Notices

Need to eat more Protein!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM
FitDay Member

Default Need to eat more Protein!!!

I have a hard time getting enough protein. Can anyone give me advise???
Old 07-24-2010, 03:34 PM
FitDay Member

I've found that hummus, as well as just simply biting the bullet and eating more meat has helped a whole bunch! Though if those are not an option then I would recommend finding a protein powder that you like and adding that to your daily glass of milk!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 AM
FitDay Member

I agree with the protein powder suggestion. I'm vegetarian, and that really helps on days where I'm struggling to get enough protein.

Here are a few of my favorite protein sources:

- Cottage cheese (I usually mix in vegetables, or if I'm craving something sweet I'll mix in Splenda and cinnamon. Sounds gross, but it's really good!)
- Greek yogurt (I like the fat free, flavored versions best)
- Light string cheese
- Edamame (I buy it in the frozen vegetable section, already shelled. It's great to add to salads, wraps, or just to eat by itself! Dry roasted edamame is also good in trail mix)
- Eggs or egg beaters
- Raw almonds
- Beans
Old 07-25-2010, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

A small can of tuna has 23-28 grams of protein, I also like the occasional protein bar. I don't eat them every day, but when I crave a candy bar, those work pretty well to keep me on track. I also eat a lot of reduced fat cheese, light cold cuts (turkey and chicken mostly) and some varieties of bread also contain more protein than you would think.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

Well first I just want to ask what kind of diet you are on? A lot of people seem to think you need more protein than you really do. I know I know I get tpoo much sometimes.
My suggestions are the same as what people have already posted. Soy beans, other beans, greek yogurt, lean meats, egg whites, and cottage cheese. And actually I like the sweet cottage cheese with some frozen berries mixed in. It also makes a great sub for stuff like mayo and sour cream in recipes. If I have some fresh veggies I'll blend some cottage cheese with ranch dip mix or some spices and vinegar for something to go with them.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by teartheskyout
A lot of people seem to think you need more protein than you really do.
That's a very good point, actually. I was one of those people who thought they had to go crazy with the protein at one point, but after talking to both my doctor and a friend of mine who's studying to be a personal trainer, I learned differently. Generally, here are the numbers to look for:

Protein consumption for the average person: 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight

Protein consumption for avid exercisers: 1.5 grams per kilogram of body weight

Protein consumption for athletes looking to gain muscle: 1.8 grams per kilogram of body weight

You can find these numbers referenced by a number of nutritionists and body builders. If you'd like a few sources, though, here are a couple of links to support this:

Weight Training - Quick Tip

How Much Protein Per Day Should You Eat?

Daily Protein Requirements and Protein Intake