Notices

One more question Should we eat more fat or more protein

Old 08-14-2010, 04:24 AM
FitDay Member

Default One more question Should we eat more fat or more protein

Just trying to get this right.......thanks.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:31 AM
FitDay Member

I'm no expert, and I would think it depends on your individual needs/goals, but fat (even good fats) should be limited.

There are many people here that have knowledgeable advice to share about diet & nutrition, hopefully they'll respond with a more detailed answer for you. =)
Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks. Somehow I seem to eat more fat than protein and don't want too.

Like avacodas have more fat than protein?
Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

I don't eat much avocado, so I'm not certain . I did find this link that has some information that might help. There is a lot of information on the Net -- probably not all of it accurate -- but do a google search and you'll probably get some good results!

WikiAnswers - How many grams of fat should you eat per day

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyou...at_protein.htm

Last edited by smooshmcsmeesh; 08-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:38 AM
FitDay Member

Getting fats from healthy foods (like avocados) isn't exactly a bad thing. But at the same time, I would think you'll need to eat less of those fattier healthy foods and go for others. So have avocados, nuts, and peanut butter sometimes, but maybe not all in the same day.

You might also want to try lowering fat and upping your protein intake just to see how your body responds. Everyone is different so try different things and see how you respond.

I personally like the way I feel when my diet consists of a protein/carb/fat ratio of 40/40/20; meaning I get roughly 40 percent of my food from protein and 40 from carbs and about 20 from fats. Use the pie chart feature at the bottom of the food log to figure out where your ratios are at and then move the numbers around until you feel good.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:43 AM
FitDay Member

Wow. Boy am I gonna have to find some protein and fast. My fat has been way out of portion.

Protein where art thou???
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
FitDay Member

I love love love avocadoes, peanut butter, and walnuts. And cheese. I really have to watch those, because while they're healthy, they're also high fat. Eggs and egg whites are great sources of protein. I make scrambled eggs with 2 whites and 1 whole egg several times a week, sometimes I throw in random veggies. I haven't done that lately because I'm getting plenty of fruits and veggies right now since it's garden season. Canned tuna is a good choice, water packed of course. Throw it right on top of a salad. Hard boiled eggs or rinsed canned beans (whatever variety you like) can punch up a salad too. If my protein is low at the end of the day, I'll grab a few slices of deli lunch meat. Boar's head is the brand I buy, they're gluten free and have several low fat options. I feel best when I can keep the pie chart in even 1/3's as much as possible, though that's difficult. I try to keep protein up, carbs down, and let the fat fall where it wants to.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

I always have Boar's Head around, too...it's a great fix when I am at the end of the day and need to up the protein without upping the carbs and fat. I like Greek yogurt for protein, too, in addition to what Lizzy mentioned. I am not an egg person at all, but I usually try to start in the AM with Kashi Go Lean; it has 13 grams protein per serving. Other go-to's for me are lowfat cheese (Cabot makes a 75% fat free version), almonds, and pumpkin seeds.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default You might already be doing this, but...

I'm no nutrition expert, but I'd say you should judge the quality of the fats you're getting while increasing your overall intake of high(er) protein foods. Getting more foods that are high in protein AND low in saturated fat and trans fats should be your game plan. Foods like beans, some nuts, spinach, broccoli, peas, fish (including fatty salmon, tuna, white fish, and shrimp), lean cuts of meat (like white meat chicken, turkey and even pork loin), greek yogurt, eggs and cottage cheese are all relatively low calorie foods that provide a good source of protein and are low(er) in saturated fat. In other words, you might be able to use them to bump your macronutrient percentages back into line. You might also consider taking a protein supplement (possibly mix it into a greek yogurt smoothie??).

Overall, though, I'd say don't worry about the fat you're intaking from whole foods too much (especially non-animal sources like that avocado!), instead work to cut fat by nixing any processed foods you may be eating. There's no set rule ot ideal for macronutrient percentages -- some people do great by focusing on a low fat diet while others feel best when their fats are at about the same percent as their protein. Just thinking out loud here, but to me this sometimes sounds like a preference for quantity (volume) of food and quality (using that term very loosely, meaning how much a smaller portion satiates you). For example, people that munch a high volume veggie-based diet all day (lower in fats and animal proteins, higher in complex carbs) versus those that eat more oils and meats (higher protein/fat, lower carb) with longer intervals between meals might achieve similar goals. I'd encourage you to play around with it. Just my two cents.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:01 AM
FitDay Member

oops, sorry Cassie and Lizzy -- didn't mean to step on toes or repeat anything. You guys both posted while I was writing! Great info as always from you two

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.