Notices

Whats a good work out dvd?

Old 08-06-2010, 09:30 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Whats a good work out dvd?

I have two small children and just cant afford a pricey gym membership that offers child care. I think some work out dvds would be the best way for me to lose weight. Can you girls suggest a good one, or any other ideas for working out at home with little ones? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Default LOL, can you bench press kids?

Hi rlynn...everyone likes different things, so you may want to try to check some out of the library and see what you like, or if you have FitTV through your cable, that is also an option. However, I can recommend the 30 Day Shred from Jillian Michaels...it is quick (great if you have kids!) and gives you pretty quick results, judging from my experience and that of others who have posted about it. It has three levels and within each level there are modifications to make it easier and harder. It has three circuits and each circuit includes 3 minutes strength, two minutes cardio, then one minute abs. If those of us who have done it are any indication, it kicks your butt the first time and remains challenging but do-able. I'm sure some other folks will chime in with some good ideas for you, too. Have fun with it!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Hi rlynn!

I can attest to Cassie's recommendation of the 30 Day Shred. I have been doing it for 9 weeks and lost 2.5 inches from my waist and 3 inches from my hips. It definitely works and because it's only 20 minutes, I can squeeze it in before my work day starts. I do it 3 times a week but I also run 3 times a week and I am very happy with my results.

I have also heard very good things about the The Biggest Loser: Boot Camp DVD with Bob Harper. A friend of mine swears by Bob!
Old 08-07-2010, 12:54 PM
FitDay Member

30 day shred is great as is the biggest loser last chance workout dvd but I also really enjoy the Womens Health Ultimate Fat Burner DVD. All you need is some 3lb weights (I moved up to 5lb weights about 4 weeks in) You can get it used on amazon pretty reasonably and it is a really good combination of cardio and strength training. I lost 8lbs in the past weeks doing that dvd 4 times a week and using fitday to track my calories. Good Luck!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:42 AM
FitDay Member

30-Day Shred is pretty good, but be warned it's not aerobics, it's pure calisthenics. Anything by Kathy Smith is a good bet. I love all her workout videos, and they are maybe a little more challenging and have more dance moves than the Shred. I don't know how big your little ones are, but when ours were younger I used to play Wiggles DVD's for them and then all of us would do the dance moves. You can work up quite a sweat that way.

I also swear by wrist/ankle weights, and wear them around while I'm doing housework and taking care of the kids.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you everyone for the tips, I just bought the 30 day shred dvd and boy it was a good work out. I just did it about 10 minutes ago and I'm still trying to cool down.