Notices

Tricky measurements!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Tricky measurements!

I learned the importance of getting a scale, and measuring cup today!

I realize that the reason my weight went up was due to horrible miscalculations on my part when it came to calculating calories on certain Turkish dishes I have been eating. I learned today when researching that some of the meals I had been eating-though small portions, are extremely calorie dense and I had no idea.

So, I was estimating based off of what I knew similar dishes were in the USA...boy was that silly of me..I realized for example, that one evening we had these sigara Börek, which are like rolled pastries with feta cheese inside. Even though I had only eaten a few I had gotten half my calories for the day, and didn't know. I though since I had only eaten 3 or 4 small ones that it was only 300 calories max when it was actually a LOT more. Well, now I'm armed with that knowledge, and I am thinking of searching for a scale and measuring cup to help me out more. I do know one of my glasses is 6 Floz, but Measuring solids is a bit harder without a measuring glass.

I try to base the fact that the palm of our hand would be about 3oz for meat, but when it comes to other stuff I don't know what to do.

Well, I learned a good lesson. It was a setback, but better late than never. Time to pick myself up, dust myself off, and get to jogging..
Old 09-10-2010, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

I realized that my bowls are WAY too big. A bowl of cereal is really 4 servings!!!!

When I get married, purchasing smaller dishes is at the top of my list!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Luckygir15
I realized that my bowls are WAY too big. A bowl of cereal is really 4 servings!!!!

When I get married, purchasing smaller dishes is at the top of my list!
I've noticed that wherever I go to buy things like dishes, the things they call "cereal bowls" are gargantuan. Just like what you are saying. Same thing with dinner plates. Sure, some people like to have giant bowls of cereal (so it can be soggy by the time you get to the bottom ), but wouldn't it be nice to have the option of buying a bowl that holds, say, one cup of cereal? I wouldn't even care if they didn't label it "cereal bowl". Why not call it "small serving bowl"?

Actually, you can get bowls that hold a cup of cereal, now that I think about it. They all have pictures of Dora the Explorer on them, though. Or Thomas the Tank Engine. Oh, and they are not microwavable.

Can you tell I've had many fruitless shopping expeditions for cereal bowls?

Crimpet-- I hear you on the measurements. I've made the same mistake many times. I now have a kitchen scale, and I generally prefer to weigh things rather than measure. That way, no matter how finely the food is chopped, or how much it's squashed or fluffed, you know how much you are getting.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by elderwanda
Actually, you can get bowls that hold a cup of cereal, now that I think about it. They all have pictures of Dora the Explorer on them, though. Or Thomas the Tank Engine. Oh, and they are not microwavable.
That made me LOL.
It's too true though. Bowls and most dinner plates are massive! Inevitably leading to big portion sizes if you're not careful.
It may seem a little embarassing, but using kiddies bowls are definitely the way to go. PS: I use melamine bowls in the microwave all the time. Am I not meant to or something?!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 AM
FitDay Member

I hear ya both! Hmm..Think anyone would mind a dinner party with Dora the Explorer as the dish decor? Common! lol I remember borrowing my kids bowls a few times when I was still in America because they were just so darn cute, and so much better for realistic portions! I wonder why the dishes got so huge!

They have a 'prank' tea glass my husband got for his father on fathers day. They were all joking about how funny it was because it's so large. I was almost embarrased to say that it was a normal sized cup in America for coffee. It's one of those Coffe cup/soup bowl combos. lol

Ahh...it's good stuff..Any recommendations on kitchen scales? I imagine they are hard to find or expensive?
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Crimpet
Ahh...it's good stuff..Any recommendations on kitchen scales? I imagine they are hard to find or expensive?
I bought a really inexpensive one at Wal Mart for $5. If is an old fashion kitchens scale. It is small, but does the job. I put a plate or bowl on it, zero it out, then weigh the food. You can find fancier models there as well as Target.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:40 AM
FitDay Member

Luckily, I have small kids, so I can use their dishes without embarassment . I have some little tupperware-like bowls with lids that hold 4 oz/half a cup that I use in my lunch all the time, they're pastel plastic with teddy bears on them. I bought them in the baby food aisle at the supermarket. I bought my food scale at Target. I want a new set of dishes too, one with dessert bowls and salad plates because they tend to be smaller than soup bowls and dinner plates. I think the main reason America is so overweight is the ridiculousness of our portion sizes. What used to be a fast food medium soft drink is now a child size Is it any wonder we don't know what we should be eating??