Community
Notices

Awesome in August ... 100+ ladies

Old 08-13-2010, 03:56 AM
FitDay Member

Boy, that is just the pits when you know you've done well all week, but the scale doesn't show it. That has thrown me completely off the wagon more than once, and I had to find another system to gauge my progress. I know it's not for everyone, but I actually only weigh myself once a month. I reward myself (non-food) based on how well I followed my plan instead of on how many pounds I've lost. What I eat and how much I exercise is in my control - what the scale says is not.

Of course, this may not work if you are still working on what to eat and how much to exercise, and you need to adjust as you see or don't see the results. I already know what I need to do to lose weight in a slow but consistent manner, so I just need to do it. That's where I focus my motivation techniques and rewards. I also get the reward of seeing progress every month without being frustrated by weekly, or even daily, fluctuations. It really has taken a lot of pressure off for me, and most importantly, it has stopped the downward spiral of defeat that comes with seeing no progress after a week of being on track.

Whatever you do, hang in there! The progress shows up eventually, if you just stick with it. That darn scale is just not showing it yet, but it will! And your body is getting healthier, regardless of what the scale says.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:11 AM
FitDay Member

Dont get discouraged CD! I have been doing the same thing.. exercising a lot, eating within ( actually well under my range) and in like 3 weeks have only lost 2 more pounds... but the other side of it is, my measurements are changing. Dont give up. And agin, if this lack of losing has lasted a week or 2, maybe it's time to drop your total calorie count by a 100 a day or 50 a day. One other thing I have noticed with me is while I eat low calories ( or maybe BECAUSE I have less calories,) my fat percentage always seems high and that may be why I am not losing like I should be. Be sure to keep that fat part of the pie small.

WTG! smoosh!! I think I would drop dead if I jogged or ran even one side of my block!! As for distance, if it is a standard block, it take 8 blocks to make a mile. And if its on the 'short ends of a block, 8 of those make 1/2 mile.

Have a good weekend all!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Interesting Article

I am sure this isnt the best place for this article, but this is the section of the forums I am most comfy posting in, so hope it helps someone

Restaurant dinner dates. Sunday supper with the family. A nachos-supreme-enhanced happy hour. While weekends are full of fun, they're also full of food. (Hello, Japanese dinner on Friday nights, shrimp tempura included!) People take in up to 400 extra calories over Saturday and Sunday, according to a study in the Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, which can lead to a weight gain of 6 pounds over the course of a year. But with these smart, easy-to-implement strategies, you can savor your favorite leisure activities and stay slim. Try these simple tweaks—TGIF!

At the movies: You can emerge from the movie theater without having consumed 900 calories worth of buttered popcorn. Here's how: Before the previews, fuel up with a healthy snack such as almonds or pretzels so you aren't hungry and overcome with munchies when the flick starts—and the urge to dive into your pal's Goobers or greasy popcorn. Need a sweet treat? Twizzlers are a relatively low-calorie choice, and you can split them with a friend. Craving salt but don't like to share? Order a child's size popcorn (without the butter) and a Diet Coke (300 calories, 20 grams fat).

Sunday brunch: Go ahead, order the eggs Benedict. It sounds like a splurge, but the eggs are poached, so there's no oil; Canadian bacon is less fatty than its American cousin; and the English muffin has fewer calories than two slices of whole-wheat toast. Ask for the hollandaise sauce on the side and limit yourself to 2 tablespoons. Or try a made-to-order omelet (ask for two egg whites and one whole egg) with spinach, tomatoes and a sprinkle of feta cheese, with a side of fruit salad and unbuttered rye toast (596 calories)—you'll get protein from the eggs as well as a dose of fiber from the spinach.

