FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Support group for just women (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/)
-   -   Urgh, help? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/support-group-just-women/1771-urgh-help.html)

WeightlossBoo 08-13-2010 10:57 PM

Urgh, help?

This is an odd question, and I'm sorry if anyone is offended but rather than waste my GP's time for no reason I thought I'd ask the lovely ladies here about this.

You see, story is that I'm on a mini-pill (contraceptive) that stops periods in most women. The same was so for me, no periods for the last 5 years. Until 3 weeks ago then out of the blue; a period.
Now that in itself wasn't a major headache. I didn't get any cravings, no apparent water retention, cramps etc.. The thing is, my period seems here to stay. Yup, that's right. It's not left yet, and is more than over staying it's welcome.
The worse thing seems to be that while it's light, I've in the last 3 days been having those normal period problems. So I've gained 2lbs in water weight, I have cramps, cravings and I'm getting miserable.

I just wanted to know if anyone had been through this, or know why it may be that my periods have kick-started and not stopped yet. It's very frustrating, and even more so that it's messed up my weigh-in this week. :mad:
Help?!

smooshmcsmeesh 08-14-2010 02:05 AM

Hey Boo! *hugs*

I have experienced this issue too. Irregular periods can be brought on by excess weight. I went for many months, even over a year, without a cycle. I talked to my physician about it and he had put me on medication to start AND stop them. It was quite a hassle. However it is important that you have your periods and flush your body of that build up. While you're of child-bearing age (pre-menopause) and losing weight, you'll probably notice your body getting more regular again with the cycle. Because you've gone so long without it, your body is probably just catching up so to speak, but definitely consult your physician.

My periods are still irregular (not monthly) but more frequent than before. They aren't nearly as heavy as they were during my teens/college years, where the cramps would incapacitate me for a day or two. I'm thankful for that!

mandab1 08-14-2010 02:21 AM

I feel your pain! I'm not on a pill but I have the birth control implant. I've not really had a period for probably 2 years, just some spotting, but last month my body decided to have a period... and it lasted for over a month. I actually started having symptoms of iron definciency. It was incredibly frustrating. I called my doctor and she told me that irregular periods were common with the implant or any bc for that matter and that I had basically "just gotten lucky" over the last couple of years of not having one.

Maybe you've just been "getting lucky" over the past 5 years but I still think it would be a good idea to call your doctor, just to be sure.