FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   I'm new to "doing it the right way" (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1785-im-new-doing-right-way.html)

Deanna0404 08-17-2010 07:07 AM

I'm new to "doing it the right way"

I have done all the diets before. I have always been up and down in my weight. I had success on diet pills only to gain it all back and more. It has taken two years (and baby #4) for it to all come back and I know it will take just as long to come off. I can use all the support I can get. I also need suggestions on foods to eat. I am not finding anything that I seem to really like and would want to eat again. I am a believer that you should enjoy what you eat. Anyway, I am at 224 right now and would like to be 160 or maybe less. So if anyone has some suggestions or help, please feel free!
Thanks!

smooshmcsmeesh 08-17-2010 07:25 AM

Hi there Deanna! Your story is one many of us can relate to. =) Thanks for posting and letting us know you're here.

As for food choices, I agree, you have to enjoy what you're eating or it will be hard for you to stick with it for the long term. Personally, I don't cook, and I used to seek out 'convenience' in the past for my meals. That led me to fast foods and processed garbage. I never got enough veggies & fruits in my daily diet, and that's something I've been changing AND really enjoying more than I thought I would.

My challenging foods have always been breads, rice & pasta, and while I still eat them, I've substituted white flour for whole wheat grains. I also am paying much closer attention to portions & measurements. Something that requires a little effort, but has big payoffs.

Finally, I cut out soda & limited alcohol, as those empty calories can really sabotage your weight loss efforts. I drink lots of water, herbal teas, decaf coffee (I need my coffee lol) and soy milk.

It really is about 'choices' and 'thinking'. Our lives are hectic and most of the time we're just trying to get from here-to-there as fast as possible. I've decided to make my health & fitness a priority after many, many years and previous attempts to "diet". I feel ready now, and I'm excited about that.

The tools here at FitDay are so useful. While logging everything you eat may feel like a chore at first -- commit to do it! Everything that goes in your mouth goes in the log. It will open your eyes to what your current habits are like and show you where you can improve.

And the forums have so many nice people that are willing to help support you and give advice. I wish you lots of success as you tackle this thing once and for all! YOU CAN DO IT! :D

jespar30 08-17-2010 08:43 AM

Hi Deanna!

For me, minimizing or nixing simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, and sweets has really helped me to drop some lbs. faster than I expected. Drinking LOTS of water is essential. I think spreading your food intake out over the day helps boost your metabolism. For me, it also helps to keep what I eat simple & to eat mostly the same things.

Some ideas for things to eat:

Breakfast
-scrambled or fried eggs (or egg whites + 1 yolk)
-oatmeal w/ fruit
-a whole grain cereal w/ milk (1 serving according to the box)

Mid Morning Snack
-yogurt
-nuts
-raw veggies
-fruit

Lunch
-salad w/ lots of veggies
-can of tuna
-chicken
-beans

Mid-day Snack
-fruit

Dinner
-breakfast for dinner (depending on what you had for breakfast)
-chicken
-fish
-stir fry
-sausage

Saturday is my "cheat" day, which means I'm more lax. Maybe go to a restaurant, or have bread/pasta/sweets. Still use portion control.

I hope that might help get you started :)

Deanna0404 08-18-2010 01:41 AM

Looking for things to eat!

Thank you both. I need all the help i can get. How do you feel about the frozen meals? I am noticing that the diet meals don't have much less calories than the regular ones. The fat content is less though.

I am not a meat person and having a hard time with that. Let me rephrase that, I don't like plain meat - grilled chicken, beef, etc. I do like it mixed with things, like in chinese food, or or spaghetti - see that's my downfall. :(

I have to find easy meals that i like or this isn't going to work.

I also don't have a clue as to how much fat is too much on a daily basis or what protein I should have. I guess I will get online today and do some research.

Anyway, thats for all the support! I need it!

evalee24 08-18-2010 02:10 AM

deanna0404
i also don't have a clue as to how much fat is too much on a daily basis or what protein I should have. I guess I will get online today and do some research.

would love to know the answer to this question too:)
i have tried googling with not much success.
im eating the way "nature intended it" (basically cuting out processed foods) at the moment ( fruit vedge meat nuts)
and i find that my fats are quite high even thoe im only consuming 1200 calories.

each day i learn new things and change my life style the best i can.
i have 50lbs to loose till im at my healthy weight range.
any help you guys offer i will take on :)

good luck every one

smooshmcsmeesh 08-18-2010 04:46 AM

The protein/carb/fat ratio is different for everyone. Some people here use the pie chart graph to vary those three areas and see what works best for them. Some people keep it equal, others shoot for no more than 20-30% fat per day.

What I've learned through my friends here at FitDay, and from researching online, is that your health & fitness goals really determine that balance. Everyone is different... so consider your personal goals, your lifestyle, what level of convenience you require in meal planning and working out, and go from there.

As for frozen meals, many are packed with sodium, so watch out for that. I was never one for prepping food ahead of time, but now I try to do that so I can have convenience & accessibility to healthier food choices throughout the week.

Work to change your mentality. If you feel frustrated by having to shop differently, prep food, actually 'think' about & 'read' labels -- ask yourself why it bothers you? Aren't those actions all gonna lead to a healthier you? Aren't you worth that effort? Of course you are! Try not to think of it as a 'chore' but rather as an 'opportunity' to grow into the person you really are inside. For every negative thought you have, recognize it and immediately counter it with a positive thought. Your brain needs to be retrained as much as your body. That was the part that always held me back in the past, when I yo-yo dieted. Physically I realized a bit of success, but mentally I never trained myself, hence, the regains always occurred.

This time is different... and I know it can be for you too. :)

Best wishes ladies! Keep posting and never give up on yourself!

jespar30 08-18-2010 05:38 AM

@Deanna

If you can avoid the frozen dinners, it's probably better since most are heavily processed. I do enjoy one of the Amy's Indian dinners every so often, though :)

Re: Protein, I've read that you can aim for 1g/lb of body weight, but I never come close to that. I just try to make choices that have high protein - canned tuna, canned beans, meat, seafood, greek yogurt, and eggs. If 30% or more calories come from protein, I consider that good (Fitday will tell you the %)

If you need meat mixed in, stir frys are a great and simple solution! Just heat some oil in a pan, add some garlic and/or chilies, saute the meat (chicken or shrimp are great) and then add whatever veggies you have on hand... a sliced carrot, broccoli, peas, onions. Add a little soy sauce or some other sauce. Easy peasy. Makes good leftovers.

Omelets are good too... scrambled eggs, veggies (peppers, onions, spinach), a little ham, and some cheese.

Mix a can of tuna with a little mayo/mustard and add some thawed frozen peas & add to some salad-in-a-bag.

Progresso makes some low calorie soups that are pretty tasty too (I like Santa Fe Chicken & Rice)