Notices

Sweet and Sassy in September, 100+ Ladies Club

Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by harpegcanuck
Suggestions for the optimal elliptical mix of workouts are welcome.
Sorry I can't help you on this one. I get up at 4:45am, bleary eyed and dopey, throw on my workout clothes, grab a banana and a bottle of water and drag myself up on to the thing and just go. After I'm warmed up I usually end up going at exactly the same tempo as the music I'm listening to.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by harpegcanuck
Suggestions for the optimal elliptical mix of workouts are welcome. The elliptical we picked up has a 30 minute resistance training circuit designed to help build muscle and confuse the muscles.
Heya,
On the ellipticals we have at the gym there is a program called 'Cross Country' which is brilliant for confusing your muscles.

It's basically made up of the following elements (based on a 10 minute workout);
15 seconds resistance 1 - Pedalling forwards
30 seconds resistance 3 - Pedalling forwards
30 seconds resistance 6 - Pedalling forwards
60 seconds resistance 9 - Pedalling forwards
30 seconds resistance 3 - Pedalling backwards
30 seconds resistance 6 - Pedalling backwards
60 seconds resistance 9 - Pedalling backwards
15 seconds resistance 3 - Pedalling forwards
60 seconds resistance 9 - Pedalling forwards
15 seconds resistance 3 - Pedalling backwards
30 seconds resistance 9 - Pedalling backwards
15 seconds resistance 3 - Pedalling backwards
Then a 5 minute 'Cool down' on resistance 1 if you've finished your workout.

I'm sure you could simulate something similar on your own elliptical, and you can increase/decrease time and intensity to suit your fitness level.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:30 PM
FitDay Member

I weighed in for the month yesterday, and I'm down 4 pounds for August. Yay! I'm slowing down a bit, but that's about what I expected. One pound a week is pretty normal for me. As long as it is still heading in the right direction, I am happy.

I'm going out of town for the long weekend, so I'm sure the food will be a challenge. I'm hoping to get in more walking to balance out all the meals eaten out. I have the veggies, fruit, string cheese and crackers packed for the flight, so at least I will start out healthy!

Great job to everyone who is keeping on. You can do it!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
FitDay Member

Congrats on your loss, Zootnarf. Btw, what an awesome attitude to be thankful for every ounce gone, instead of decrying a loss not deemed big enough. I really needed to read this, as lately I've been feeling rather overwhelmed by how many more pounds I have to go, and that I typically "only" lose about 1.5#/week. Thanks for putting it in perspective. I definitely "only" feel better.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
FitDay Member

Yay! I'm glad my post encouraged you. That, in turn, makes me feel more encouraged, too! Time really does go by so quickly. When you are struggling through each day to eat the right foods and get your exercise, sometimes it seems like it is taking forever to lose 1 pound. But then I think of how quickly the last few months have really gone by, and all of a sudden that 1 pound a week has turned into 30 pounds gone!

One pound a week gone is also more than it seems. If you weren't on a healthy track that week, then it could easily have been one or two pounds gained, and that's a big 3 pound difference! I fear that shows like the Biggest Loser have skewed our perception of what a "good" weight loss is for a week. I love the concept of the show, and I'm so excited for the contestants to be healthier. But I get so sad when I see them crying because they "only" lost 5 or 6 pounds that week. It's just not realistic for most of us to lose that much in a week, much less the 15 or 20 pounds I have seen in some cases.

Anyway, enough soapbox. Keep on, keeping on, mighty women! We might get there slowly, but we WILL get there if we keep at it!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 AM
FitDay Member

Well done Zoot! *cheers*

I hope everyone is doing well! TGIF!
Last night I had a late night munchie attack and indulged in some leftover rice from dinner. Honestly, I didn't even feel guilty about it -- nor concernced that it would become repeat behavior. Here I am, an entire month after recommitting to a lifestyle of better food choices & fitness, and I'm feeling confident and strong.

Something is so different, mentally, this time around. I feel assured of my success.

If I only knew the magic formula that triggers the brain to 'believe in yourself, without a shadow of doubt', I would have done this many, many years ago. But I'm happy I finally came around.

This weekend I think my hubby and I will be going to a healthy food festival... weather permitting. You pay $10 to get in, and you get to sample all kinds of fresh (mostly organic) cuisine, can purchase items from the farmers market, take brief cooking courses, enjoy some lively entertainment, etc. Sounds like a good deal right?

If we do go and I learn anything cool & exciting, I'll be sure to share it here!

Take care everyone, chat with you soon.

Smoosh
Old 09-03-2010, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

Managed 3 fitness classes yesterday and a cardio workout with only minor soreness in my thighs this morning. I'm also comfortably in a pair of non-stretchy trousers that I wasn't able to pull up over my behind 8 weeks ago. I think it's now safe to say that I've dropped my first dress size.

Smoosh, I think it's great that you're not feeling like you've toppled off the wagon by having a cheeky munch session. I feel a little bit guilty when I make a bad food choice, but end of the day the only person I'm cheating is myself, and the next day I'll be straight out to the gym to work it off.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:55 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah Boo, this is a completely 'different' attempt than my previous efforts in years past to lose weight. I just feel confident that I can be successful (whereas I used to often worry about slipping up), I feel content with my food choices (when before I always felt frustrated & deprived), and I feel motivated to move (...that still astounds me! I have always been really sedentary).

I wish I knew what magically transformed my mindset. I know people say you will do something when you're 'ready' -- but those times in the past I really felt ready and wanted it badly. Though that is something different now as well. While I want to get fit & healthy, and it's a priority to me, I don't want it so badly that I'm obsessing over it. Perhaps that's the key. To find balance.

Anyway, good news! The scale numbers dropped by 2 more pounds this morning. (Thank you fat blasting elves for visiting me in my sleep! )

We're about to leave for that special event I mentioned in a previous post -- so will check back in later, or tomorrow morning.

Enjoy the weekend ladies! You're all fabulous!
*hugs*
Smoosh
Old 09-04-2010, 01:43 AM
FitDay Member

Cool Made the (uphill) grade

Smooch: hope you have/had fun at your event with the DH.
Boo: I am amazed at you (and everyone else) with your focus on fitness.

My claim to fitness fame was yesterday when I walked up the hill from downtown without stopping! I remember when I would stop at least 3-4 times and turn around to 'check the view', if you get my drift.

Also, I notice yesterday a mental shift. As soon as I decided to go for a walk, told the DH, and started out my entire body relaxed. It was such a nice walk. I actually toured a few neighbourhoods I have never seen before. Took a break and went to a matinee - halfway point and only $3! LOL - walked home, made dinner and then headed out again around the trailer park just to get my steps up and over 10,000 for the day. Gosh, I like days off - when nothing really HAS to be done. The bonus of my body/mind relaxing just knowing I was out walking was an eye opener. I wonder why?

Have a great weekend ladies, Carren
Old 09-04-2010, 08:17 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Carren.
I do enjoy my exercise, but because of a bank holiday and extra work commitments I only managed about half my usual routine. The result was an overall 1lb loss for the week. I'm definitely disappointed with this but it has motivated me to work harder this week for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.