Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-21-2010, 08:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Despite a stressful week I'm walking away with a 3.5lb loss.
Obviously I'd like bigger numbers, but I'm realistic and definitely feeling great. Been walking a mile or so each day, plus 1 hour a day cardio, 4 fitness classes per week and my weights/mat exercises. I've never been so excited about exercise. It's starting to get easier and more of a hobby than a chore.

Well done CD78!!! I'd say together we are kicking butt.

Wahoo! Awesome job!!! You are sooo active! I want to be there with ya! I tried to join the gym last week, but there's a hefty enrollment fee
So for now, I am walking a mile 1x a day, and then usually a couple shorter walks (with the dog).

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Quick update: Got my 30 minute walk in, as well as 15 mins of light weights. Feeling great! Hubby just informed me we're going to dinner & a movie with friends tonight. It's my first time eating at a restaurant since recommitting to a healthier lifestyle. It's an Italian restaurant, and I know some of my most tempting foods will be there. Any recommendations for how to handle it?

I'm not too worried about overdoing it, but thought I'd ask for support before facing the menu unprepared. =) Thanks in advance for your encouragement and advice ladies! You're the best!
Nice, smoosh! My advice for the restaurant is to try to have a soup appetizer (not a cream soup though).
I also found these suggestions online : "However, there are numerous low calorie options. Try the venetian apricot chicken at Olive Garden. It has 380 calories, four grams of fat and eight grams of fiber. It's served with broccoli, asparagus and tomatoes. The linguine marinara has 430 calories, six grams of fat and nine grams of fiber."
Shrimp is usually lower calorie too... depends what you like... Avoid cheese, lots of breads and then just ask for a take home container as soon as your entree comes and halve it... take half home for tomorrow.
Good luck.
I had Applebees for lunch with a friend. It was delicious and only 450 calories
Old 08-21-2010, 08:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
Wahoo! Awesome job!!! You are sooo active! I want to be there with ya! I tried to join the gym last week, but there's a hefty enrollment fee
Hey hun,
Before you can afford to jump in and pay the enrollment fee I'd definitely get a day pass, check it out and have a go. You may hate it, and once you're in a contract with a gym it can be very hard (and expensive) to back out. You may find that it's totally not for you anyway.
It's great that you're getting out there and walking though! Remember to periodically increase your distance, speed or route. Especially when it starts getting easier. Have you tried any other forms of exercise?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

There is no contract. Also, I had a membership there a few years ago...
Old 08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies.

Sorry for the absense my Internet wasn't working. Yes, you heard right. Does that still happen in this day and age? I can't believe how dependent I am on it. Anyways, due to the malfunction I wasn't able to access FD and now I have two empty days. I'm raking my brain for everything I ate but I can't remember it all! What do I do? Won't this put my statistics completely off-balance???

The first week was a success (-4 lbs) but already my weight loss has started to slow down. Inevitable, I know. I really should try getting more exercise in there.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the tips everyone. Hubby & I just got home from a fun evening with friends. I'm happy to report I wasn't terribly tempted at the restaurant -- not nearly as much as I thought I'd be. But it helps that my hubby is supporting me too. He & I shared a 'personal sized veggie pizza', which is normally for one, but was fine for both of us. We knew we'd be having popcorn at the movie, so it was a good choice. Our friends wanted chicken wings as an appetizer, so we had 5 wings each. I came away feeling satisfied, not 'stuffed' (which would have been me in the past).

We went to see "The Other Guys" with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg. It was a fun movie, though really off-beat humor at times. Michael Keaton, Samuel Jackson & Dwane Johnson were also in it.

Hope your Saturday evening was a fun one! Talk to you tomorrow. =)
Old 08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
There is no contract. Also, I had a membership there a few years ago...
That's pretty good then! My gym pulls you into a years contract with a sizable cancellation fee. Hopefully you'll be able to afford the fee in time. It's an amazing tool for those serious enough to use it. x

Well done Smoosh on not going crazy at the restaurant!
I'm yet to face that challenge yet, but we're only likely to go out to eat a few times a year. It's take-out that's my main worry.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Red face Where's the beef or pork in my case!

