Notices

5-15 Pounders Weekly Check-in for 8/17/10

Old 08-17-2010, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Arrow 5-15 Pounders Weekly Check-in for 8/17/10

...a little late on the draw this morning, but how was your week?
Old 08-17-2010, 02:22 AM
FitDay Member

Hello Ladies!

Last week was good for me. We had our vacation of camping (not a big fan of sleeping in a tent), hiking, and biking. This weekend my hubby and I were back home and stocked up on lots of yummy organic produce and meats. I have been doing well except for the occasional snacking on nuts. My weight has been staying between 138 and 139. It's below 140 so I'm happy. This week I'm back in my classroom getting ready for my new batch of middle schoolers starting next week. I'm trying to keep my stress low since that causes me a lot of trouble with my weight. I have stayed off sweets and junk almost all summer so I am hoping that will keep me away from the junk at work. So far no cravings.

I hope everyone has a good week. Take care.

Amber
Old 08-17-2010, 03:08 AM
FitDay Member

Good morning ladies. The only loss this week is that my chest has decreased some. Hard to tell exactly how much because they aren't exactly firm. Otherwise, holding my own and still exercising. Had an indulgent weekend, but I didn't do as badly as I could have. It was worth it, anyway.

I must share this exercise. Tried to share last week but for some reason it didn't post and I didn't feel like typing it over again. This is such a simple exercise that I had to do a couple of weeks ago and it is sooo effective, total body. It is called the inch worm. Stand up straight, touch the floor. Do not bend knees. Walk you hands out to plank, do one push up. Then walk your feet up to your hands, do not bend knees (try anyway), repeat. Continue, I don't know, the length of your room and do as many reps as you can. We did three "lines" the length of our gym. One line = back and forth. It stretches, it works the muscles everywhere and is so simple to do.

Have a good week, everyone.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:20 AM
FitDay Member

Almost to my goal & looking forward to setting a new goal after that. It has been really empowering to have this kind of control over something so huge in my life. It's nice to feel self consciousness about my body slipping away.

I have my food down pat & don't have issues with hunger or cravings. It is discouraging to have bf making pies all the time and trying to get me to try them or offering me things that I have eliminated from my diet. But I have been successful.

@agarfield - Good job on avoiding the junk all summer. I find the longer you stay away from junk, the easier it gets (kind of like smoking )
Old 08-17-2010, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on a good week, everyone! Amber, I have one middle schooler; can't imagine what it would be like to have classrooms full! Hope you have a great year.

Michelle, you lost me with "don't bend your knees." Guess I should add some flexibility training into my exercise routine, huh? Thanks for sharing the exercise; I'm sure it's a killer!

jespar30, I am happy for you! I had the same revelation this summer...how freeing that was! Way to go on being almost at goal!

I had a good week. I'm back down to pre-vacation weight and therefore learned that brief damage done can be undone, rather than used as an excuse to give up.

I'm working more on the details now, like paying attention to fiber intake and the proportions of the different kinds of fats. And glory be...hubs is now on board full speed, exercising and eating MUCH better! It's cool to have a partner. We're working on juggling the food budget to include more organic stuff and grass-fed beef (some of those things are insanely expensive) and juggling the time budget to cook more and avoid processed stuff (hence the addictive granola bars of last weekend). I'm watching my 13-year-old count out a serving instead of shoving his hand into a box of crackers and gobbling, and ask what's high in protein when he comes in after practice. They really do learn by example...teenagers AND husbands .
Old 08-17-2010, 10:18 AM
FitDay Member

Cassie, congrats on getting back to where you want to be! Isn't true that loved ones pay much more attention to what we do rather than what we say. Way to go setting a good example for your family!

Jespar, sounds like you've been successful in resisting your BF's culinary skills-good for you! Maybe down the road you'll find yourself in Cassie's situation with your BF watching his nutrition. Anyways, I'm impressed because my head plays with me with there's lots of "danger foods" in my home.

Michelle, the "inch worm" sounds great! I may have to add it to my workout when I'm looking to add something new at home.

Amber, I am so impressed that you have managed an entire summer (well, it's still here officially) eating healthfully and avoiding junk! Though I do allow myself the occasionally splurge, sometimes it's not easy getting back on track. Sounds like you hit on a surefire way to avoid the sugar highs/lows that come with "cheat" meals. Yae!!!!

Okay, my goal last week was to get back on track with logging my nutrition and I'm happy to report that I did. Exercise has been on track. This week I'm going to focus on getting those 24 grams of daily fiber and keeping fats to no more than 25-30% of my daily calories (darn almond addiction!)

Hope everyone has a great week ahead of them!