I love it! It is time to bring out the soup pot.

My question to you ladies is this - broth.

Do you make your own broth? How? I worry about the sodium content even in the low sodium broth you can buy - should I? Should I just add water to it to lessen it? Will it taste the same? Do you have any good veggie filled soup recipes? I usually just throw stuff in a pot with broth but I want to be more focused this Fall so I need some help here. What spices do you use? Can a person eat to much soup?

carren
Old 09-09-2010, 01:34 AM
FitDay Member

My favorite soup (homemade) is Vegetable (with or without beef) You could also make chicken I suppose....

You can buy broth low sodium or fat free... lol unforutnately not together.

OK so I, (using beef), briefly! sear the meat in a pan to seal in juices. ( For chicken, no need to sear.) Take a large pot of water, add the meat, basil, parsley, garlic, oregeno (anything I can find) and dump some in. Add either your broth or, I add beef ( or chicken) boullion. Boil for about 45 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop up a head of cabbage into bite sized pieces. After 45 minutes add 1 or 2 bags of frozen mixed veggies ( depending how much soup you are making) and the cabbage and 1 or 2 large cans of diced canned tomatoes and one 8 oz can of tomato sauce. Cook another 30 - 40 mins (until cabbage is tender). It is really hard to ruin this, so relax and play with the ingredients. (With the chicken version, you do not have to add the tomatos, just the cabbage and mixed veggies.

I always make a huge pot of it and then freeze as much as I can. Makes a quick good meal in a hurry.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to the 100+ ladies club NTKoF, and congratulations on your great success thus far! Woo hoo! That laptop lunchbox sound really cool. Hey, do whatever works, right? If you're already losing without much exercise, water, etc., just imagine how amazing you'll do when you start incorporating more of those things into your lifestyle! Take it at a comfortable pace, and stay the course -- you're on your way!

@Almeeker - Wow those smoothie suggestions sound so good! Especially the frozen coffee one. I am definitely gonna try that and will tell DH you are to thank.

Speaking of 'beef', I love how grass fed beef tastes! There is such a difference and I never realized it until I tried some. While I'm not a huge meat eater, DH is, so he likes to have it at least 2x a week. But I asked him to do no more than that -- and he is obliging.

Well the scale gave me a 1# loss this morning, so I am just 2 lbs. away from my next mini-goal on 9/15. If I make it, great, but I am not sure my body will want to cough up another 2#'s in the next 6 days. We'll see... no pressure!

And although hubby doesn't use FitDay, he has been eating better and exercising more to support me and help himself feel better. I'm proud of him because he has lost a total of 20 lbs. since we began on 8/1 and we spent time cleaning out our closet of 'big clothes' a few days ago. It's really fun, and a big help, to have your spouse on board with your goals. I know many people don't have that luxury, or have families with different food interests. To those of you in that situation -- "I really admire your willpower and efforts to stay on track! You are amazing! Keep it up!"

Smoosh
Old 09-09-2010, 05:29 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Soups' on...well, almost!

Gamegal: Thanks for the recipe. I have written it down.
Smoosh: Grain fed..hmm, I do live in cattle country! Go Alberta Beef! LOL I will try to locate some local grown (almeeker) and check out the difference in taste. We do have elk, deer & buffalo farms nearby as well. ROAD TRIP!!!

Planned my walk to end at the grocery store where I did find out what you said, Gamegal, either low fat OR low sodium; so I went with the sale one and saved $6.00 and bought LS Chicken (900ml) as the base. I bought potato, yam & onion. I might not put it all in the pot buy maybe. I will figure out the recipe first and check the nutri-facts before I continue. I bought the DH a nice fresh French Loaf to go with it. My carnivore was not please to see NO MEAT when I got home - LOL - so I will cook up some LGBeef and he can add as much as he likes....later. I already have my LGTurkey cooked and will do the same. Slow cooker, here I come!

Note to self: Always eat BEFORE you go on walk! I only had granola bar before and took an orange - 1 hour into it my blood sugar start to drop and I ended up in a restaurant (15 minutes later) for breakfast. Had a breakfast tortilla (eggs, onion, peppers, monterey cheese) with fresh fruit and fresh salsa. I was stuffed 1/2 way thru (but continued to eat it all ) It turned out quite nice to have a break, read the newspaper & leisurely breakfast.

Apron on and ready to cook, Carren
Old 09-09-2010, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

I forgot to add that if you find both ( low sodium and low fat) you can buy half of one and half the other and it cuts both in half of what it would normally be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.