Notices

5-15 Pounders Weekly Check-In 8/3/10

Old 08-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Arrow 5-15 Pounders Weekly Check-In 8/3/10

Morning everyone! How was this past week?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 AM
FitDay Member

Hello ladies!

My week was great. I figured out a few things and made a few changes and it reflected on the scale. Last week I figured out that the sugar free gum I was chewing (and chewing a lot of) was messing up my stomach. I stopped chewing that and the gas and pain went away. I weighed myself on Saturday and I was 139.6! Finally my work in July showed on the scale. My husband and I realized that we were over-working and stressing our bodies with our constant cardio and we have recently started focusing on working at lower intensities more frequently. We also cut the rest of the grains out of our diet which has lowered my carb intake (I'm trying to keep it under 100) and this morning my weight was 138.8! Yay!

Thanks for your encouragement last month. I'm looking forward to a great August. Enjoy your week everyone!

Amber
Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, Amber, great going for you! Sounds like you have it all figured out. I think that using your brain is just as important as eating right and exercising, and getting to know what your body responds to is a big boost. Congrats on the hard work and on using your head!

I had a horrible week, sorry to say. I gained 5 pounds at the beach (although, doing the math, I can't see how that was possible in 5 days, so I will weigh in again later this week to see what residuals flush out now that I'm back to eating clean). I knew I would slip up a bit, but I got into this mindset of, "I'm never going to get to eat these foods," so I felt like I had to try everything. Some of it was peer pressure, too, and I should know better; I just felt like I was a downer asking for brown rice while everyone else wanted pizza. On a positive note, natural consequences...I felt like crap yesterday and ate very clean and feel better today. I'm headed to cardio class now and I'm really glad to be back on track, and so is the family.

The other positive thing was feeling good in my bikini, the first one I've ever had. I wouldn't put it on today (), but the 3 days I did wear it, it felt good .

Hopefully you all had a week like Amber's and not mine, and I will strive for a better report next week!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:07 AM
FitDay Member

Amber- Congratulations! It sounds like things are going well for you. Keep it up!

Cassie-You knew you were going to let loose a little on vacation, so don't let the scale bother you. I find when I eat things out of the norm for me, I hold water crazy, so you will be down again soon. Good job getting right back on to what you know works for you! I am still jealous that you can wear a bikini, but I am glad that you can feel good in it to!

I have come to the conclusion that I can't weigh myself for a while. It is too damaging to my day when I do and don't see any results. I don't want to be controlled by the number.I think I need to start to feel comfortable in my skin the way it is and work more on eating better everyday instead of part of the week, and continuing to tweak my exercise routine. So, I want to still check in with you guys on Tuesdays, but it may be a bit before I weigh myself again.

Hope you are all doing well.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 AM
FitDay Member

You ladies are motivating!

I'm only on day 2 of clean eating, and feeling a lot better. I went to the gym this morning, only a half hour of cardio and I was too tired to do weights but was congratulating myself for making it! I read an interesting article on mercola.com about getting better results by limiting cardio to 20 minutes and incorporating intervals. I can find the link if anyone is interested.

Amber -- I've had the same reaction to "sugar-free" foods. It has to do with the sugar alcohols in them, you can google for more info. But maybe you figured that part out already, too!

Glad to be here.
Anne
Old 08-05-2010, 07:30 AM
FitDay Member

I'm a little late in my check in, but I'm back from vacation and wanted to keep myself accountable!

I had a great time, and I was so glad I hit my goal, because the entire week was spent on a houseboat wearing nothing but bathing suits. Just thinking about it was enough to keep me motivated, and the hard work paid off. I didn't cringe when the camera came out (although there was some straightening up, sucking in, tucking in, etc.). My hubby was thrilled with the way I looked, which made me feel so good, and also helps with the motivation. Yes, I'm doing it for me, but it's very nice to get positive feedback from my guy!

Well, after an awesome week, we returned to reality and it's been one of the toughest weeks of my life. We are fostering an 8 month old baby girl, and we've had her since she was 4 days old. Her mother hasn't really stepped up, but is continuing to get more rights and unsupervised visitation. Her violent ex con father is suddenly in the picture and fighting for rights, and he now has access to my family's names and phone numbers. SCARY! I got into it on the phone with the case worker, who seems to be advocating much more for the mom than for the baby. The worst part is that the poor baby girl has been sick with a mystery virus since we got home, in and out of the ER, running fevers of and on, and is completely miserable. Today is the first day she's let me put her down at all, and I'm hoping and praying she's getting better now.

Needless to say, my eating hasn't been great. In the last five days, I've only left the house to go to the dr's office or ER with the baby, so at least I haven't had outside temptations. I swing from eating clean to emotional eating and back again though, and workouts have been nonexistent.

I only gained a couple pounds on our vacation, in spite of eating what I wanted. We were pretty physically active, so I know that helped. Anyway, I'm back to 138-139, but I'm giving myself another month to hit 132.

Keep up the good work, Amber and Anne, and hang in there Cassie. Sorry to be a downer... I'm sure I'll have better news to report next week!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
FitDay Member

I didn't lose a darn pound this week! I was so good all week, and then Monday I went to an All You Can Eat buffet.

Well, no shocker, I didn't lose any weight. At least I managed to maintain, though.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Sarah, congrats on the great job you did on vacation. I think the two of us are a good example of Do This, Not That !

Anyway, I wanted to comment to tell you to hang in there with your foster daughter. I have worked with "the system" for years and I know it breaks your heart sometimes. There are times it just doesn't seem fair and times that the best interest of the child, the thing that is supposed to be first and foremost, is put onto the back burner, which makes me spitting mad. It sounds like you know this roller coaster, but that doesn't make it any more fun. I sure hope she is physically better soon; that will give you more energy and peace of mind to deal with the other crazy stuff.

I joke about having to get a license to be a parent, but it's only half a joke. Thank you for opening your home and your hear to foster kids; foster parents for the most part are truly the unsung heroes of the process.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM
FitDay Member

Sarah,
I hope you are patient with yourself in with your eating habits while you are being an angel to this little baby!
Anne
Old 08-05-2010, 06:21 PM
FitDay Member

Thank you Cassie and Anne. The encouragement means a lot, and the baby was feeling much better today. Her fever stayed away, although she broke out in a mystery rash, so we're headed back to the doctor tomorrow morning. I'm looking forward to a new week... it's got to get better, right?

Julie- hopefully you'll see a good loss next week! Going to a buffet before weigh in could have caused some water retention, and so if you maintained after that, I'm sure you had some fat loss. Keep up the good work!