Notices

Emotional eater?

Old 01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
FitDay Member

Default Emotional eater?

Hi, going through kind of a rough time and was wondering if like me do you turn to food for comfort? I normally do to- but this time I've lost all desire for food even though my stomach is growling? Been making myself eat though while I work through my issues which are difficult and not going to resolve anytime soon. Maybe I'll journal that way I can think out strategies?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:38 AM
FitDay Member

i have had problems with emotional eating. Always ask yourself are you:

H-ungry
A- angry
L-lonely
T-tired

(or add your trigger emotions to the above list and put on fridge-they do not have to spell out HALT, but you get the idea)
If you are really hungry go ahead, and if the others apply journal. Hang in there

Last edited by Lynzatn; 01-18-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:34 PM
FitDay Member

Hi,

Sorry you are going through a rough time. Hope things get better for you soon. In the meantime, stay strong and take extra good care of yourself... I have found journalling to help alot through tough times.

I am an emotional eater. I think this is something I developed when I was a kid, to cope in a dysfunctional family. In hindsight, I have seen my weight climb during different periods in my life as an adult, when there has been extra stress due to work, personal problems, losing loved ones..etc.

Anger, lonliness, being tired...all are triggers for me. I'm focussing on remaining very self aware anytime I am dealing with food, and questioning if I am really hungry before I eat. HALT! is a good thing to keep in mind, thanks for posting that Lyn. Aww, cute smily by the way...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 PM
FitDay Member

That's a neat idea HALT...I like it Thanks!
Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Shel and Lyn your support means alot You know how they say things will look better tomorrow well that is what I think too! Sometimes if you wait a day things don't seem quite so bad ya know? Thanks Again