Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

Default Eating is becoming a bit blah...

The scale today was not my biggest fan, I'm the same weight today as last week, but clothes are beginning to fit better that I wasn't able to get into for a long time. Something positive in the storm over my head it seems.

Monday while working out on the elliptical at home the main bolt snapped and I'm on the prowl for a new elliptical. Of course just after I was suggesting to my DH let's reorganise the spare room and make it into a workout room.

I'm finding that food is becoming something I'm a bit blah about lately. Food is much less of a mystery for the first time ever. I'm excited that friends at work are trying out the site, and seem to be finding it helpful. I know I do, and you ladies are very inspiring. In the past I've given up completely when I had a week with the scale not moving.

I gave away some clothes today that were about the only items that fit in February...I'm not going back to that size ever again. I'm going to try to alter some pants since I'm apparently buying a replacement elliptical.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Thanks all,
Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by GameGal
I had this craving for the last week, couldnt figure out what it was for.. turned out to be for Domino's cheese bread. So I thought well OK, cant be more than couple hungred calories etc... the order, (consisting of 8 small pieces) are you ready for this???? 141 calories, (56 of those from fat), 18 grms carbs, so times that by 8 and... 1128 calories, 448 from fat, 144 carbs.
Oy, that stuff is evil!! I've never had the domino's stuff before, but I make a cheese bread with some low-cal spread (like Smart Balance Light) and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Put it under the broiler for a minute or two (and don't walk away or you will come back to smoldering hockey pucks...), and it is delicious. My husband will put up with having just a salad for dinner if I also make this cheese bread. It's especially good with a french baguette or some sourdough.

I love taking those cravings for things that are less healthy for me and finding a healthier alternative. I think it is so important to be able to eat the foods that you love, just a better version, or you totally lose it at some point! I'm sure we've all done it, but the most important part is to let it go and not beat yourself up too bad. Tomorrow is another day and another opportunity to be healthier!
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Ugh!

Well, what a waste of a day, or should I say 'waist' of a day.
I reverted back to old habit of eating to feel better. However, this time I was feeding a sick stomach. First, the DH said to take Pepto Bismal and thank him later. LOL I took it and THEN read the label stating NOT to take it if diabetic/medicated. Then I ate nuts, earl grey tea, veggie burgers x 2, mayo, cheese whiz and finally bread. OMG Am I completely insane! LOL I still feel sick with a huge load of guilt as dessert. That was the first bread I have had in a week and after all that food, I can honestly say - I didn't taste a thing.
I am SO looking forward to tomorrow and a new, and hopefully unsick, day. I realize now, that I need to get a game plan for days like this. Since I hardly ever, ever get sick - it took me totally by surprise. Any helpful hints would be gratefully accepted. Thanks - burp - Carren
Old 08-18-2010, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default Sick Day Foods...Yeah Been There

True Caren; what is it about being sick that makes a person want to eat? I have never figured that one out. For me it can't be because it reminds me of Mom when I was little;otherwise I would binge on soft-boiled eggs...
b-l-e-e-ch...haven't done that yet!

Maybe we just want to be out of our body. Like right now I could defintely eat a post-dinner. I have to fight it off because I know I am feeling a bit sad from watching a weepy and sentimental movie...and that's what I want to eat over. It is reminding me of some sad things that I thought I had worked through.

Glad I have you all to share this with.

Carol
Old 08-18-2010, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Linda, welcome to fitday. I only started last week too. Looking forward to lots of weight-loss!

You're welcome for the advice, ChunkyDunk. I always find that going on a huge shopping spree keeps my mind off eating. If only I had enough money to spend for the frequency of days like that!! Then again I always get a size smaller to force myself into fitting into them. Does anyone else do that? It may seem strange, but I've kept my favourite pieces of clothing from the golden days when I weighed 160 lbs so that when I lose the weight I can wear them again. I've a cluster of suitcases filled with them for later on. Am I a dreamer?

Zootnarf, it's a really good idea to make yourself your favourite foods without the extra calories. You wouldn't happen to know a low-fat recipe for a Cadbury Boost would you?

Carren, keep up the positive attitude. Don't beat yourself up over it, it only leads to more eating (I know from experience!)

Carol, just because the movie reminded you of certain life experiences doesn't mean that you haven't worked them through. Just because you've got through your issues doesn't mean that you won't have to face reminders of them every now and then. That's what makes us all stronger. Hollywood - you can't live with it, you can't live without it!

Amy
Old 08-18-2010, 02:10 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by A.Maliki
Zootnarf, it's a really good idea to make yourself your favourite foods without the extra calories. You wouldn't happen to know a low-fat recipe for a Cadbury Boost would you?
I had to look up what that was. Never heard of it! I can't say I have a recipe for that exactly, but I do get chocolate cravings that have to be satisfied. I like to keep dark chocolate around for those times because it is so rich that it doesn't take much to satisfy me. I often have a bar of it in the cupboard so I can break off a square when I feel the attack. When I can't trust myself with a whole bar in the house (which is often!), then I buy the ones that are already wrapped up in little individual portions (something like 50-60 calories each).