Saturday night dinner: A little research will keep you svelte—try logging onto the restaurant's website ahead of time and decide what to order, including your special drink. You'll be less likely to spontaneously place a gigantic order when the waiter arrives at your table. Order something you like, but limit your portions to keep calories to less than about 600. At the steakhouse, try a petite fillet with steamed vegetables and half a baked potato. Out for Mexican? Try two fish tacos and a few chips dipped in guacamole (ask the waiter to remove the bowl when you've had a handful). Japanese night? Go for edamame and 8 to 10 pieces of sushi. And rather than order a calorie-filled specialty cocktail, indulge in a 100-calorie drink, such as a small glass of wine or light beer, while you dine.

Happy hour: Aside from adding calories (a single margarita can top off at 400), drinking may make you more prone to storing fat in your middle, so rather than reward yourself after a tough week with 2-for-1 night, treat yourself to a Friday manicure, movie or other fun time—you'll feel pampered without packing on pounds. Want to meet pals at your local spot? Try choosing a bubbly toast, like Champagne or Prosecco, which you'll be inclined to drink more slowly than a noncarbonated drink. Research also shows that loud music makes you drink more, so if the sound system is thumping, put down the glass and start dancing!

For everyday ways to stay happy and healthy follow Lucy Danziger on Twitter.

Last edited by GameGal; 08-13-2010 at 04:21 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by A.Maliki
Hi, everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Amy and I have 120 pounds to lose. I just started my latest attempt to lose weight yesterday, and I hope Fitday will help me along the way.
Welcome! You have come to the best ever forum for support, encouragement and insight. Remember - YOU can do it! We will be here for you through out.
Carren
Old 08-13-2010, 05:41 AM
FitDay Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
This week has been frustrating, I have exercised more, ate better, and I am losing less Its very disappointing
CD78 - you are cool! Your sharing is motivating. I look at this lifestyle change as a playground - exciting, fun, scary, empowering. Today, you are on the teeter-totter - up/down! I am sure you will be in the 'swing' of things very soon. Keep the faith, you can do it.
Carren
Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

GameGal thanks for the article. It confirms several areas that I have had to endure in the last month. I use the internet for restaurants to find out ahead of what I will have - it works better and I feel more confident in ordering. I always have water with lemon and limit sodas, even diet ones. I do not drink alcohol (35 years sober) so no temptation there - besides, like smoking - I am just to CHEAP to do either of them again. I will admit to being stumped the other day at the movie matinee. They were giving away popcorn and drink with each ticket. Never turning down a freebie had me getting both. I did decline the butter and got a diet cola. I ate about 2 cups of popcorn before the movie with my drink. Since I was there so early, I had lots of time to 'think' about what I was doing. I finally decided - free or not - next time, just decline them. Reason - I do not like popcorn, how simple is that. Good to know eh! LOL Better to take a single 100 calorie serving of something with me. Love the Eggs Benedict!

Today, since it is thunderstorms, high winds here. I decided to do housework as exercise instead of walking...dishes are soaking. LOL No, really, I decided to look pretty today -DH home from work today - so I washed up, put on my favorite clothes, makeup and did my hair. He was impressed and has be into the computer room several times to 'talk' already. Hmmm. It is nice to put on my 'thinner' clothes, it makes me feel ... powerful, encouraged, happy. Today, I dressed for me and what a boost. Have a great day everyone, treat yourself today. Carren

Last edited by carrenross; 08-13-2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:10 AM
FitDay Member

thanks for the support guys Well, I am sticking with it.
I don't think I need to drop my calories anymore just yet (last week I averaged about 1850 a day and lost 10 lbs, this week I'm averaging about 1650 a day).
My body is just fighting me LOL.
I have kept close tabs on the fat ... I try to keep it under 40-50 grams per day (couple days went over, but nothing out of control LOL)

Ok why is it that when I use online calorie calculator to determine how many calories I should eat in order to lose weight they ALL say 2700 a day. If that's really the case, then by eating 1600-1800 a day, am I freaking my body out? Can you really be in "starvation mode" on that many calories a day?