Good Morning Ladies!

I need to stop eating my husbands cooking. He uses so much salt when cooking his pork ribs. I ate 3 meals of 4oz of meat and I can still 'feel' it in my system. I KNOW BETTER - my body does not digest beef, pork or any meat products quickly. So having those ribs and some garlic ring last night, well lets just say...the scale shows the results this morning.

My weekly weigh in was a disappointment but not unexpected, just a confirmation. So the scale shows that I am up 4#. My overall measurements since I have started FD shows a 4" loss. I have also increased my bicep - ya baby - less fat more muscle. Even though I am up in weight, I am down in inches, crazy!

I, also, realize that I have to made plans NOW for my winter exercise. I will not be able to walk outside once the snow blows and that can come as early as October. I do not have a tread mill nor money for a gym membership. I do have a local mall where I can walk which opens at 7am. It will take some planning on my part and getting up very early if I have to work at 8:30am. Plan, pack lunch, bus to Mall and so on. Is there anything else I can do ladies? Do you find doing video exercises really work? Is it better than walking? H E L P

Time to go and change my signature. (sigh)
Carren

Last edited by carrenross; 08-22-2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Hiya Carren, and everyone! *hugs*

I also have to plan for winter exercise, though I do have a treadmill, which is a great help. I bought it years ago and only used it to hang laundry on until this month! Hahaha... j/k... but it really didn't get as much use as I've been giving it since August 1st, yay!

My mom used to walk laps around our house before we had a treadmill. She would wear a path from the kitchen, down the hall, around the bedroom and back. I used to make fun of her as a teenager for doing that, but she made do with what space we had.

I don't mind working out to fitness DVDs, but some people find that boring. If you learn some basic movements and calisthenics, you can easily work out in your living room.

I use 2 lb. handheld weights for arm toning, and I have been doing 40-50 ab crunches a day, which only takes me a few minutes -- and I go slow!

Sometimes I'll just put on the radio and dance around the house. And if you have space around your computer to work out, you can pull up some videos on youtube that are easy to follow along with. I like Nicole's videos from SparkPeople -- she's friendly, easy to understand, and her workouts are usually 10-20 mins in length.

Anyway, good luck. I know you'll find some options!

Tomorrow is my next measurement day. I'll keep you gals posted!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend,
Smoosh
Old 08-22-2010, 06:01 AM
FitDay Member

I'm right there with you with the exercise. Right now I am walking outside, and it will start getting too cold in October probably. I am debating whether I would use a gym membership or a wii (with the fitness games) more.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:18 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Exercise routine

Originally Posted by smooshmcsmeesh
Hiya Carren, and everyone! *hugs*

I also have to plan for winter exercise, though I do have a treadmill, which is a great help. I bought it years ago and only used it to hang laundry on until this month! Hahaha... j/k... but it really didn't get as much use as I've been giving it since August 1st, yay!

My mom used to walk laps around our house before we had a treadmill. She would wear a path from the kitchen, down the hall, around the bedroom and back. I used to make fun of her as a teenager for doing that, but she made do with what space we had.

I use 2 lb. handheld weights for arm toning, and I have been doing 40-50 ab crunches a day, which only takes me a few minutes -- and I go slow!

Sometimes I'll just put on the radio and dance around the house. Smoosh

Thanks - Smoosh & CD78 - I needed the encouragement.

I actually did laugh out loud at the tread mill laundry hanger! Still makes me smile.
Walk around the house - good idea. Dance to the music - XM 60's radio - doable.
I opened my new Prevention magazine today and it had a quick Kettle work out(pull out section). I tried it this morning with my 3# weight and almost collapsed on the bed. ha ha Okay, that was not as easy as the pictures showed. It is now posted on my bulletin board to do in the mornings. I think I will have to work up to some of the moves. They say 20 minutes tops - uh huh - maybe if I was at peak performance level.
Right now I will try to bend sideways (dumb bell over my head) more than 2 inches! Quite obvious that I am not flexible - unless I have a HOT shower first. Gad, I'm getting old! LOL
So - walk, dance, dumb bell - check, check, check. Will get into a routine. Thanks ladies!
Carren

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.