Originally Posted by A.Maliki
Then again I always get a size smaller to force myself into fitting into them. Does anyone else do that? It may seem strange, but I've kept my favourite pieces of clothing from the golden days when I weighed 160 lbs so that when I lose the weight I can wear them again.
HA! Funny you would mention that today. A few weeks ago I pulled out an old box of clothes I had put away because they were too small for me. I had a pair of jeans that I tried on, but couldn't quite get them over my hips (I'm saddlebag-cursed!). I just tried them again this morning, and I got them all the way on, though it created a frightening muffin top when I buttoned them up. So, no, I don't think that is weird at all, and yes, I do it, too!
Old 08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carrenross
I am SO looking forward to tomorrow and a new, and hopefully unsick, day. I realize now, that I need to get a game plan for days like this. Since I hardly ever, ever get sick - it took me totally by surprise. Any helpful hints would be gratefully accepted.
Tomorrow is a brand new day, and as long as you get back on it, you will be fine. Think of it this way, in spite of how guilty you feel, it probably was STILL a better day than what you were eating before you started in on your diet/lifestyle change. So, you just started a day later than you actually did. And what difference does a day really make anyway? At the end of it all when you are a happy, healthy weight, will it matter that it took ONE extra day to get there? Not as long as you get back to it and start heading down that healthy road again. Don't beat yourself up too bad. We all do it, and the most important thing is to not let it get you too down. You can do it!

Maybe you can make a 'Sick Plan' in case this happens again? Stock up on some comfort foods that are still healthy and save them until you feel like this again. For me it would be chicken noodle soup and some diet 7-up. I think if you plan ahead for your downfall moments, then you will find it easier to not go totally overboard. Maybe even plan in a treat to help settle the hunger/emotion beast back down like a portion-sized pudding cup or mini candy bar or whatever would work best for you. Just a few ideas, your mileage may vary!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by carrenross
Well, what a waste of a day, or should I say 'waist' of a day.
I reverted back to old habit of eating to feel better. However, this time I was feeding a sick stomach. First, the DH said to take Pepto Bismal and thank him later. LOL I took it and THEN read the label stating NOT to take it if diabetic/medicated. Then I ate nuts, earl grey tea, veggie burgers x 2, mayo, cheese whiz and finally bread. OMG Am I completely insane! LOL I still feel sick with a huge load of guilt as dessert. That was the first bread I have had in a week and after all that food, I can honestly say - I didn't taste a thing.
I am SO looking forward to tomorrow and a new, and hopefully unsick, day. I realize now, that I need to get a game plan for days like this. Since I hardly ever, ever get sick - it took me totally by surprise. Any helpful hints would be gratefully accepted. Thanks - burp - Carren
Ugh, it must just be that time of year. I wasn't ailing from stomach issues, though...mine was a nasty little summer cold that is still hanging around a bit today.

I didn't really have a plan, but what I did was lower my calorie intake a bit to compensate for the lack of exercise & wallowing around on the couch. I didn't exercise at all; it's generally better to let my body use all the energy I have to fight off illness - I get better a lot faster that way. I also made sure I had plenty of low-sodium chicken noodle soup & "light" orange juice to make sure I had plenty of vitamin C without blowing out my carb intake for the day (strawberries and other berries are also a great source of Vitamin C without near as many carbs/sugars as orange/fruit juice, FYI). Also when you have congestion, stay away from milk because it can make it worse (though cheese is OK).

It also helped that when I get sick, I don't really want to eat that much...though of course I was craving carbs like crazy. But I crave carbs with every bump in the road...illness, stress, exhaustion, so that's nothing new.

I also tried not to stress too much about it. I didn't go as low on calories as I would've liked, and on Sunday my carbs were a little higher than usual, but I was really OK with it. Giving yourself a few days off is not going to mess up your plan...my body kept on burning calories like everything was fine & dandy until Monday, so the few days of no exercise really didn't have a big impact.

The hardest thing for me was climbing on that treadmill this morning after 4 days off (I had to take a few extra days, and my body DID notice those other 2 days). But I pushed through it and will be fully back on track next week.

Illnesses & random life events can make this journey hard, but being able to roll with the punches and jump right back on your plan just makes your resolve even stronger. I hope you feel better soon and don't let a rough day or two get you down!

Last edited by mstaff4564; 08-18-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Really bad couple of days.

I'm having one big fat bad time at the moment.

So I took on that job, and unwittingly agreed to work yesterday, today and tomorrow. However, following a gruelling workout on Tuesday and having an almost 2 hour each way commute I came home hungry, exhausted, very sore and an emotional wreck. Managed to drag myself out to Water-Aerobics last night, but on coming home I had a nervous breakdown followed by hardly any sleep, and I've spent the morning crying, miserable and still very sore. Fair to say that I let the woman know this morning that I wouldn't be going back.

So now I'm worried about how everyone else in the house is going to react. I'm the only person unable to hold a job and even though the need for one isn't major right now I feel guilty.
Didn't eat very well yesterday either. Had breakfast as usual, around 9:30, but after that my next food was 17:30, and I didn't eat dinner until nearly 21:00. Still managed to make good choices, but I felt sick all day from not being able to eat at work.

Not a very positive post, but it's not been a very positive couple of days, sorry.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:20 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo

So now I'm worried about how everyone else in the house is going to react. .
You need to take care of yourself! Who else lives in your household?

Such a long commute could really make things difficult, but planning ahead and getting enough rest is neccessary too! Is it possible to find a job closer to home? To work part time hours?
I know some will say that if you don't have to work (financially), you shouldn't feel pressured to do so, however, work gives most people far more than just a paycheck. It gives a sense of worth, a sense of "I can do this" (or "i AM doing this"), makes you feel like you are contributing, etc etc .. and on and on. The wrong job can make you feel like utter crap though!

Before applying to a job, you need to realistically think about what you are CAPABLE of doing (time, distance, energy level, job duties included). I really think that EVERYONE can work -- they just need the right job for them.
Then, you need to look at what you are WILLING to do.
Then you need to look at ALL options- not JUST whats advertised. Some companies don't place ads in the paper- they might list on their websites... or they might not advertise at all, due to having applications coming in steadily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.