I'd love to hear what someone else who started at over 300 lbs did as far as calorie intake and gradually reducing it... (where they started, etc). I was never one to eat a huge quantity of food... it was just that I ate JUNK. So if I were to try to add over 500 calories, I would have to be swapping something out to eat something that is bad for me..... in order to even intake that much food (if that makes sense). Am I being too restrictive too soon for my weight? I feel fine... full all the time, have energy, etc.

Last edited by ChunkyDunk78; 08-13-2010 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by ChunkyDunk78
thanks for the support guys Well, I am sticking with it.
I don't think I need to drop my calories anymore just yet (last week I averaged about 1850 a day and lost 10 lbs, this week I'm averaging about 1650 a day).
My body is just fighting me LOL.
I have kept close tabs on the fat ... I try to keep it under 40-50 grams per day (couple days went over, but nothing out of control LOL)

Ok why is it that when I use online calorie calculator to determine how many calories I should eat in order to lose weight they ALL say 2700 a day. If that's really the case, then by eating 1600-1800 a day, am I freaking my body out? Can you really be in "starvation mode" on that many calories a day?

I'd love to hear what someone else who started at over 300 lbs did as far as calorie intake and gradually reducing it... (where they started, etc). I was never one to eat a huge quantity of food... it was just that I ate JUNK. So if I were to try to add over 500 calories, I would have to be swapping something out to eat something that is bad for me..... in order to even intake that much food (if that makes sense). Am I being too restrictive too soon for my weight? I feel fine... full all the time, have energy, etc.
Your energy levels are usually a good indicator if something is out of whack with your calories being too low. Your body wouldn't be getting enough fuel, which would usually lead to more fatigue.

But 1650, IMO, seems a little low for your current weight. If you were seeing greater success at the higher calorie range, then it might be an issue with too few calories. Are you also exercising more? It looks like you have been. Increasing exercise while decreasing calories might cause your body to freak out a little. I honestly think this is what happened to me. I had great 5lb losses my first few weeks, then the scale was all over the place. But that was also the time I started doing my 2 hour swim & boosting my exercise to 5-6 days a week instead of just 3 or 4. I was also cutting out a few hundred extra calories a week too. BUT I am confident this is the problem because I'm wracked with fatigue...I know I'm overdoing it with restricting too many calories & trying to exercise too much.

You've been going at this strong for 4 weeks now (it looks like). The smaller loss could also be a number of things; water weight, TOM, body readjusting to the new weight. It might be good to keep going for another week & see if you get a bigger loss next week before you change anything, just to make sure it wasn't a random blip.

Of course, it's also good to look at things like ratios & different exercises too just to change things up a bit for your body. It might be getting a little comfortable with what you've been doing for 4 weeks now

And finally, I'd suggest taking measurements of your body too to use as a motivator when your body might slow down on the weight loss. I've had weeks where I only lost a little or even gained, but seeing the inch loss helped keep me motivated!

A little bit of good news on my end: per almeeker's suggestion, I started cutting my carbs to 45-50%. I'm still a little tired, but it will take a bit for my body to readjust to the new levels. But this morning, I dropped a whopping 1.8lbs on the scale...in one day! I know some of it's water weight, but still, WOOHOO!
Old 08-13-2010, 12:50 PM
FitDay Member

Hello Smoosh,
I saw your post and your measurements are close to mine! I just set my long range goals to next hit 255 myself. Hey I love and need my plant protein shakes because of my cardiomyopathy. I'm trying to reduce meat protein in my diet or just stick to other proteins that fly and swim. Tell me please how you lost so much weight in ten days I need that!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:02 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mstaff4564

A little bit of good news on my end: per almeeker's suggestion, I started cutting my carbs to 45-50%. I'm still a little tired, but it will take a bit for my body to readjust to the new levels. But this morning, I dropped a whopping 1.8lbs on the scale...in one day! I know some of it's water weight, but still, WOOHOO!

Wahoo awesome

and thanks for the tips... I upped my calories a little bit today and really packed in the protein LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.