Notices

Overcoming Injuries & Frustration

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM
FitDay Member

Unhappy Overcoming Injuries & Frustration

I am at a loss. I was doing so well, and it has just come to a stop. I started Christmas Day, 2009. I was down around 25-30 pounds. What a great feeling! I was having to buy new clothes, getting lots of compliments, and feeling great about myself. Then, the injuries start. It happens every time. I have "fallen arches" in my feet. Painful, but I want to keep working out. Every time I do cardio, it aggravates the problem. Then I pulled a muscle in my back a couple of weeks ago. That put a stop to working out for two weeks! Ugh! Not to mention, my bad knee that they won't fix. I have gotten used to the pain in my knee, but I don't need all this extra stress on my body. The more injuries I get, the harder it is to workout and the more I overeat. I have gained back around 5-10 pounds. My jeans are starting to fit tight again. Please, can someone give me some encouraging words. Does anyone else have problems with "fallen arches"? What kinds of exercise do you do that doesn't bother it?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:59 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Littlelenna *hugs*...
First of all, I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering some injuries. That's always really frustrating and can be very painful. I don't have fallen arches, but I am prone to ankle sprains, shin splints, etc. and that has hindered my exercise efforts in the past.

I'm fairly new to the forums, and don't have the experience that other members may have to share about exercise alternatives. But I did want to encourage you to not give up on yourself. The road to success definitely has some speed bumps and pot holes along the way. Don't fret... just focus. Believe in yourself and try to find support through this community and your offline friends/family.

I wish you well -- you can do it! =)
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM
FitDay Member

Oh honey, I'm so sorry your hurting. I feel your pain, well not exactly your pain, I have plenty enough of my own, so I'm right there with you. I don't have fallen arches, but I do have bad knees, the right one has been reconstructed - twice. It seems to be taking all the exercise in stride, but it appears that the left one is getting almost as bad, and all the cardio is really hard on it. I've popped it out at least 4 times in the last couple of weeks, and it's swollen and stiff more often than not. I also have some how or another damaged my right rotator cuff, the doc took me off weight lifting and put me on muscle relaxants and I have to go to PT for that later this week. The shoulder causes me to have residual pain in my neck and back, which is actually worse than the shoulder itself.

What I know for certain is that these things happen in life, getting older sucks BIG TIME, and generally speaking the fastest road to recovery involves more exercise, which is going to cause more pain. Sometimes you have to grit your teeth and get through it, and other times you need to give yourself the day off.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:58 AM
FitDay Member

Feel better soon. Post often. I fell this weekend and broke my nose so I feel your pain...........also new to FD and trying to loose weight doing low carb.

Maybe we can help each other.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:21 AM
FitDay Member

Hi and I am so sorry you are in pain. I dont have fallen arches but my friend does. He got some sort of insert that seems to help, but I wonder if you can do no/low impact exercises? Water aroebics, aquasize, swimming, biking etc.

Good luck and like others have said, dont give up, just get back in the lifestyle groove and keep coming here for encouragement.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 AM
FitDay Member

I hear ya, no fallen arches here but I do have chronic tendonitis and joint pain, especially my arms. The only "real" cardio I can do is the arc trainer at the gym, which is very similar to an elliptical. At home I'm pretty much limited to walking (with kids in tow, can't get enough steam up to really work a sweat), pilates, and yoga. The yoga always makes me feel better even if all I do is the easy stretches. Sometimes I just can't, my body won't let me. Sometimes I just can't find the time. But I chip away at it the best I can and try to eat healthy at least. That's harder when I don't exercise too though, already feeling like crap I may as well hit the carbs mentality sets in.