Notices

Hello, I'm new! :3

Old 08-02-2010, 07:02 PM
FitDay Member

Cool Hello, I'm new! :3

Hello, I'm new. When I first started keeping tabs on my diet and physical activity on this site, I lost weight right away.

I have a lot to lose though, and quickly became unmotivated. Does any one have any tips on how to stay motivated?

Also, I'm not sure how to eat and when to fit in my fitness activities it seems. I was considering something along the lines of nutri-system for food, but I found that to be too expensive. If there is a daily plan I could follow exactly, for both physical activities and diet, I think that would help me tremendously. I have a hard time with the "how to" in this area. :P I think a plan set in stone would be easier to follow. If any one knows of one, please tell me. I'd be very grateful.

Another question: does any one know of a good diet for people with PCOS? I know my condition can complicate things. :P
Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
FitDay Member

Heya, welcome to the forums!

I'm not big on diets, but as for staying motivated there's a few points that might help.

1; Don't deny yourself treats, but be sparing. It'll give you something to reward yourself with if you've had good results on the scale.
2; Don't always do the same work-out routine. You'll get bored, and your body will get bored too. Try different things; gym, swimming, fitness classes, power-walking, work-out DVDs, etc. If you're low on funds run the stairs a few times, vacuum your whole house, do some gardening, put on your favourite music and design your own aerobic work-out. Exercise doesn't have to be boring!
3; Keep a written blog or journal. It's so good reading back on your past achievements and seeing how you were then compared to now. Read other people's blogs/journals aswell, it's great getting inspiration from others.
And 4; Use FitDay! There's much to learn, and on the forums you can always get answers to any questions you may have.

Good luck on your journey!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by WeightlossBoo
Heya, welcome to the forums!

I'm not big on diets, but as for staying motivated there's a few points that might help.

1; Don't deny yourself treats, but be sparing. It'll give you something to reward yourself with if you've had good results on the scale.
2; Don't always do the same work-out routine. You'll get bored, and your body will get bored too. Try different things; gym, swimming, fitness classes, power-walking, work-out DVDs, etc. If you're low on funds run the stairs a few times, vacuum your whole house, do some gardening, put on your favourite music and design your own aerobic work-out. Exercise doesn't have to be boring!
3; Keep a written blog or journal. It's so good reading back on your past achievements and seeing how you were then compared to now. Read other people's blogs/journals aswell, it's great getting inspiration from others.
And 4; Use FitDay! There's much to learn, and on the forums you can always get answers to any questions you may have.

Good luck on your journey!
Thank you very much. I really appreciate your reply
Old 08-05-2010, 02:54 PM
FitDay Member

Hi Melody,
Welcome to the forums and back to FitDay! I have a lot to lose myself and these forums are a great way to stay motivated. Having a solid support group to help you through the ups, downs & all-arounds of getting healthier makes a difference.

In the past, when I've attempted to get fit, I would be gung-ho with enthusiasm for the first few weeks. Walking the walk, talking the talk, but I never really engaged with others for help.

Being online makes this so much easier. I don't know about you, but I'm on my computer alot! So having access to the resources, like those here, is a blessing.

Just make it a part of your routine. Check in several times a day. Use the tools provided here -- the reports are really helpful -- and while logging everything you eat may feel like a chore at times, it does make such a difference.

As to diet & fitness, I am no expert there, but personally I'm trying to get more veggies & fruits in my diet, as well as lean meats and lots of water. I'm also working slowly into an exercise routine since I've been very sedentary for many years. Stretching, walking, dancing... and I'm trying to do a little something everyday. Rather than 1 hour workouts, I'm doing 10-15 minutes to start out, and hope to increase that to longer stretches as my body becomes used to it.

Anyway, glad you're here and hope to see more posts from you!

Best always,
Smoosh

Last edited by smooshmcsmeesh; 08-05-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 AM
FitDay Member

Hello and welcome! Congrats on the weight you've already lost! You're on the right track!

It is difficult to stay motivated, but it can be done! Here's an idea in addition to what others have suggested: print out motivational quotes and post them where you need to see them (on the fridge or cupboards, on your bathroom mirror, on your computer screen, etc.) Here is a site with some wonderful motivation and weight-loss related quotes: Motivational Quotes If you click on the quotes, you can print them with a pretty background. =)

I also am not a fan of specific diets. I find that programs and diets are things that you eventually quit, making it more likely that you'll re-gain weight. On the other hand, if you focus on eating healthy, that's something you can do for the rest of your life.

There are many sites (FitDay included) that give guidlines for how many calories you should consume per day to lose weight. I would follow that, then focus on getting plenty of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats. Give it a try! You can do it!

As for fitting in exercise, do you watch TV at all throughout the day? If so, use commercial breaks to do sit-ups, push-ups, climb stairs, etc. When you go somewhere, park your car as far as possible from the door to get in some extra steps. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Little changes like those add up and will help in your weight loss!

Best of luck!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:52 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Melody..Welcome! I have been on FitDay for a whole 5 days - but can tell you that this is the place to find the answers. Lots of people, various stages of transitions and lots of good advice and ideas that work for them.
My journey started a year ago, due to health reasons. I wasn't focused on weight loss until I got some more info on my chronic illness and what I was able to do, recommended to do and told to do - ha ha - by my great doctor.
I call it my "eat clean regime". I need to be strict about the carbs (diabetes) and balanced with my protein and good fat. The internet is a wealth of info, just pick and choose what is right for you and you will be on track to losing weight sensibly. For me the light-bulb moment was when I realized that the Canada Food Guide REALLY WORKED! I must admit to be a work in process and enjoy the journey each day - ups and downs. As for exercise - I have been sedentary since I have been a teenager. Now I have started to walk.
I started with 10 minutes a day, once around the trailer park and gradually increased it. I can now walk to up to one hour! I was motivated by wearing a pedometer daily and being able to actually see how much I moved, how many km's I put on and it is so encouraging. My goal is to run - that is my hearts desire for years. I am at 247# and hope to be able to run by next spring after more weight loss.
I CAN DO IT and SO CAN U!